Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,106,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You should read up about words when you use them.

Agnostic is a position on KNOWLEDGE of a deity froth Greek gnostos meaning to know.

Atheist is a position of BELIEF
. Thus atheism means without belief.

I am an atheist because I lack belief in deities. I am an agnostic because my position is that it is fundamentally impossible to KNOW anything about deities.
Correct. You believe that there is no God. You can not prove your belief. You are a person of great faith.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Is everything republican versus democrat with you? There are conservative atheists and liberal deists. Not everything has to be an us vs them.
Uh, well, this is the political forum, you know. Technically, your thread doesn't even belong here. It's a question for the Religion and Spirituality forum.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Quote:
Correct. You believe that there is no God. You can not prove your belief. You are a person of great faith.
Yes, I agree that atheists are believers... Agnostics (as the term as used in this context) are not.

5,999 posts, read 7,106,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yes, I'm a Christian, but used to have an atheist work at our company (only knew he was because he talked to me about it one day). He had been raised Catholic, but eventually decided he was an atheist while he was in high school. He was a very nice guy, well adjusted, funny, etc.
Cool. Thanks

1,599 posts, read 3,135,480 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
Well, come to think of it, I've never heard any atheist's singing songs of joy and praise.

Could this be one of the reasons?
'FOR REAL HOPE, FOR REAL CHANGE, IT'S JESUS NOT OBAMA':t hink:

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I would say the beliefs are a bit different. There are things that can't be explained about the universe...
Give it time, and we will be able to explain it. When we're not able to explain something, we shouldn't just throw up our hands and say, "Oh well. It must be God!" That's not logical or rational.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
Me neither.

Think about it -- for the atheists, there's no meaning in life, nothing matters. To them all life is just some weird accident, it means nothing. They will die and be buried or cremated and that's all. There is nothing really to live for in the first place. There is nothing that matters, no ultimate Truth. They view themselves as nothing more than some globs of molecules that happen to be able to move around until they can't.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,458,610 times
And for an example of joyful atheists..

I just got back from a week long adventure therapy retreat for young adult cancer survivors ranging in ages from 21 to 39. We talked a lot about spirituality during the trip, and most of us were atheists or agnostics. The one Christian kept telling us that if we had believed in Jesus, we wouldn't have had so many struggles. It was rude and uncalled for. The rest of us had a blast. We had nicknames throughout the camp - one woman referred to herself as "Nips" because her nipples were removed during a double mastectomy in her early 30s. Another woman called herself "Button" because her self-described perfect bellybutton was removed during an emergency c-section and surgery when it was discovered that she had advanced ovarian cancer during the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy.

But last week, I called one of the guys who was on the trip to wish him a happy 22nd birthday. He is an above-the-knee amputee who has been fighting cancer since he was 16. Flaming atheist the entire time, mind you. He told me during this phone call that his cancer has returned for the 6th time. Without missing a beat, he told me, "The good news is, my doctors said this can only happen 3 more times" (referring to the 3 limbs he has left to amputate). Within moments he was planning a surfing trip with me for the people on our program.

That's true joy and love of life.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
No, we don't believe in any gods.
Can you prove there's no easter bunny? or unicorns?
You've been through this argument before.
Is it really christian to play dumb?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And this god thingie... got any proof?
I feel the same way about my garden gnome.

What favor, my gnome needs no favors.

You started a thread against atheists.
I mean, isn't that kind of like trolling?

You're the one making the positive assertion.
You're the one saying that a god thing exists.
It is incumbent upon you to prove it.
God-squad trolls all the time on these boards. It just eats them up that not everybody believes in their fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies