Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Nope, but I'm sure if it was called White Trash and was based on some White people who lived in a trailor park, who were all products of incest and sat around b****ing about blacks, Mexicans and government assistance while waiting on their disability checks and smoking meth, someone would be offended.
I think they've got a reality show or two like that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Yeah this is nothing like those hip hop parties where everyone dresses up in black face.
oh for heavens sake; even they were totally acceptable and mostly were not meant to offend.

Nita

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Come on, Honey Boo Boo is endearing.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not talking about reality shows, although there is always someone upset about them because of the image they portray of whatever group the show is about. I am talking about people of other groups who basically stereotype and insult others. Simply wearing a sombrero and a poncho is not offensive. When people dress up in black face or dress up as Mexicans and hold up signs about mowing lawns, it is offensive. If I dress up like an orthodox Jew and hold up a sign that says something about being cheap or stingy, would that be offensive? Or how about if I dress up as an Asian and say that I will work for a penny an hour. How about I paint my face white and hold up a sign that says "The world is mine and if you question that I'll ignore you, site crime stats and tell you that you want free stuff." Is any of that offensive? I think so. It may not offend me personally, but I am considerate enough not to do things that I know will offend others.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about reality shows, although there is always someone upset about them because of the image they portray of whatever group the show is about. I am talking about people of other groups who basically stereotype and insult others. Simply wearing a sombrero and a poncho is not offensive. When people dress up in black face or dress up as Mexicans and hold up signs about mowing lawns, it is offensive. If I dress up like an orthodox Jew and hold up a sign that says something about being cheap or stingy, would that be offensive? Or how about if I dress up as an Asian and say that I will work for a penny an hour. How about I paint my face white and hold up a sign that says "The world is mine and if you question that I'll ignore you, site crime stats and tell you that you want free stuff." Is any of that offensive? I think so. It may not offend me personally, but I am considerate enough not to do things that I know will offend others.
In your attempt to make some sort of point, you became extremely offensive. Enjoy your foodstamps.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
In your attempt to make some sort of point, you became extremely offensive. Enjoy your foodstamps.
LOL, I see you're trying to get personal now. When exactly did it become offensive to you? Those are stereotypes, not my feelings. You are contradicting yourself. You see nothing offensive about the pic in the OP of girls dressed as Mexicans, holding up a sign with a stereoptype about Mexicans. So now if I apply what they did to other groups, it's offensive? When exactly did you find it offensive? Was it the Asians, the Jews or Whites? Clearly it wasn't when it was done about Mexicans. This just goes to show that when it hit close to home, it became offensive to you. Thanks for proving my point, and this is why I would never dress up as some race/ethnic group and hold up a sign with some stereotype about them, because it is OFFENSIVE.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
So. No toga parties anymore either, huh?

Shucks.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
LOL, I see you're trying to get personal now. When exactly did it become offensive to you? Those are stereotypes, not my feelings. You are contradicting yourself. You see nothing offensive about the pic in the OP of girls dressed as Mexicans, holding up a sign with a stereoptype about Mexicans. So now if I apply what they did to other groups, it's offensive? When exactly did you find it offensive? Was it the Asians, the Jews or Whites? Clearly it wasn't when it was done about Mexicans. This just goes to show that when it hit close to home, it became offensive to you. Thanks for proving my point, and this is why I would never dress up as some race/ethnic group and hold up a sign with some stereotype about them, because it is OFFENSIVE.
Let's discuss this over a glass of mid-shelf whiskey. I'll buy.

Seriously, though, in my very first comment of this thread, I clearly stated that the signs were unfunny and in poor taste... or I said something to that affect. I'm too lazy right now to go back and quote it.

the outfits, minus the signs, could have been all in good fun.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
White person talks about Mexican = stereotype

Mexican talks about Mexican = recognizing culture

the pity party never ends

Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I'm sure you are going to say that Stewart's goal is to ridicule these bigoted stereotypes, but I am guessing his unprovoked Jew impression will say otherwise.
Jewish self parody has been a part of the Jewish comedic tradition for eons.

Quote:
If we both agree that the premise of the show is bigoted satire
We wouldn't agree in a hundred years.

[quote[then I have no need to waste time sifting through youtube videos finding you examples.[/quote]

As an astute viewer, I would think that you could come up with one off the top of your head. I except that you can't or won't substantiate your argument and agree to just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies