Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not the one breaking the law. I'm the one who is obeying the law. My father, mother, brother, sister, and myself are all law-abiding people. Why should any of us be pulled over? How does that help ME?
You'll less likely be killed because of mistaken identity, wearing the "wrong" "colors," or wearing an item of clothing the "wrong" way, as frequently happens here in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
But even within race, it is a specific segment of the Black population that is committing these gun crimes. It's not the regular Black man on the street committing these crimes. It's not someone like my father committing these crimes. It's specifically gang members who commit these crimes.
It's not only gang members getting killed, as I've already explained.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that were really true, how are they able to commit 8 times as many gun homicides as Whites, especially in strict gun control areas like Chicago?
Those crimes are committed by gang members in specific areas. Keyword: Gang Members, you know, people who operate outside of the law anyway. These aren't the average Black persons on the street. It is a specific segment of the Black population. You're saying "in general". I'm saying "specific persons" in the Black population.

And when I said Blacks in general, I'm talking about the Black people who aren't breaking the law.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Immigrants come here as exactly that, immigrants. Immigrants are coming from other countries with a goal in mind. Blacks, well, have basically been treated as second class from day one, for hundreds of years. And when the Irish first came to this nation, when they were treated like crap, many Irish resorted to crime. Same with Italians. Same with some Hispanic immigrants.
You've never heard of indentured servitude?
Quote:
Each indentured servant would have their fare across the Atlantic paid in full by their master. A contract was written that stipulated the length of service — typically five years. The servant would be supplied room and board while working in the master's fields. Upon completion of the contract, the servant would receive "freedom dues," a pre-arranged termination bonus. This might include land, money, a gun, clothes or food. On the surface it seemed like a terrific way for the luckless English poor to make their way to prosperity in a new land. Beneath the surface, this was not often the case. Only about 40 percent of indentured servants lived to complete the terms of their contracts. Female servants were often the subject of harassment from their masters. A woman who became pregnant while a servant often had years tacked on to the end of her service time.
http://www.ushistory.org/us/5b.asp

Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
If that were really true, how are they able to commit 8 times as many gun homicides as Whites, especially in strict gun control areas like Chicago?
Earlier in this thread I explained in detail how Chicago "operates".

I also agree that you cannot separate race from this discussion because Chicago has gone out of it's way in terms of urban planning and policing to create this situation.

Chicago used to be a hideously segregated place and remnants of that still exist. (You can read up on MLK's Chicago march, it's informative)

To this day, while not racially segregated it's certainly poverty segregated and the city doesn't give a crap if gangs are killing each other away from the nicer or touristy areas.

The person who brought up the crack epidemic is also correct.

It's a big complex issue and Chicago isn't going to devote a lot of effort to fixing it, but they are great on throwing out words and having the occasional peace march and are largely immune to serious criticism because no one wants to criticize the party.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I have something you should read.

...Before you make broad-sweeping statements about Blacks, and then try to compare them to immigrants, you need to read the links I posted.
You've conveniently completely ignored indentured servitude.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
You'll less likely be killed because of mistaken identity, wearing the "wrong" "colors," or wearing an item of clothing the "wrong" way, as frequently happens here in Chicago.
Not really. If I don't live in those parts of Chicago, then my concern isn't going to be about "wearing the wrong colors". If I live in a bad neighborhood, and I can afford it, I'm getting out.

Profiling isn't going to stop gang members. Gang members don't care, so they would so much as likely kill police officers. I agree with middle-aged-mom that stop-and-frisk won't work. A military presence works better than profiling.

In my life, profiling has never kept my family safe. My father has been pulled over by the police quite a few times in the suburbs of Atlanta. That didn't keep me from getting jumped by fellow Black teenagers one summer night. It didn't keep me from getting assaulted by White teenagers either. Criminals are not the ones who care. Law-abiding people care because they AREN'T breaking the law.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
You've conveniently completely ignored indentured servitude.
Actually, I wasn't trying to forget indentured servitude. However, what I was saying is that generally, Blacks have been treated the worst over all in this nation. They never had the benefit of being "White".

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM

734 posts, read 933,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Nobody stops black men from marrying their "babies momma's" and staying in the young child's life.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, far too many are heavily influenced by their neighborhood's pathological culture which has essentially normalized "baby mommas & baby daddies" as perfectly fine and acceptable.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Those crimes are committed by gang members in specific areas. Keyword: Gang Members, you know, people who operate outside of the law anyway. These aren't the average Black persons on the street.
Then explain to me why average Black people on the street are getting killed. Do you have any idea how many times we see stories like this in the Chicago area? And this wasn't even in the city. It was in the suburbs.
Popular 14-year-old shot to death in Evanston - Chicago Tribune

With photo:
Dajae Coleman,14, Fatally Shot
Quote:
Evanston teen Dajae Coleman was fatally gunned down last weekend by a man who mistakenly targeted him while looking for revenge, authorities said Friday.

..."Woodson [the shooter] has gang affiliations, and this was a retaliatory act upon an innocent group of teens with no gang affiliations," Parrott said.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-degree-murder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies