Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Talk about implementing religion in our schools.
Talk about teaching idiots the difference between Sikhs and Muslims considering the violence inflicted upon the former by intolerant bozos who think they art the latter is the least that the school system can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,645 times
I had comparative religion in my Cultural Dimensions class in my high school in Minnesota. We basically did a project on a religion of our choice and outlined the basic tenets of each one.
It was one of the best courses I had in high school, as a matter of fact.

I can't believe some people can't tell the difference between this and incorporating "God" into schools.

Oh, wait: Yes, I can believe it. Never mind.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,638 times
When I was in highschool we learned about other civilizations/cultures and religious beliefs I personally found it rather interesting. On another note I took a mythology and folklore class for a year and found it very interesting especially how many cultures believed they came to be. I think it was either chinese or japanese that thought they came to be by a rather larger giant sleeping in the ocean and that the islands that formed were from his body parts floating above the water. Then again it's been a while so I'm sure i am wrong on some of it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
I am sure you didn't learn their Bibles.
We certainly learned excerpts from them, yes.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's a huge leap.

The school intends to teach, VERBATIM FROM YOUR OP:

'Their contributions over the last 100 years to the economy of California and bringing their strength of values to California,” Torlakson said.'

No religion being taught. History being taught.
The Bible is history.

Sure the kids can learn that.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
The Bible is history.

My World History classes actually had a section on Christianity, where we learned about the Bible as an historical reference. While the Bible isn't an historical textbook, it is used as an historical reference by numerous disciplines, just as various Greek texts are used.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
The Bible is history.

And they do, as part world history 1, to understand how christanity is formed. Just like we learned some egyptian myths, greek myths, roman myths, etc.

Mythology and religion are part of how our world has formed, for better or worse. Therefore, it's easily taught.

There is absolutley nothing wrong with teaching Sikh in world history.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Why am I not surprised that folks on this forum can't tell the difference between 'Teaching Religion' and 'Teaching About Religion'?

So, In high school I was taught about WWII and the holocaust. I suppose the people who think they are indoctrinating students in Sikhism think that I was indoctrinated in anti-Semetism and genocide.

And for what it is worth, in my High School in ultra-liberal NYC, we also said the pledge of Allegiance every day with its praise of God, learned about the struggle of the Pilgrims to have the right to practice their Christian faith and we praised them, and we studied the Christian foundation of Western Civilization from the Hebrews to the development of the Catholic faith in the Roman Empire to the influence of the church in the Middle Ages to the Reformation right back around to the Pilgrims and the Christian faith of the first Americans. All in regular secular Social Studies classes.

It is alarmist BS like this that completely undermines the credibility of conservatives. It is as if conservatives like the OP actually want their purported beliefs to die a sound death.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-12-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Politically correct academia tries as hard as they can to downplay the role of Christianity in the history of the US and Europe. Christianity was an integral part of Western culture for millennia and has just begin to lose significance in recent decades. I have no problem with all religions being taught because they are all important to world history, but it has to be done objectively. I don't think that is being done in most cases.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Teaching children that Sikhism exists is not the same as "promoting Sikhism."

But then I wouldn't expect a brain-dead RWNJ (pardon the redundancy) to comprehand the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies