Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Let's discuss this over a glass of mid-shelf whiskey. I'll buy.

Seriously, though, in my very first comment of this thread, I clearly stated that the signs were unfunny and in poor taste... or I said something to that affect. I'm too lazy right now to go back and quote it.

the outfits, minus the signs, could have been all in good fun.

I agree with the bolded, but they went a step too far and they should know the difference. Obviously a lot of people don't know the difference. If you want to make jokes in poor taste and get upset about having to be PC, expect some backlash. I choose to refrain from making stupid jokes about groups of people. There are so many other things to laugh at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Jewish self parody has been a part of the Jewish comedic tradition for eons.

Of course it has. Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

As an astute viewer, I would think that you could come up with one off the top of your head. I except that you can't or won't substantiate your argument and agree to just move on.
I'm not much of an astute viewer, as 10:00 is usually past my night night time, given that I have to wake up around 4:30 every morning.

All that aside, the premise of this discussion was the perpetuation of stereotypes, not intent.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM

reconmark, there are some nutcases on this forum, but I think everyone could agree that second picture is, without a doubt, overtly racist.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake; even they were totally acceptable and mostly were not meant to offend.

Nita
Bolded for the actual outcome.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
I didn't say you thought they were. You formed the question in a "daring and intimidating" fashion.

Don't try and get crafty with your words now, it was your context.

"What do you bet they wouldn't take that picture at New Mexico State University?"
This was daring and intimidating?

I bet they wouldn't take that picture on a college that is nearly 50% Hispanic because they might know a few Hispanic girls or perhaps there would be a few Hispanic girls in the sorority (if they are allowed) And they would know better than to offend someone who was their friend or they might ask their friend "is this offensive" and their friend would say "yes"
And I bet they would show the good sense to behave in the spirit of collegiality and civility and not to be insensitive to people who they liked. Notwithstanding the assumption that if you are white and choose to attend a college that is 50% Hispanic you would have Hispanic friends.

geeze some people need a frigging dissertation

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-06-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Honestly sometimes I think it's necessary for non-whites to give some of these types of white people a taste of their own ignorance. It's the only way that they'll ever get it.

I am dying for the day myself when a group of mexican americans in a sorority dress up like poor, slovenly Irishmen and women on death's edge from potato famine. Let's see how much innocent fun and light laughs that will produce within the white Irish American community.

I personally think that instances like this are the only way for the broader majority can really understand.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Honestly sometimes I think it's necessary for non-whites to give some of these types of white people a taste of their own ignorance. It's the only way that they'll ever get it.

I am dying for the day myself when a group of mexican americans in sorority dress up like poor, slovenly Irishmen and women on death's edge from potato famine. Let's see how much innocent fun and light laughs that will produce within the white Irish American community.

I personally think that only then will they get the idea.
St. Patty's day isn't far from that, instead they are portrayed as corn beef eating drunks who p*ss in public. And I doing this right?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
St. Patty's day isn't far from that, instead they are portrayed as corn beef eating drunks who p*ss in public. And I doing this right?
St. Patty's day is personified by Irish Americans.

What if a black, mexican, or Asian fraternity/sorority had a "dress like an Irishman" party, depicting the Irish as poor, slovenly, FOB beggers like were they described more than half a century ago?

What if in the middle of one of those photos, the mexican, black or asian, dressed like an Irishman holding up a sign that read "Irish need not a apply" with a big Irish grin on their face?

I wonder if the Irish American community would be offended? How many of them would be defending the fraternity and sorority's right to "free speech" and regaling their behavior in playful innocence?

Like I said, for what it's worth--sometimes it's a tit for tat that's needed to open up the eyes of some people.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
St. Patty's day is exemplified by Irish Americans.

What if an black, mexican, or Asian fraternity/sorority had a "dress like an Irishman" party, depicting the Irish as poor, slovenly, FOB beggers like they described more than half a century ago?

I wonder if the Irish American community would be offended? How many of them would be defending the fraternity and sorority's right to "free speech" and regaling in playful innocence?
Again, it's called St Patty's day, you know, where they dress in green, some leprechauns, some with beer mug necklaces, and are all sh*tfaced drunk?

Don't conveniently gloss over the offensiveness of that holiday simply because it's not jiving with your cry baby narrative.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Again, it's called St Patty's day, you know, where they dress in green, some leprechauns, some with beer mug necklaces, and are all sh*tfaced drunk?

Don't conveniently gloss over the offensiveness of that holiday simply because it's not jiving with your cry baby narrative.
get a grip on your thoughts and try thinking logically.

If minorities ever dressed up and poked fun at the stereotypes of the Irish, Polish, Italian, or German American's, you'd cry yourself to sleep and the idea of "free speech" would remain mum on your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies