Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef $1.89#
1/2 cup instant rice $0.59
2 medium sized yellow onions $0.33
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs $0.50
1/3 cup Kurtz Ketchup $0.55
3 large grade A eggs $0.60

Bake in 350 degree oven for 2.5 hours in a roaster
Yield, 2 dinners & 1 lunch
serve with with baked potato and 1 can of creamed corn

M M good.
There is this box dinner for $2. All you do is ad the meat ($2-6) and it lasts you a week! It's amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef $1.89#
1/2 cup instant rice $0.59
2 medium sized yellow onions $0.33
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs $0.50
1/3 cup Kurtz Ketchup $0.55
3 large grade A eggs $0.60

Bake in 350 degree oven for 2.5 hours in a roaster
Yield, 2 dinners & 1 lunch
serve with with baked potato and 1 can of creamed corn

M M good.
Those prices don't even remotely resemble the prices here in the DC area.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
There is this box dinner for $2. All you do is ad the meat ($2-6) and it lasts you a week! It's amazing
While we're on the subject of eats,

Did you ever notice how the fiscal hawks are chickens when a republican president occupies the White House? But turn back into hawks when people become unemployed or under employed and then want to cut public assistance programs when people really need them the most?

People complaining about abuses that amount to a measly 1% of it's budget?
It's such fake outrage and whining if someone with a ebt card buys a sirloin chop. I guess the po people should be satisfied with a grain of rice and a tablespoon of soup.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Those prices don't even remotely resemble the prices here in the DC area.
http://shopthepig.mywebgrocer.com/Ci...45&st=BDD76152

When you have a pig card, you receive a discount. get with the program.
I use 73% lean, the oil/fat bakes out.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
http://shopthepig.mywebgrocer.com/Ci...45&st=BDD76152

When you have a pig card, you receive a discount. get with the program.
I use 73% lean, the oil/fat bakes out.
Not sure what you're trying to show me here? We don't have Piggly Wiggly in DC.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. I'm not hard up for cash in any way, but I have on several occasions watched food stamp recipients check out at the register and it was obvious that their shopping cart "quality" far exceeded mine. Do I have the money to buy all the fancy foods in the grocery store? Yes, I do. Many times over. But, the difference between me and the EBT user in front of me is that I scrutinize every penny I spend (business, personal, or otherwise), which is precisely why I have money and haven't been short on money in a great number of years.

You're living in a dream world if you think that spending other peoples' money doesn't eliminate impulse spending at the grocery store. Not an ounce of reality in your assertions.

I won't comment on the rest of your post.
I'm unfamiliar with how the system works, so I have these questions:

If a recipient gets a certain amount of dollars of food assistance per month, and they do not spend it all, do they get the balance to save, or is it a savings for the government? Say they get $1,200 per month but spend $1,100 one month - what happens to the other $100?

If they spend all $1,200 and get 20 days' worth of meals because they bought high-dollar, premium food items, rather than shopping judiciously and getting 30 days' worth of meals, are they without recourse to extra dollars for that month?

If you required food assistance, would you think to yourself that you would scrimp and spend only, say, 60 percent of what you received per month, or would you take advantage of the full monthly allocation?

If the monthly amount of assistance is fixed regardless of how the recipient chooses to spend it, and the government has ascertained that a family of 'x' with 'y' income should have 'z' amount of dollars a month in help, what difference does it make if it's spent on prime rib versus chicken nuggets?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

If a recipient gets a certain amount of dollars of food assistance per month, and they do not spend it all, do they get the balance to save, or is it a savings for the government? Say they get $1,200 per month but spend $1,100 one month - what happens to the other $100?

If they spend all $1,200 and get 20 days' worth of meals because they bought high-dollar, premium food items, rather than shopping judiciously and getting 30 days' worth of meals, are they without recourse to extra dollars for that month?

If you required food assistance, would you think to yourself that you would scrimp and spend only, say, 60 percent of what you received per month, or would you take advantage of the full monthly allocation?

If the monthly amount of assistance is fixed regardless of how the recipient chooses to spend it, and the government has ascertained that a family of 'x' with 'y' income should have 'z' amount of dollars a month in help, what difference does it make if it's spent on prime rib versus chicken nuggets?
Regarding your first set of questions, I can't answer because I've never been on public assistance. I am not familiar with the specific limitations on monthly allocations or "use or lose" provisions.

Regarding the last question, I believe it matters alot. Why? Because there are millions of American's barely scraping by who do not qualify for food stamps. Every single penny they earn they have to watch and spend judiciously because there is no assistance available to them. This to me is like a "donut hole" whereas they don't qualify for assistance but they barely can make ends meet. Because this "donut hole" exists and deserving families are turned away for assistance, I believe it goes against principles of being a reasonable person to go from barely making ends meet to egregious shopping trips on other peoples' money. And it's quite obvious that many people do in fact make egregious purchases when using public assistance. It's the principle of the matter.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Well...when they're wearing an Obama jacket...I guess you can assume with 99.99% accuracy they're an Obama supporter..
How convenient! Suddenly, your story rings even less true.

But - do carry on with your whining. What happened to personal responsibility? Does that only apply to OTHER people?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If a recipient gets a certain amount of dollars of food assistance per month, and they do not spend it all, do they get the balance to save, or is it a savings for the government?

Unspent dollars remain in the recipients account. They do not have to spend their total benefit for the month.

If they spend over their allotted benefits for the month they are not eligible for additional benefits. However depending on the state there maybe other resources that their case work may be able to refer them to depending on the circumstances.

Well there is certainly no incentive not to spend the monthly allotment but from what I am reading, comments by recipients, they prefer the roll over rather than worrying about spending the entire allotment. By the way, if the EBT card is not used for a year the account is closed.

Allotments are based upon fixed formulas and unless there is a change in the number of household members or household income the benefits remain fixed. But to answer your question, the Nanny state doesn't want to oversee recipient spending, that's sort of their business.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..

This entire post is a lie. If anyone is eating better than you it's because you don't know how to shop. Why do weird people troll internet forums? I know why but I'm too nice to say it again.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-14-2013 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies