Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's true. My family, unfortunately not my specific branch, immigrated from Italy and made their fortune in collecting other peoples trash. There is always big money in dirty work.

Heard the old saying, one person's trash, is another's treasure! ciao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I keep seeing the high COL as the excuse for these outrageous wages but no one seems to realize that the COL is high because of the outrageous wages. Taxes go up to pay for the wages and everything else goes up right along with it. Rent goes up to cover the taxes, groceries etc follow suit.

If the insanity was stopped prices could go back to an average COL.
You may be right, but the COL around here has NEVER been "average." I've been here since 1983 (on & off), and it's always been one of the most expensive regions in the nation... I guess it's the old supply & demand issue? And say what you will about our politics, you can't deny this place has some pretty desirable traits!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I always thought Republicans wanted people to be successful and have pride in what they do.
The Republicans didn't want some limit imposed on what a bank CEO makes(the repubs said the bank Ceo's earned it) but they want to impose on a limit on what an average middle class worker makes?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I don't get it.
We always hear people should work hard for their money,but yet when they do some people STILL complain.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't get it.
We always hear people should work hard for their money,but yet when they do some people STILL complain.
government workers receive their pay through coercion (force), which isn't the same as someone who trades labor/skills for wages paid by willing customers.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't get it.
A meter maid can make $73K a year while a teacher makes $50K and you don't see a problem here ?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't live in California and what they pay their municipal employees is their business, not mine.

I'm not gonna join the chorus of people that cry just because someone is getting a better deal than they get. Go be a meter maid and make YOUR 100k. Or...get your own union together and work to get your wages raised instead of choosing to get screwed.
You completely miss the point. I make *well* over 100K a year. So when I talk about how it's an outrage that these low-skill workers are drawing in 6 figures, it's not envy talking - it's the fact that it's absurd that we are broke as a country in large part to the fact that we're overpaying for work any trained monkey could do.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't live in California and what they pay their municipal employees is their business, not mine.

I'm not gonna join the chorus of people that cry just because someone is getting a better deal than they get. Go be a meter maid and make YOUR 100k. Or...get your own union together and work to get your wages raised instead of choosing to get screwed.
We all pay for it we have a federalist system. Please try and keep up.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock.teller View Post
Your hatred of hardworking parking enforcement officers is thoroughly sickening and disgusting, and you strike me as he sort of guy who earns about $35,000 annually and thinks they are wealthy. Please do not feel the need to impress us, we don't care and we know you are not being truthful about your financial health.
A guy who digs ditches for a living "works hard". He also doesn't draw a 100K salary, because there are an almost unlimited supply of people who can do his job. My maid "works hard". My landscaper "works hard". I guarantee you that none of them are approaching 6 figures.

The only skill requirements to become a meter maid are a GED, a clean criminal history, a license, and the ability to pass a drug test. Any idiot can learn how to become a meter maid in less than a month. It takes longer than that to learn how to drive a friggin' truck!

So no, when I see some idiot who's essentially gaming the system at taxpayer expense (and making more than people with advanced degrees in high-skill fields), I'm not going to smile and say "good for them". You could fire every one of those 6 figure earners and replace them with people who will do the same job for 40 grand a year - and the quality of the work would not deteriorate. Therefore, each one of them is ripping off each taxpayer for 60 grand per year. That's unacceptable. The only argument that could be made in favor of something like this would be to raise everybody else's salary proportionately. So if a meter maid makes 100 grand a year, then a software engineer should make 400,000 per year.

Tilt against windmills all you like (you're obviously a government employee or hoping to be one). It's you guys that are next on the chopping block. You're probably also one of those people who screams about how all the button pusher jobs at factories have been outsourced to illiterate 10 year old Chinese boys who do the job equally well, but companies should be forced to pay some 35 year old loser stateside 60 grand a year for the same function.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM

221 posts, read 283,024 times
Quote:
they'll ignore you, or treat you like dirt
Which most likely translates to they don't give you what you want, ergo, they are treating you like dirt, (rudely, dismissively, whatever).

What's funny is I have worked in customer service for 21 years now....7 years in government. Funny, but I've often been accused of being "rude" because of the look on my face. Never mind the "look" has to do with, let's say, I need a new engine in my car, we got evicted and had to move because the landlord sold the property, my cat nearly died, I wound up in the hospital and got no diagonsis, all in the same month....oh, and I'm standing on my arthritic leg and have had a solid line for two hours without a bathroom break. The customers/public think how my face appears (tone of my voice, whatever) has to do with THEM, because so many people are extremely self centered and make everything about them when it isn't. Not to mention, way too many people are extremely hypersensitive and have childish emotions.

In regard to the OP - well, good for those workers that they are paid that much. That is not the starting salary for that position, I'd be willing to guarantee. I'd have to be paid five times that much to be willing to live in California, at least to live in southern California. But that is a topic for another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies