Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Whenever someone claims the Bible 'clearly' condemns homosexuality, they are usually referring to what they have been told about either the 2 Leviticus verses (taken out of their original context of Molech worship) or Paul's sin lists of people who won't be entering the "kingdom of god" (1 Cor 6-9, 1 Tim 1:10). Or Sodom and Gomorrah - which was about the law of hospitality to strangers and guests and had nothing to do with homosexuals at all. Male rape is not homosexuality and was/is most often used by heterosexual men to dominate and humiliate other men.

How many people know that the first time the word 'homosexuals' was used in an English translation of the Corinthians verse was only in 1946? Or that it is impossible to honestly translate the Paul's original Greek word "arsenokoites" as 'homosexuals' because it is a masculine word that can't include lesbians - who are also included by using the word 'homosexuals'?

Or that the word had NEVER been used in secular Greek writings to refer to 'homosexuals'?

Or that none of the early church fathers who made it clear they were against male/male sex acts ever referred to Pauls 1 Cor 6-9 verse?

Or that the verse was used for centuries to condemn masturbation not homosexuals?

Maybe this is the part of the Bible they were "told" condemns homosexuality.

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

- Romans 1:26-27

Romans 1

Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Platonic female friends don't hold hands, gaze into each other's eyes, wrap arms around each other's waists and don't kiss on the lips.
Wanna bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Maybe they were kissing/hugging/holding hands while they were waiting for their food to be brought to their table?
That's not in evidence.
Nice that you make things up, eh.

Let me get this straight, you're making stuff up to hate people for.
And then people wonder why I call a lot of them hateros.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-13-2013 at 04:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So this thread is about proposed restrictions on free speech...what?
No. It's not. Perhaps you should read the story first before posting?

It also might help to research what the right to freedom of speech actually means. There is no government involvement in this story.

The thread is about a young married lesbian couple who got unexpectedly served with a large helping of bigotry and rudeness after they had paid for their meal in a restaurant owned by a self-righteous religious hypocrite who says he was "told by God" to give these young women a rather offensive note.

He apparently is unaware of the irony that, while condemning this lesbian couple of something the Bible doesn't even mention, he himself is breaking a long list of biblical commandments.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wanna bet?
Fine, I'll win anyway.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Would it be rude to tell a stranger their second-hand smoke is harmful to others?

Would it be any of my business how a parent disciplines his or her child (spanking/worse)?

What a wonderful world it would be for the left if clear thinking people could just be silenced.

"how would you feel if someone came up to you and told you they didn't like your lifestyle"

Unlike many homosexuals and liberals generally, I would see if I could learn something from them.

I would ask questions that would require thoughtful responses.

If they are able to back up their admonitions with logic, I will have learned something worthwhile.
First, how would their marriage harm anyone like second hand smoke?
How is their marriage abusing a child?

Since their marriage isn't hurting anyone, it isn't his place to intrude.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Hothulamaui, in Christianity belief, they must go out and spread the good news, when all the world has heard about Jesus Christ and has the ability to repent and become a part of the Christ family, only then will Jesus return to rapture the Church. So he was only doing what Christians are supposed to be doing which is spreading the gospel, and imploring people to turn from their "evil" ways. This is what they believe. I mean have you seen preachers, evanglists, ministers, fiery for Christ people on the street passing out pamphlets hollering about the end of the days, repent, and you need to change your life or hell damnation will befall on you? They believe they are doing this out of love, so in a Christian's eyes he did right, no matter the "persecution" and scruitny he is facing, he did a right thing by calling out their sins. Some churches make a person stand at the front on Sundays and confess their sins to the WHOOOLLLLEEE congregation; I mean everything! So to some of us he may have been out of line, but to others he is a soldier in Christ's army, and he tried to save these poor ladies' soul from eternal damnation. Remember the saying, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Christians live by that, they feel that they are responsible to tell everyone about god, and if they don't god will hold them accountable for that person's soul.

I hope I cleared up the situation for you; you can still not like what he did but to him he did it out of love. If he did not love them, he would turn a blind eye to their wicked ways (in his opinion). Oh and if he were to refuse them service, he would have gotten his ass drug through the courts with a lawsuit.
Then perhaps you should show him your 'love' by posting on his guestbook to tell him about the long list of sins he is committing that will have him burning in the fires of hell unless he:

Cuts his long hair (but leaves the sideburns long)
Gets his tatoos lasered off.
Closes his restaurant on the Sabbath.
Stops serving seafood that doesn't have scales and fins (lobster, shrimp, crab)
Stops wearing clothes of mixed fabric.
Stops serving people who are divorced and remarried.
Stops judging other people
Stops bearing false witness

>> just for starters.

Then maybe you could encourage him to actually read the Bible and find out where it says anything at all about lesbians, especially married lesbians. Nowhere. (No... not Pauls 1st letter to the Romans. Early church fathers referred to it when they spoke of women who had anal sex with men, not women who had sex with each other. Besides the letter is about people turning away from Pauls God and returning to their idolatrous worshipping of pagan gods - if you actually read the whole letter)

Then perhaps you could remind him of what Jesus said to the Pharisees who were hypocrites who judged others by the letter of the law but broke the law themselves. (Matt 23)

Then maybe you could remind him of what Jesus said were the two greatest commandments that summed up ALL of gods laws? Love God, and love one another as yourself.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Or do you want to infringe on first amendment rights as well?
This has nothing to do with infringing first amendment rights.

Of course the restaurant owner is entitled to his opinion, no matter how ignorant, hypocritical or bigoted.

There is also no law which says he couldn't hand them that nasty little note he claimed 'God' told him to give this young lesbian couple who had just eaten in his restaurant and paid for the privilege. Of course he waited until after they had paid for their meal. No doubt he thinks his God wants him to make a profit from his Seafood restaurant which is open on the Sabbath? Perhaps he doesn't know his God prefers the pleasing aroma of the burnt flesh sacrifices of rams, and thinks lobster, shrimp and crab are an abomination?

Do you have a problem with other people expressing their opinions that what he did was ignorant, offensive, hypocritical, uncalled for and rather stupid as a business owner?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Sting Ray Cafe - New Bern | Urbanspoon
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sting-ray-cafe-new-bern

Link to reviews.
Hahahahaha. Now, others are having their say.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
He has the right to let them know what his view is on their relationship.
It was a chicken **** move to wait until after they were obligated to contribute to his financial well being before doing so.
He excercised his option but deprived them of theirs.
The publicizing of this will hopefully even things up for them.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Would it be rude to tell a stranger their second-hand smoke is harmful to others?

Would it be any of my business how a parent disciplines his or her child (spanking/worse)?

What a wonderful world it would be for the left if clear thinking people could just be silenced.

"how would you feel if someone came up to you and told you they didn't like your lifestyle"

Unlike many homosexuals and liberals generally, I would see if I could learn something from them.

I would ask questions that would require thoughtful responses.

If they are able to back up their admonitions with logic, I will have learned something worthwhile.
What is 'harmful to others" about a nice young married lesbian couple having a meal in a restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies