Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I know this does not apply to all Government Workers...However in my experience dealing with government workers it seems that most wouldn't make it in the private sector... I think the following from a government employee proves my point...

Why are most artists and professorial liberal?

Why are most businessmen conservative?

Why would someone work at a startup versus an established company?

Different jobs do attract different types of people. I would say Government employees are most likely in it for stability. They are inclined to promote the growth of the government (more money, more jobs, etc). They may have a distrust in corporate jobs. . .

I would also say that most governments are horrible about merit. A friend worked for the state and the entire HR team didn't really have a degree between them. They really weren't qualified and would balk when they wanted to hire a person away from a company (70k a year, I only make 40k).

I'm not sure if Lazy is quite the right word. Lack of initiative, error towards stability and risk adverse, and okay with bureaucracy (in fact love it). I can see why someone in the corporate world would think they are lazy. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Good workers will always be good workers - government or private. Bad workers are less likely to be fired from a government job than their private sector counterparts.

The end result is you have a government of hard-working employees working even harder to cover for the slackers.
In my experience, I've noticed that the butt-kissing workers and "yes" people, whether in gov. or the private sector, usually retain their jobs despite performance.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Good workers will always be good workers - government or private. Bad workers are less likely to be fired from a government job than their private sector counterparts.

The end result is you have a government of hard-working employees working even harder to cover for the slackers.
But that's a problem with management and managers.
Many managers want the money associated with a promotion to manager, but don't want to do the hard work associated with getting rid of bad employees.
Amazing how not disciplining/removing a bad employee contributes to overall morale problems. That goes for inside and outside of government.
Fire that sucker and watch morale and output soar.
Plus, there'd be a little respect earned by the supervisor.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
People are lazy and incompetent. Not the positions they inhabit.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM

629 posts, read 946,123 times
Hm, I know a lot of government workers.

Your mail carrier, your research scientist, your administrative assistant, your FBI agent, your enlisted soldier, your public health nurse, and your program analyst are all going to be different types of people with different types of work ethics. When a lot of people think government worker they think "bureaucrat" but it ain't necessarily so.

And there are plenty of lazy slackers in the corporate world, too.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
Now, don't get me wrong. I dread being a government employee. It is not the ideal work environment. We get 13 paid holidays, the internet connection is pretty fast, and you can slack consistently, but there's no free snacks, no fooseball and there is the fear of being a government employee for the rest of your life. I want out. But I am also perplexed, because I don't actively pursue another job. I just sit and gripe and node on the taxpayer's buck. I think I am on my way to being a really great government employee. So if you run into me, ask me how the job search goes. In the meantime, I am a government employee. Hear me snore.... ROAR. I mean roar."
Then get the H out you slacker! You clearly are a lazy one with a bad attitude to boot. The government does not need people like you.

If you are snoring, go ask your boss for more work. And if you are fully dependant on your boss for work, you probably have a low-level job... and low-level administrative positions by nature often have down-time, including in the private sector.

I know your type, you enter the govt biased from day 1, so you do the minimum, whine endlessly and vote Republican. Your biases and (probable) racism render you increasingly unpopular and unhappy, and becoming a bad example of a govt employee. If you're so concerned about the taxpayers, do them a favor and resign.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM

180 posts, read 237,041 times
Then get the H out you slacker! You clearly are a lazy one with a bad attitude to boot. The government does not need
Quote:
people like you.

If you are snoring, go ask your boss for more work. And if you are fully dependant on your boss for work, you probably have a low-level job... and low-level administrative positions by nature often have down-time, including in the private sector.

I know your type, you enter the govt biased from day 1, so you do the minimum, whine endlessly and vote Republican. Your biases and (probable) racism render you increasingly unpopular and unhappy, and becoming a bad example of a govt employee. If you're so concerned about the taxpayers, do them a favor and resign.
calm down...and take your medication...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But that's a problem with management and managers.
Many managers want the money associated with a promotion to manager, but don't want to do the hard work associated with getting rid of bad employees.
Amazing how not disciplining/removing a bad employee contributes to overall morale problems. That goes for inside and outside of government.
Fire that sucker and watch morale and output soar.
Plus, there'd be a little respect earned by the supervisor.
Thank you, public sector unions, for protecting the bad employees.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The answer to your question is NO, because you asked a wrong question. The correct question is: WHY are government workers lazy? The simply answer is because there is no profit motive. Regardless how you performance is, you get pay the same. So why work hard?

When you have a disincentive to work hard, why work hard?
Typical liberal idealogy.

Here's why:

Decent people work hard and take pride in their work. They enjoy being the best they can be. They like to earn their keep and pay their own way. These people are generally known as conservatives.

The real reason a lot of government employees are worthless is because it's almost impossible to fire them. People who are so inclined to be lazy but manage to snag government jobs know they can get paid for being lazy and stupid. They think they're entitled. The government is held to its own ridiculous notion of hiring undesirables, also known as affirmative action. These employees are generally known as democrats/liberals.

It's easy to identify a person's political convictions by their work ethics.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 09-17-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The government is held to its own ridiculous notion of hiring undesirables, also known as affirmative action.
And yet, you would cry foul if someone called you a racist. And here it is in its purest form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies