Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,124,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Please...You're coming around here playing the sympathy card?

I'm a lowly manager at a Defense Contractor. My wife is a federal worker. We just finished dropping nearly 80k on 3 1/2 years of undergrad and one year of grad school for my son. I've got a mortgage, car notes, phones bills, utility bills, etc..... We don't make that much money, and yet we're not sitting around crying about people on food stamps eating better than us.

If people on EBT are eating better than you, then you've got problems that aren't the fault of people on food stamps.
If you don't have a problem with people on food stamps eating high on the hog...you know what...support them on your own dime...Best of luck to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,256,983 times
Default I'm a Po Boy Myself

2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef $1.89#
1/2 cup instant rice $0.59
2 medium sized yellow onions $0.33
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs $0.50
1/3 cup Kurtz Ketchup $0.55
3 large grade A eggs $0.60

Bake in 350 degree oven for 2.5 hours in a roaster
Yield, 2 dinners & 1 lunch
serve with with baked potato and 1 can of creamed corn

M M good.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,220,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef $1.89#
1/2 cup instant rice $0.59
2 medium sized yellow onions $0.33
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs $0.50
1/3 cup Kurtz Ketchup $0.55
3 large grade A eggs $0.60

Bake in 350 degree oven for 2.5 hours in a roaster
Yield, 2 dinners & 1 lunch
serve with with baked potato and 1 can of creamed corn

M M good.
OP, take notes.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,169,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I seriously doubt that with your attitude and how you join the rest of the hyena's on this site in attacking the poor for the simple crime of being poor. Not once in this thread alone have you even talked about the money that gets funneled to them instead you and the op whine and cry like little girls about the poor always about the poor always wanting to demonize them when what exactly is it that separates you from them ? Circumstances, bad choices ? How about being laid off from your job and having to live off of unemployment ? Or like many of the completely clueless on here would call it "funenjoyment" Believe me it's not fun, nor is it fun to live off of welfare like many of the knuckle dragging fish brains on this site who keep saying stupid things like " Duhhh Imma quit my job and go on section 8 and be poor because they know how to live daaaauuhhhh" These are idiots saying this who have never been poor or have never been on welfare. If anything it's actually rather degrading, so excuse me if I could careless if we have pro posters on this site whining about people using services that is needed. I honestly could careless about what you or any of the other cold heared pathetic human beings on this site say because all you and many others on this site seem to care about is just arguing for arguments sake. You care nothing about the USA and you care nothing about it's citizens if you want to spend your life defending the "job creators" go sign up Halliburton to get killed protecting them and there interests. And btw when you become of no use to them they will throw you back broken and/or crippled to die in the street but go ahead keep talking about them like they are some mystical thing.
I employ micro-sympathy, not macro-sympathy.

Why on Earth would I extend blanket sympathy to those who seek out and use food stamps when in fact there are billions of dollars of fraud in the system every single decade?

No, I prefer to extend sympathy and empathy to those I encounter whose bad luck (not bad decisions) have created an unfortunate situation. That's where I differ from you.......you appear to throw out blanket sympathy for food stamp users simply because they qualify for the benefit. Bad luck or bad life choices, you simply don't care. If they qualify, you feel sorry for them and could care less about the fraud, waste, and abuse that occurs.

You and I will never see eye to eye on this subject as long as your blanket sympathy policy applies.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Burden of proof is on you, buddy. You made the claim.
It's already been posted by another poster. Read the thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So, your point is that you're now backpeddling on your $7.5B quote, now making it a 10 year period of time? how about 20 years, I'm terrible at math.
Huh? I clearly used the word "decade" in my posts. Since i'm sure you can read, the only logical conclusion that I can come to is that you didn't know that a "decade" equaled 10 years. So I guess you really are "terrible at math."

Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
Don't be upset that you're just a bad parent who can't provide for his family and is forced to live up to that fact.

Isn't there something else you could be doing other than whining about your failures on C-D?

Good grief, man. If you really cared at all then this wouldn't be an issue. Nice to know that we mean more to you than your family does.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,121,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800.
I know that simple mathematics is a problem for conservatives but let's see if we can make some progress here.

Person A receives SNAP benefits of $793 per month for a household of 5 (the max amount although the average benefit FY2010 was $581).

Person B spends on average $800 per month on groceries for a same sized household.

If A chooses to spend their total benefit on steak and lobster in the beginning of the mouth leaving nothing for the rest of it, while person B spends $200.00 per week for four weeks, who at the end of the month ate better? Person A who dined lavishly for a week but had little food two weeks later, or person B who spread out their expenditure and ate modestly every week?

By the way, the average monthly benefit for a family of 4 in FY2010 was a lavish $496.00.

A Quick Guide to Food Stamp Eligibility and Benefits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

225 posts, read 345,446 times
Wow! Too bad you aren't aware of all the facts, which is where many of us start.

1. Your daughter is going to college - if her dad hadn't lent her the $$, either would my daughter
2. You have a mortgage - I lost my house when I couldn't support 5 people on $22,000
3. My ex didn't pay child support for 10 years - and I still supported 5 people on $22,000
4. I don't receive "Welfare, I receive Social Security Disability Insurance," for which I paid during my 30+ years of working full time
5. My food stamps amount to $110/mo. My Income is $1,300 PER MONTH. My rent is $600.

Are you still jealous?

If you want to gripe about something, gripe about the fact that we can't buy "warm" food (like a $6 routisserie chicken) on our cards, but people can buy frozen (meat) or seafood (lobster) which, if all they have left for the month is $10 in stamps, is the only thing they can "afford."

I can't afford to buy meat, vegetables & fruit in one month, let alone eggs and milk. We eat simply, poor nutritiously, and often skip meals several days in one week.

I live alone, among others in the same condition; we have a once a week visit to the food pantry, which is more help than the stamps.

And you are concerned because someone else used $100 in food stamps toward that order? It's possible you were watching someone from a church or mission checking through the registers. Anyone paying with food stamps is either purchasing for themselves, or a shut-in or elderly neighbor has sent someone to the store on their behalf.

No one person can buy $800 worth of food on any amount of food stamps. Are you sure it was $800? Are you sure it was an EBT card? There are food and cash benefits on some EBT cards. Someone might have been using all their benefits for the month on groceries. This would happen if they had several (over 5 or so) children; I know a family with two parents and a child that get just around $300.

It is absolutely impossible to shop for one individual on $121 mo. I generally use another $100 on groceries and then supplement with take-out, since it is often cheaper than buying groceries.

I'm well-educated, well-versed, and well-qualified. I am just "not well" enough to work in my field.

"Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd".."

Don't ask the question if you don't want an answer.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,256,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Huh? I clearly used the word "decade" in my posts. Since i'm sure you can read, the only logical conclusion that I can come to is that you didn't know that a "decade" equaled 10 years. So I guess you really are "terrible at math."
One post reflects that decade quote. It is the equivalent to 1% fraud.
not too shabby for a gov't program huh?
Let's go onto the subject of DOD fraud, waste and abuse now. Since you're so concerned with fiscal responsibility.

DOD Fraud, waste, and abuse killing American economy | NowPublic News Coverage

Quote:
ch as $60 billion in U.S. tax dollars has been lost to waste and fraud in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past decade due to lax oversight of contractors, poor planning and corruption, according to an independent panel.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: DOD Fraud, waste, and abuse killing American economy | NowPublic News Coverage DOD Fraud, waste, and abuse killing American economy | NowPublic News Coverage
Then let's talk about other gov't waste, like pork projects in congressional districts.

And don't even get me started about the GOP jobs bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies