Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,047,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Besides, most people today are not thankful for what they have except to Walmart. It might be their way of worshipping and thanking Walmart for all those cheap wonderful Chinese made products they have, what better way to show their gratitude than to go to Walmart on Thanksgiving day and spend their unemployment checks and food stamps.
I guess I posted too soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,590,748 times
Many people here are saying; "I work on holidays too", "What about police officers, security, hospital workers, etc. they work on holidays too".

- When you are normally closed on Thanksgiving Day, or any other holiday previously, you are used too it, and thought that you will not work on that specific holiday. What happened with these big retailers is that they used to be closed on Thanksgiving, and all the sudden decided to remain open.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM

^^For the most part, Wal Mart and these other big retailers are open 7 days a week. Some are open 24/7. Now this wasn't always the case. Back in my day, in PA, blue laws kept stores closed on Sundays; many had shortened hours on Saturdays as well. The stores in the downtown area of my home town were open two nights a week, Monday and Friday, until 9. Otherwise, they closed at 5. Shall we go back to all that?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,765,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^For the most part, Wal Mart and these other big retailers are open 7 days a week. Some are open 24/7. Now this wasn't always the case. Back in my day, in PA, blue laws kept stores closed on Sundays; many had shortened hours on Saturdays as well. The stores in the downtown area of my home town were open two nights a week, Monday and Friday, until 9. Otherwise, they closed at 5. Shall we go back to all that?
Would be fine with me.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM

14,737 posts, read 14,725,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Many people here are saying; "I work on holidays too", "What about police officers, security, hospital workers, etc. they work on holidays too".

- When you are normally closed on Thanksgiving Day, or any other holiday previously, you are used too it, and thought that you will not work on that specific holiday. What happened with these big retailers is that they used to be closed on Thanksgiving, and all the sudden decided to remain open.
Plus police, nurses, etc generally don't work 5+ day weeks. Our hospital requires nursing staff to work only two major holidays per year, in three year increments. Thanksgiving & Christmas are the only true retail holidays at most stores anyway...workers there shouldn't lose what little time they already have off to be with their families.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,006,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
What do you mean?

Blue Laws were imposed in the parts of the nation that had GOD fearing Christians who believed GOD was serious when he said to keep the Sabath and make it a day to rest and celbirate The Lord. It is in the 10 Commandments you know. So no work was to be done and stores, shops, banks etc were to be closed on Sunday so GOD fearing people could go to Church! It would be worse if we were a Jewish or Islamic nation then we might have a 3 day weekend.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,765,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Blue Laws were imposed in the parts of the nation that had GOD fearing Christians who believed GOD was serious when he said to keep the Sabath and make it a day to rest and celbirate The Lord. It is in the 10 Commandments you know. So no work was to be done and stores, shops, banks etc were to be closed on Sunday so GOD fearing people could go to Church! It would be worse if we were a Jewish or Islamic nation then we might have a 3 day weekend.
Well, the true Sabbath is, after all, from sundown Friday evening to sundown Saturday evening.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure, I'd actually look forward to it.

I'm in a town now where the bank has old school hours...9-3 Mon-Thur, 9-5 Friday and closed Sat/Sun
I manage as well as everyone else that does business with them.
They do have a drive thru ATM though down the block.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure, I'd actually look forward to it.

I'm in a town now where the bank has old school hours...9-3 Mon-Thur, 9-5 Friday and closed Sat/Sun
I manage as well as everyone else that does business with them.
They do have a drive thru ATM though down the block.
The banking stuff is easier to manage these days d/t online banking, auto deposit, and ATMs.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,579,696 times
this is an example of why america sucks for the average person compared to the average scandinavian. northern european countries are actually more family oriented than american. Life is better for the average citizen there with a much better work life balance. in america citizens exist to pump as much productivity and money into the economy as possible. work as much as they can to pump money into the economy and spend as much as possible. it's like a huge machine setup for corporations.

and then you're to be grateful for that life too. wow, people are brainwashed. if that's life, why does being alive matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies