Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times

Advertisements

What did he hope to accomplish by doing this? Did he think the women would just say to each other

'Well darn, this guy we don't know heard a voice in his head, and the voice told him him to write a letter to us. The letter says we are going to hell and insinuates we ruin the lives of others. So now we must bid each other farewell, despite loving each other, and pretend we are heterosexual, and seek out further knowledge from He-Who-Hears-Voices.'

Instead, it only made them feel persecuted, probably made it even less likely they would ever turn to this nutjob's religion, and it will possibly hurt his business as word spreads. This guy is an utter moron.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe that Jesus would have said "Go and sin no more." As he had said to many of his disciples.

Sodomites were NOT seen as normal....due to health risks.
How was this married lesbian couple 'sinning'? By ordering lobster?

And I believe Jesus would have joined the lesbians having their meal (obviously not lobster- perhaps a nice perch?) and wished them well in their love for each other. And then he would have castigated the restaurant owner for being a nasty hypocrite and torn up his little 'love' note and thrown it in the trash where it belonged.

As the story of Sodom was about the Jewish law of hospitality, a Sodomite would have been someone who treats strangers and guests poorly, especially those under their own roof.

Guess that makes the restaurant owner a Sodomite.

By the way, are you unaware that according to the CDC, lesbians have the lowest rates of STDs and zero cases of HIV reported from female/female sex?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe that Jesus would have said "Go and sin no more." As he had said to many of his disciples.

Sodomites were NOT seen as normal....due to health risks.
"Sodomites" were not gay people. Lot and his daughters were Sodomites. The KJV uses "sodomite" to refer to shrine prostitutes.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maybe this is the part of the Bible they were "told" condemns homosexuality.

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

- Romans 1:26-27

Romans 1
Then you yourself are clearly a homosexual.

Romans 2
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?

So tell us momonkey, why do you engage in unnatural relations with members of the same-sex?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What did he hope to accomplish by doing this? Did he think the women would just say to each other

'Well darn, this guy we don't know heard a voice in his head, and the voice told him him to write a letter to us. The letter says we are going to hell and insinuates we ruin the lives of others. So now we must bid each other farewell, despite loving each other, and pretend we are heterosexual, and seek out further knowledge from He-Who-Hears-Voices.'

Instead, it only made them feel persecuted, probably made it even less likely they would ever turn to this nutjob's religion, and it will possibly hurt his business as word spreads. This guy is an utter moron.
Pretty much.

I have to wonder how he treated his own lesbian daughter. I doubt she would have stuck around to get dumped on by his unloving ignorant hypocritical ranting for too long. Perhaps he was just taking his anger at his own daughter out on this innocent lesbian couple. Perhaps his daughter had enough and told him to take a hike and doesn't bother to come back with his grandson to see him and he feels bitter towards all lesbians. Therapy might help him. Writing nasty notes to customers won't.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-13-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
His business I have no problem with it at all.
What if this had been an interracial couple? What if he had handed them a note as they left explaining why interracial dating and marriage were a bad idea, how his daughter married a black man and regretted it, etc.? Would that still be okay?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Hothulamaui, in Christianity belief, they must go out and spread the good news, when all the world has heard about Jesus Christ and has the ability to repent and become a part of the Christ family, only then will Jesus return to rapture the Church. So he was only doing what Christians are supposed to be doing which is spreading the gospel, and imploring people to turn from their "evil" ways. This is what they believe. I mean have you seen preachers, evanglists, ministers, fiery for Christ people on the street passing out pamphlets hollering about the end of the days, repent, and you need to change your life or hell damnation will befall on you? They believe they are doing this out of love, so in a Christian's eyes he did right, no matter the "persecution" and scruitny he is facing, he did a right thing by calling out their sins. Some churches make a person stand at the front on Sundays and confess their sins to the WHOOOLLLLEEE congregation; I mean everything! So to some of us he may have been out of line, but to others he is a soldier in Christ's army, and he tried to save these poor ladies' soul from eternal damnation. Remember the saying, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Christians live by that, they feel that they are responsible to tell everyone about god, and if they don't god will hold them accountable for that person's soul.

I hope I cleared up the situation for you; you can still not like what he did but to him he did it out of love. If he did not love them, he would turn a blind eye to their wicked ways (in his opinion). Oh and if he were to refuse them service, he would have gotten his ass drug through the courts with a lawsuit.
only arrogant judgmental "Christians" do this. if all Christians walked around telling people they were living life wrong, for not going to church on sunday, premarital sex, the list is endless, about 80% of the country would be getting a letter or a sermon on a daily basis.

this is not love this is arrogant judgmental hatred disguised as helping a sinner. these arrogant idiots give religion a bad name

Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
"Sodomites" were not gay people. Lot and his daughters were Sodomites. The KJV uses "sodomite" to refer to shrine prostitutes.
The KJV translators used the word 'sodomite' as a translation of the Hebrew word 'qadesh' which means 'shrine' or 'cult' prostitute' as you say. It doesn't mean homosexual.

Anyone can look that up in Strong's lexicon and online parallel bibles:

Just one example is:

Deut 23:17 "None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult 6948 prostitute nor shall any of the sons of Israel be a cult 6945 prostitute.

KJV version: "There shall be no w-h-o-r-e of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel"

Here's more:

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon- qadesh

Strongs 6945 qadesh = male temple prostitute

Strongs 6948 qĕdeshah = female temple prostitute

What's even more interesting is that the verse in Leviticus (18:22) that people use to condemn 'homosexuals' actually directly follows a verse which says not to give over your sons and daughters to Molech (a Canaanite god associated with pagan shrines and cult prostitutes in several places in the Bible). To me, it's rather obvious the Leviticus verses were referring to the practice of Canaanite male cult prostitutes (who were dressed as women) being used to worship fertility gods to ensure the crops were abundant and the animals were fertile.

The Bible is fascinating to study without the blinders of religious brainwashing and prejudice.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-13-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Would it be rude to tell a stranger their second-hand smoke is harmful to others?

Would it be any of my business how a parent disciplines his or her child (spanking/worse)?

What a wonderful world it would be for the left if clear thinking people could just be silenced.

"how would you feel if someone came up to you and told you they didn't like your lifestyle"

Unlike many homosexuals and liberals generally, I would see if I could learn something from them.

I would ask questions that would require thoughtful responses.

If they are able to back up their admonitions with logic, I will have learned something worthwhile.
second hand smoke, disciplining a child, and a car bomb are far different than being gay. being gay is no one's business other than the gay person. disciplining a child is no one's business unless it is physical abuse.

I doubt seriously if a random atheist came up to you and handled you a rude letter or gave you a "sermon" about how your religion was an abomination you would take it as a "loving gesture" only done to show you the light.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Nothing rude about the letter at all. He would have been amiss if he had not done so - they needed to hear the truth and he likely wouldn't have had a clear conscience if he didn't communicate that they seek the Lord, receive forgiveness, and repent.

Thank God that he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
As I said before, nothing about the letter was rude.

The man spoke the truth.

Why not grapple with Mr. Jillette's question - this time putting it in context of what the restaurant owner did?

How much would the owner have to have hated the women, to not have given them the letter?

His action abounds with his love for them.

Love for a person does not equal love for wrong actions.
nothing rude about it? done out of love? what a crock of crap! it is rude for a stranger to stick their judgmental nose in a stranger's life and arrogantly tell them that they are living their lives wrong. how can that not be anything but rude. as I asked above, how would you take an atheist telling you how you worship is wrong?

thinking behavior like what this man did as nothing but loving is being blind to reality. this has nothing to do with hoping the gay couple changes their orientation and find god. this is about thinking other people he didn't perceive/judge living a life he didn't approve of. arrogance plain and simple. he should look to his own house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies