Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope, it was one of the Big Box electronics stores that run on the east coast and midwest. But I won't name names. I haven't in the 3 years I've been a member.
OK - don't name names. Could you, however, please state the techniques that were utilized to "force" these people to work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that was why WM workers were striking, did I? I simply said I hope other retail workers follow their lead and demand to be treated in a rightful and respectful manner.
Demand?

They can always leave if they are unhappy. That is their demand.

These people want it both ways.

They want to work to be continued to be paid, even after purposely not working without a legitamate excuse.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The Honda dealership where I take my car eliminated the cashier position and now the service writers do their own cashiering, yet were not given any more pay for the extra work as a example.
Why should they be "given" more pay? They should earn it. The service writers should be able to demonstrate that their work doing both the service writing and cashiering is valuable enough that it warrants paying them more.

The dealership streamlined - it took a position that could be handled by another - and combined it - so that the dealership will be more profitable. Profitability is good for everybody - perhaps that dealership will give out some quarterly bonuses - like Walmart, for example, does.

I have been a manager, but never for a salary - and know that it is possible to become loaded with work. Did I complain because I had to accomplish multiple tasks, often simulataneously? No. Managers on a salary probally can complain that what they earn doesn't adequately compensate for their workload - but the stress and extra work is what allows them to earn a larger share of the payroll at a guaranteed wage.

An hourly worker gets paid to work for a set number of hours and their duties during the shift may vary - why should they be paid separately for each one?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Did I relay a personal story about WalMart that could identify me or others? I don't believe I did. Not naming the store or person I am talking about prevents my identity from being known.
Ah,yes. The privacy issue. I totally understand.
I make sure I don't mention that there is a McDonald's in the town I live in for that very same reason.

Quote:
As I said several times, I really couldn't care less if you believe me or not.
I will keep that in mind for any previous and subsequent unverifiable posts you make

Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
OK - don't name names. Could you, however, please state the techniques that were utilized to "force" these people to work there?
I've already said how they were coerced into staying. Management made it clear that they were shorthanded and if they left (which of course they were "free" to do) they would not be welcomed back the next day. When the job is supporting your family, it really isn't a choice, is it?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ah,yes. The privacy issue. I totally understand.
I make sure I don't mention that there is a McDonald's in the town I live in for that very same reason.
Except that's not what was going on. I've made it clear (by posting on my home forum) where I live, I was talking about my friends and naming the store could help identify me. I'd rather not take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I will keep that in mind for any previous and subsequent unverifiable posts you make

Ok.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Yes they do. Because they are essential to the running of society. Buying crap is not essential to the running of society.
That's part of a free society, just have to live with it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
I've already said how they were coerced into staying. Management made it clear that they were shorthanded and if they left (which of course they were "free" to do) they would not be welcomed back the next day. When the job is supporting your family, it really isn't a choice, is it?
So now companies are willing to drop off employees on black friday weekend when all the major retailers are having 3 day sales, and during the Xmas season when they are hiring like crazy?

That makes perfect sense, especially after violating numerous coporate HR policies

Has your friend gotten a lawyer on retainer for being forced by management to violate company policies yet? Or are they gong to wait til mondays, because you know, lawyers don't work weekends/holidays.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Except that's not what was going on. I've made it clear (by posting on my home forum) where I live, I was talking about my friends and naming the store could help identify me. I'd rather not take the chance.
This is becoming a fruitless debate. It's obvious to any reasonable person that police officers, EMTs, healthcare workers, military personnel, etc., are essential to ensure personal well being and security. Retail workers are not in the same category.

Many are trying to twist this into a libertarian debate which was not the intent of the OP. The reality is that we are not a libertarian country. Some communities have begun to use private security guards as supplements to their law enforcement officers but they do not let them carry weapons. Even so, this model is the exception rather than the rule.

The issue is whether or not we still value a national holiday that traditionally focused on family and giving thanks or that the majority of citizens agree that commercial interests are more important today in the US. I argue that preserving the former is important as it promotes family and cultural unity as opposed to the latter which gives business and commercial interests a higher priority than family.

100 years ago the interest of capital versus labor was out of balance. This gave rise to labor unions, labor laws, and antitrust legislation, etc. Today many of the same issues are coming to the forefront of public discussion. Society is moving toward a more dichotomous model of economic classes. The issue of Thanksgiving and workers rights is a symptom of this larger economic structural problem that will continue to be a central political issue going forward.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 11-24-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Inside info at our local Wal Mart was that sales for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday event were down slightly over last year but that sales for the week were up slightly, less than 1%.
Black Friday really saw a cutomer drop so they didn't gain, they just moved the sales ahead. I don't see the benefit of ruining the Holiday but maybe they felt they had to compete. They also felt that strong competition might have hurt sales a bit. On the plus side the weather was perfect.
No riots, no arrests, no picketing no fights, no stampedes. Granted PA is a little more civilized than many other areas of the country( excluding philly). I saw some of those protests at the Wal Marts, those picketers ranged form the obtuse to the disconnected. Even with a free meal or paid, what a pointless endeavor .
I also heard that our county leads the state in gun sales, thank you Cabelas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies