Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The follow-on question:

"Why do you do THAT for a living?"
The usual answer I give/receive is "that sounds interesting" (even if it really doesn't). Most people who are high-ups in some company will say, "I work in finance" or the like rather than "I'm COO of XYZ Corporation".

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What part of making "intrusive and personal inquiries" did you not comprehend as being rude and uncouth? Other topics that are prohibited in polite company, besides personal finances, include politics, religion, and sex. But I would not expect you to know that since you clearly were never taught proper decorum and etiquette.

Feel free to ask whatever question appeals to you. Your intrusive and boorish questions will instantly demonstrate that you are someone who is socially inept and not someone who should be around polite company.
You are ridiculously uptight about what is acceptable behavior. You seem to think that there is a generally accepted definition of etiquette. I suppose life needs to be tidy and predictable for you. You are amazingly judgmental. It seems though that the real reason you object so strongly is that YOU don't like being asked. You don't like the answer you have to give (whatever it is).

For most of my adult life asking or being asked "what do you do for a living" is a common and non-controversial question. It is just a social question that might generate additional conversation. If the person asking the question is an ass - then the nature of the question changes. Otherwise learning what someone does is often very interesting since most of the time a person does something different from what I do.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

Etiquette is a code of behavior that outlines expectations for proper social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society.
LMAO. That is a near word-for-word copy of the definition of Etiquette on Wikipedia.

Miss Manners would be very disappointed that you did not credit your source. Plagiarism is frowned upon in polite society. Tsk. Tsk.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
I would not be caught dead in public with 99.9% of CD posters since it is painfully obvious that they are socially dysfunctional.
You pass judgment on people based off of what they post on an internet forum that takes up maybe 5% of their time of their day? Really?

Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in public with you. It's painfully obvious you're socially dysfunctional.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You pass judgment on people based off of what they post on an internet forum that takes up maybe 5% of their time of their day? Really?

Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in public with you. It's painfully obvious you're socially dysfunctional.
Bingo.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
What is it about Alaska?

Just kidding...

"Why don't you have kids?" can be a perfectly innocent question, but considering all the possible reasons I find it probably the most insensitive question.

I've been asked that by people I barely know, and it always makes me flinch.

My job has a terrible stereotype. Not only are we morons who can't read, we are completely insane

Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
LMAO. That is a near word-for-word copy of the definition of Etiquette on Wikipedia.

Miss Manners would be very disappointed that you did not credit your source. Plagiarism is frowned upon in polite society. Tsk. Tsk.
Perhaps. But anyone with common sense would appreciate that they used an actual definition from a source, as opposed to posting mindless crap they just made up. Such as implying that asking someone what they do for a living is rude. Seems pretty silly.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
What is it about Alaska?

Just kidding...

"Why don't you have kids?" can be a perfectly innocent question, but considering all the possible reasons I find it probably the most insensitive question.

I've been asked that by people I barely know, and it always makes me flinch.

My job has a terrible stereotype. Not only are we morons who can't read, we are completely insane
Are you a Democratic Senator from California or New York?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Have you ever been out at a gathering with people you meet for the first time and everyone is getting along well and then someone asks "hey what do you do for a living??"

I find that to be rude. I read that in France you could go to a dinner party every other night with several couples for a year and NO ONE would dare ask what you do for a living. They would ask questions like what book did you read last, Or have you visited the Louve museum or some sort of museum or discuss the arts.

But why do we Americans have the tendency to do this?? I hired someone to do some work for me and that was one of the questions he asked me--I was immediately turned off. My reply was do you base your fee upon occupation??? He was silent. Very evident he didnt like that response. Its as if alot of Americans feel entitled to know what you do for a living as a way to size you up.

So then he says wow I never met someone so secretive about their occupation--Are you a top government official on an assignment. At that point I terminated his contract and taught him a very good lesson in professionalism. You are here to do a job, not attempt to pass judgement or size up your client.

What are your thoughts?? Anyone else find this question rude and annoying??
Uh; this is the US, NOT "France". Different customs here. Sheesh!

If I'm talking with somebody on the street; I'll tell them what I do. Tho I DON'T say much here on CDF.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; this is the US, NOT "France". Different customs here. Sheesh!
The following is to address your argument, but rest assured it's aimed at the OP, not you

No matter what country you live in, you should always do your best to separate customs that make no sense from those that do. In this case, it makes no sense to call "What do you do for a living?" rude when the only reason you're insisting that it's rude is that you're assuming someone's trying to "size you up" financially without even knowing them!

That is what we in the U.S. call irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies