Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is something else to consider. This phenomenon you're talking about isn't really about race. It's about "what happened to shot gun weddings"? I thought about this last night. The reason households without the father around are being perpetuated by some people is because shotgun weddings are no longer the normal. If a man got his girlfriend pregnant, the father of the pregnant daughter would make the couple get married, aka "shot gun wedding". Nowadays, with more children growing up in households without the father around, the phenomenon of "shot gun weddings" has basically dwindled alot.
...Enter the liberals' "war on poverty" welfare benefits that actually PAY unmarried girls/women to breed. No baby daddy support necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm initially from NYC, which is of course, home of "stop and frisk." Although I hate to admit it, stop and frisk does work as an effective deterrence, because criminals do not want to risk going to prison or possibly having their drugs and illegal guns confiscated by the police. Truthfully, if the NYPD wasn't so active, sections of NYC would have crime rates comparable to Chicago's Southside.

But I do not believe in advocating this policy, because it's a violation of the 4th amendment (if there's no evidence that the person plans to break any law, at the time of the frisk). Also, I dislike that it specifically targets black and Hispanic men. Unfortunately, the many individuals who are not involved in crime, are treated like criminals during the searches.
The fact that stop and frisk often specifically targets Blacks and Hispanics is part of what angers me about it. It angers me because I know me. I am Black and I'm not a criminal. It violates my rights, specifically the 4th amendment. However, there are some people who feel like the 4th amendment shouldn't apply to Blacks. While we're on the subject of amendments, I'm surprised no one has thought of violating the 2nd amendment rights based on race.

In some cases, stop and frisk might stop criminals from engaging in criminal acts. My argument is that there are people, specifically gang members, who don't expect to live past 30. There are gang members who do not care if they go to prison, and often look at prison as a way to get status. For your average law-abiding Black Americans, like you and me, prison is a waste of life. For some gang members, prison is like a badge of honor. For your petty criminal, prison might straighten that person out, and sometimes prison straightens out gang members.

However, this is the way I see it. If you want to stop gang members, the first thing that needs to be dealt with is mentality.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
No. The police already stated he was among a group of non-gang related individuals. His murderer gunned him down in a case of mistaken identity. That happens A LOT in and around Chicago

But here is a question. What was a gang member doing at the party?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
...Enter the liberals' "war on poverty" welfare benefits that actually PAY unmarried girls/women to breed. No baby daddy support necessary.
The same policy that has allowed many poor Whites in parts of Appalachia to do the same.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Just because a story is printed in the Chicago Tribune it doesn't mean it occurred in Chicago. Evanston is not Chicago
Hence, the "And this wasn't even in the city. It was in the suburbs," in my post.

Quote:
Then explain to me why average Black people on the street are getting killed. Do you have any idea how many times we see stories like this in the Chicago area? And this wasn't even in the city. It was in the suburbs.
Popular 14-year-old shot to death in Evanston - Chicago Tribune

With photo:
Dajae Coleman,14, Fatally Shot
Evanston teen Dajae Coleman was fatally gunned down last weekend by a man who mistakenly targeted him while looking for revenge, authorities said - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Hence, the "And this wasn't even in the city. It was in the suburbs," in my post.
The thread is about Chicago, why are you bringing up other cities??

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I agree that drugs and gun violence and are huge problem in poor inner-city predominately Black communities. However the idea that the entire Black male population should be "ashamed" is total, and complete bullsh*t. White men aren't told be be "ashamed" about the growing problem of amphetamines and oxy that is absolutely ravaging rural America and parts of the suburbs. The entire population of Hispanic male population isn't told to be collectively "ashamed" about the problem of gang violence that affect some inner city predominately Hispanic neighborhoods.

It's just racist to hold ALL Black men accountable for the actions of a those that make the choice to go down the path of drugs and violent crime. There are LOTS of Black men that are faced with a fork in the road to go down that path or choose another. I know because I happen to be one of them. Once you make a choice to go down a different path you are often ostracized or seen at "other" by the very communities where this violence takes place.
This is part of what I'm saying. Why should ALL Black men be held responsible for actions of a few Black men? Even further, there are alot of Black men who have nothing to do with the violence, who don't even know any gang members. Why should they be held responsible for those they don't even know?

Quote:
As I've said in other posts the problem of gun violence in poor inner-city predominately Black communities won't be solved by a president a governor or a mayor. It will be resolved when the men and women in those communities no longer accept gun violence as a cultural norm.
I would also add in that one should also look at the roots of such violence in general. I agree with what you said. I also agree that being educated on the roots of such violence helps even more.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The thread is about Chicago, why are you bringing up other cities??
I think this has more to do with an agenda being pushed. I think the agenda being pushed is "Blacks are a universal problem".

Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I agree that drugs and gun violence and are huge problem in poor inner-city predominately Black communities. However the idea that the entire Black male population should be "ashamed" is total, and complete bullsh*t. White men aren't told be be "ashamed" about the growing problem of amphetamines and oxy that is absolutely ravaging rural America and parts of the suburbs.
They should be.

Quote:
The entire population of Hispanic male population isn't told to be collectively "ashamed" about the problem of gang violence that affect some inner city predominately Hispanic neighborhoods.
They should be, as well.

Quote:
As I've said in other posts the problem of gun violence in poor inner-city predominately Black communities won't be solved by a president a governor or a mayor.
Or "restrictions" or "laws."
Quote:
It will be resolved when the men and women in those communities no longer accept gun violence as a cultural norm.
Exactly.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Or "restrictions" or "laws."
What restrictions of laws? What exactly are you talking about? What are you pushing for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies