Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My first experience with the alphas was my next door neighbor in college dorms. Great guy, joined alphas and told us he could not speak to us (or his roomate) anymore during initiation.

If you want to pretend that the alphas (which I support) are not at least somewhat racially exclusive....I would love to hear you say that. Please lucario, tell me what a big fat melting pot the alphas are....please....

P.S. They fail the integration test of any US company..... Which means if they were IBM, Garmin, Ford etc they would be sued.

I'm not disagreeing with the alphas....merely trying to stretch you mind a 2nd time.
They are a frat that originated at an HBCU. The phrase "racially exclusive" signifies that they now or at any time in their history excluded anyone due to race. You cannot say that they did. I can say that there are many frats and sororities at predominantly white schools that have never had a black member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Does anyone know what goes on in college here? I assume that the ones complaining have never been part of an fraternity or sorority. This picture is completely inncocent, just some kids having fun. Get over it. There are far worse things that could be discussed that go on in the college environment. Loosen up a little...life is really dull without a little harmless fun. Those offended need to grow some thicker skin.
There are plenty of pictures of Mexicans wearing blue jeans and t-shirts and dressed in suits and ties-- are they being racist for dressing up like Americans?

What's funny is the same pc crowd will approve of racist teachers telling children to dress like Mexicans on Cinco de Mayo or Cesar Chavez day --- like they did at my son's school.

I have a feeling if they dressed in Swiss Alps yodeling clothes, no one would be outraged in the least -- because the racial-sensitive are strange that way.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are plenty of pictures of Mexicans wearing blue jeans and t-shirts and dressed in suits and ties-- are they being racist for dressing up like Americans?
Why do you continue to post this?

Modern men's suits originated from Britain. Jeans originated from Italy.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Here is what I never understand from people who cry about the first amendment. Why is it ok for somebody to offend people of a different color, but its not ok for those offended to be outraged?
Great point. I think it's because the the offenders do not want to assume any responsibility for their behavior. They want the 'freedom' of speech or expression to step on toes and not bother with manners like, "Oops! Pardon me!" But freedom carries responsibility and sometimes consequence. And contrary to popular opinion, every indignation voiced by people of color is not abusing "the race card" just because the offenders do not respect what is said. But if you're saying or doing something that insults or stereotypes a group of people as all alike, then racist or not, you're trespassing.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Why do you continue to post this?

Modern men's suits originated from Britain. Jeans originated from Italy.
Blue jeans were created by an American cowboy -- but when people dress like Brits or Americans, no one is offended. Should we be outraged when we see Mexicans dressed like Americans or like the British? Do we assume they're just mocking us?

Are we mocking the Brits when we wear suits and ties?

I'm pretty sure if this same sorority would have dressed like Swiss Alps mountain people, nothing at all would have been said.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Actually it's kind of racist to say that whites can only wear white people clothes and hispanics can only wear sombreros and guayaberas -- but only hispanics are allowed to wear those. Blacks must dress African style.

And only if you're a redneck can you dress like one. No more dressing up like hillblllies or cowboys for a party theme. That would be offensive. Same goes for Hawaian outfits -- no more party themes with luau themes. And eliminate costumes of witches and hobos. You can only dress like one if you are one.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Are they dressed that way to portray a cultural stereotype as some lame attempt at humor or simply because that what they like to wear.

Quote:
What's funny is the same pc crowd will approve of racist teachers telling children to dress like Mexicans on Cinco de Mayo or Cesar Chavez day --- like they did at my son's school.

I have a feeling if they dressed in Swiss Alps yodeling clothes, no one would be outraged in the least -- because the racial-sensitive are strange that way.
Again when you describe these incidents you have to consider the motivation involved.

These sorority girls were OBVIOUSLY portraying Mexican stereotypes in a demeaning and insulting way.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Blue jeans were created by an American cowboy -- but when people dress like Brits or Americans, no one is offended. Should we be outraged when we see Mexicans dressed like Americans or like the British? Do we assume they're just mocking us?

Are we mocking the Brits when we wear suits and ties?

I'm pretty sure if this same sorority would have dressed like Swiss Alps mountain people, nothing at all would have been said.
Wow, you really don't see the difference, do you?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Meh. A lot of schools have kids dress up for Cinco de Mayo or St. Paddy's day. Lots of little Pilgrims on Thanksgiving.

But your son was told to dress like a Mexican on Cesar Chavez day? I have never, ever, heard of that being done. I don't suppose you care to give us the details? Chavez was an American, BTW, not a Mexican. He was born in Arizona and he served in the United States Navy. Did he dress like a Mexican? He liked plaid shirts. Are plaid shirts part of the traditional Mexican costume? Gee... I must have missed that somewhere along the way.

BTW: If your kid's teacher is telling the students to dress like a Mexican on a day an American-born citizen is honored you need to find a better school.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-09-2012 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I still don't get the big deal. Every time I go to a costume party there is always at least one person who is dressed in plaid and overalls, with stuff in their mouths to make it look like they're missing teeth....nobody gets offended. Where's the outrage for the hillbillies they're mocking?

There's a tourist trap on either 75 or 95 (I forget which one) but as cross into the state you can take a picture that says "greetins from the south" and the background is an old shack with a rocking chair and this huge hound dog (its not real). But they provided costumes, cowboy hats and shotguns for the boys, shower caps and housecoats for the girls...I saw one family take their picture eating huge slices of watermelon...

You would think Southerners around the world would gather up and demand this place be shut down but I seriously doubt most people care.

I think this whole PC nonsense is so over the top stupid. I grew up in the 80s and never once did I watch those Spanish mice get drunk and fall asleep and think "oh this is what Mexican people do" nor was I offended by the crows when I was watching Dumbo or by King Louie wanting to be a person. I wasn't even aware that other people were offended by these things until I had a child and started running into these busy body mothers who spend all day scouring the internet to look for something offensive.

If you wanna be offended, be offended but don't start this "everyone who is not offended is an idiot" platform...some of us are just too busy to stop everything to be enraged over a group of college kids acting like college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies