Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:17 PM

236 posts, read 442,129 times

Advertisements

My son is a senior in high school. One day last week the subject of cultural clubs came up in his history class. There is a hispanic club, african american club, and an asian club. Asked the teacher why they couldn't have a caucasian club. Of course the response from some of the other students ranged from, "Because it would racist", 'Yeah why can't we," Because my family were slaves and it would be racist." These were comments that kids in his class said. My question is Why can't he start one? Why is it okay for every other culture to celebrate and promote pride in their culture and ethinic group but anyone who is of the caucasian ethinic group are not aloud to because they are considered racist? We have raised our kids to be senitive to all cultures and ethinic groups. But my kids see the reverse discrimination when it come to clubs and celebrations. My son is going to try and start this club but it will take time. He believes that he should have the same rights as his fellow classmates. As long as the club promotes positive behavior and cultural diversity what harm is it?? I would like to hear what you all have to say. Please respond to this question

Is is okay to have a Caucasian Club in the school systems?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,745 times
Well, I don't think "caucasion" is a culture, but a "German-American" club, etc...should be fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,068 times
Aren't most school clubs caucasian clubs? I'm not justifying the double standard, but it's the same reason we don't have WET in TV... when the powerful majority bands together and excludes minorities it just seems worse than when the less-powerful minorities band together, I guess. Especially since there's usually already plenty of unofficial "caucasian clubs" to join and "white entertainment television" to watch. If it were some minority of white people (the "Irish" club, the Italy Club, Judaism Club, the hockey club, etc.) it wouldn't seem as backwards, I guess.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Kind of like the United Negro College fund, thats Ok but the United Caucasion College fund would be racist.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Maybe and American Club,that celebrates America's history and culture.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Maybe and American Club,that celebrates America's history and culture.

I think that would be good...an American Club...has a good ring

Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 PM

236 posts, read 442,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Well, I don't think "caucasion" is a culture, but a "German-American" club, etc...should be fine.

I was trying to be politically correct.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Yet more proof that my decision not to go into public school administration was sound.

1,405 posts, read 4,788,741 times
...what's a caucasian?

396 posts, read 399,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
My son is a senior in high school. One day last week the subject of cultural clubs came up in his history class. There is a hispanic club, african american club, and an asian club. Asked the teacher why they couldn't have a caucasian club. Of course the response from some of the other students ranged from, "Because it would racist", 'Yeah why can't we," Because my family were slaves and it would be racist." These were comments that kids in his class said. My question is Why can't he start one? Why is it okay for every other culture to celebrate and promote pride in their culture and ethinic group but anyone who is of the caucasian ethinic group are not aloud to because they are considered racist? We have raised our kids to be senitive to all cultures and ethinic groups. But my kids see the reverse discrimination when it come to clubs and celebrations. My son is going to try and start this club but it will take time. He believes that he should have the same rights as his fellow classmates. As long as the club promotes positive behavior and cultural diversity what harm is it?? I would like to hear what you all have to say. Please respond to this question

Is is okay to have a Caucasian Club in the school systems?
I understand your point. One, you're in California. Nuf said. Technically, most fair-skinned people are not actually "Caucasian". Why? Because the Caucasus Region is an actual place from whence the term "Caucasian" was derive. Caucasus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Call the group, The American Club instead. Everyone else is a ____________-American (ie., Black-American, Chinese-American, Mexican-American etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies