Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times

Advertisements

There are more pressing issues to be enraged about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They are a frat that originated at an HBCU. The phrase "racially exclusive" signifies that they now or at any time in their history excluded anyone due to race. You cannot say that they did. I can say that there are many frats and sororities at predominantly white schools that have never had a black member.
In this day and age you cannot be racially exclusive in the purest sense of the term. However, you can be racially exclusive in other ways (ie. Chicago Fire Department). I figured you of all people would get this.

I have no doubt that there are frats\sororities that are exclusive around the country for various reasons.

I'm merely pointing out that in my collegiate experience there are some very exclusive groups based upon racial lines and the alphas on my campus were one of them. (and yes I fully appreciate the history of why such fraternities formed back during the Jim Crow era.)

Might shock you but the Korean Christian group on my campus by far the most exclusive....but that's another story.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Oh yeah. That's not racist AT ALL. @@

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
There are fraternities that are virtually completely white (Arizona State University had a few when I went there), do you see them the same way you see the virtually completely black fraternities? I don't see the point you were trying to make by bringing this up?
Why don't you post up the student demographics from AZ state?

You know that Beijing University has very very few whites in their fraternities!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Sorority

Stereotypes happen all the time, in hollywood and every where else. Its a part of life and sometimes things are just done for fun and humor. Im sick of everything being called "racist". Scratch that, it seems they sure pick and choose. TV shows and movies do this stuff all the time, are they blasted by the media? No.

Cheech and Chong, remember those movies. Still not outlawed, still seen by people today to laugh at. Its humor, its comedy. Sometimes, stereotypes are just funny.

There is nothing wrong with this photo. Id be willing to be at least one of the girls in the picture is of some latino heritage. Get a friggin life PC police!!! People need to stop with the "thats offensive/racist" card. Find something better to do and quit being so low on yourself or others that you find everything to "offensive".

Yeah, because its just soooooo appalling. "Oh my word!!!! ARghghghghghghghgh!!! How could they do such a thing?!?!?!?!?!?" Knock it off. Most who would have seen this wouldve laughed or smiled and thought nothing of it. There is nothing to see here move along and find something better to do.
Maybe at a Klan rally.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Here, I found a photo of yet another thoughtless racist:

So you think the racism claims are being aimed at the outfits the girls are wearing, and not the signs?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
There is something very wrong with the pic.

If you don't think portraying people in stereotypical outfits that are demeanig to them YOU have a problem.

And people will no longer tolerate bigots telling them what is and isn't racist.
You're right, I won't have anybody tell me what is and isn't racist. Not my fault alot of mexicans live up to a stereotype. Black comics say sh*t about white people all the time. Does that get national attention? No. Do you see me on here crying about it? No. Am I putting a gun to your head and forcing you to like the pic? No. To those who don't like it, don't look at it, quit being so anal retentive and pull your drawers out of your ass already

Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 AM

272 posts, read 229,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why don't you post up the student demographics from AZ state?

You know that Beijing University has very very few whites in their fraternities!
Goal posts, you're good at moving them. There are many other Universities I could point out. ASU was just an example. Now, care to answer my question instead of forever moving goal posts?

BTW, the HBCU also have similar demographics as ASU in reverse order, so what was your point again?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
His point was that not only should the world not be a haven for white bigots, but that it shouldn't be a haven for non-white bigots, neither. Of course, you sound like you are a bigot yourself, so it's only logical that would be the reason why you failed to understand where he was coming from.
Yeah sure that was his is point in his post to me. Lol

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
Goal posts, you're good at moving them. There are many other Universities I could point out. ASU was just an example. Now, care to answer my question instead of forever moving goal posts?

BTW, the HBCU also have similar demographics as ASU in reverse order, so what was your point again?
I didn't move the goal posts, I correctly spotted that you just complained about massively white sororties at a school that is....massively white. I was pointing out massively non-white institutions at colleges that are massively white....I was of course not dumb enough to complain about predominantly black frats at a HBCU....because that would be *normal* and representative of the schools general population.

I've also addressed why even at a predominantly white school you can have predominantly minority frats etc. and that there is nothing wrong with that per se.

Now, I want you to think really hard here....what happens when you have predominantly minority frats and other organizations at a school like ASU? Hmmmm, would that not further reduce the number of available minorities that would be interested in joining the other frats etc? You know, the ones you complain about being heavily white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies