Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
People are saying "oh if it was the next door neighbor no one would care but they represent blah blah blah"

But the article didn't say it was posted on the schools website or the sorority website or that when they posted it they identified the school or the sorority.

So it sounds like a group of girls went to a halloween party, took a pic and put it online. Some busybody recognized some of the girls and made a big deal out of it.
"Racism is cool in private. The problem is some a-hole decided to make it public." That about summarize your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's what happens when you think you are better than everybody else and it's you god given right to look down on other people.

That's the type of elitism a lot of sororities and fraternities promote.
But they are free to do so. You may not like as I do not but if they want to dress up like Mexicans who the hell cares? People need to Stop being so sensitive.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
So the lesson we have learned here today is that if you are going to try to be silly or funny and include offensive material in your "act" that the level of offense perceived requires us knowing the instigators race first.

I mean could you imagine someone making a crack about Hurricane Katrina and how it reminded us how black people can't swim? (one comedian did....no big media ****storm though....oh that's right he wasn't white! Nevermind! )

God, there are a MILLION examples in the media that there is absolutely a double standard with regards to the level of "offendedness" being dependant upon the instigators ethnicity.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Do you really need that explained to you?
Ah, I guess I should have explained the skit better, it wasn't really about "white face" and I can indeed appreciate why blackface has a different conotation.

Ditto for lynching effigies of say Obama vs. those of Bush just not being the same thing.

The difference would be the (recent) historical conotation and implicit threat.

That's why I think with the serious stuff it's fairly cut and dry and things aren't always the same, hence why it's taboo for non-blacks to use the n-word.

I mean hey, if someone is denying employment to people based upon race there is no "free pass" regardless of the offenders race etc.

Where I split on opinion with some though is with regards to "lighter" issues like the picture we are discussing here. On that topic, it's my opinion that there is definitely not a single standard....but there should be.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's what happens when you think you are better than everybody else and it's you god given right to look down on other people.

That's the type of elitism a lot of sororities and fraternities promote.
And just think.....10% of those students are gay!

Gay people would NEVER make fun of others.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
There is much truth behind stereotypes.

Very many landscapers that people see are of hispanic decent.

Very many lawyers are jewish.

Very many doctors are asian.

Very many people in the fashion industry are gay.

Very many convenience store owners are indian.

Very many italians were seen as being mobsters.

People make jokes.

Get over it.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Sure you do, you just won't admit it. It doesn't have to mean you hate.... It just means most of your friends will be somewhat more like you than not. Probably it means where ever it is you live there will be more people of your ethnics back ground than not.
There aren't many like me. In my neighborhood the only ones with my ethnic background are my children.

Quote:
Natural selection and race just go hand in hand..... it is what evolution has created, and why the English are Caucasian, and why Saudis are Saudi/Caucasian,
Not all Saudis are Caucasian.

Quote:
and why Negros are black,
What are Negros? Is that the island in the Philippines?

Quote:
and Japanese have different eyes and so on, for each and every race.
How are Japanese people's eyes different? Different from whom?

Quote:
I can't say I hate any one of any race because of their race. But everyone in every race is a racist. It is just a simple matter of a failed PC policy, and if you are willing to admit it.
This makes not an iota of sense.

Quote:
If this isn't true why then do Police use race to ID people of interest, and why does this come up on census forms each time that paper goes around?
The presence of different races and ethnic groups in America doesn't correspond with your assertion. It just means there are many ways to describe the many variations of human beings.

Quote:
Why are there any ethnic restaurants? I suppose then I being of mostly Scot , Caucasian race would not be welcome in a Chinese restaurant then right?

uhh.......what? There are ethnic restaurants because people from all over the world like to eat food from different cultures. Has nothing to do with the fact that you are admittedly racist and I am not.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The bottom line question is WHEN does it go from satire or comedy to true mean-spirited racism?
When does the "joke" become offensive enough that even that isn't a defensible excuse.
Was this a poorly executed satire or joke or do they really just despise minorities?

Surely there is a blurry line there as well.

I guess I am chuckling a lit bit over the outrage when we have racially exclusive fraternities and campus organizations in the US......hmmmm.

Taking that into consideration, how dare these dumb kids try to take a funny photo?
Where are these racially exclusive frats?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yea... but they are WHITE hispanic

True......if there are any Latinas in the bunch at all............

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
reconmark, there are some nutcases on this forum, but I think everyone could agree that second picture is, without a doubt, overtly racist.
You might be surprised. I can think of some on this forum who would support that picture, argue for pages there's nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies