Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Google is your friend. Look it up.

The $7.5B is the "known" fraud that takes place ....ie. via "lost" EBT card replacement and corrupt food stamp desk agents. This doesn't account for the actual fraud that takes place through merchant fraud and application fraud. The $7.5B represents the sterile fraud at the point of issuance. Quite literally, if you show up at the food stamp office claiming to lost a card, you will not be questioned in depth and you will be issued another card. This is well known within the food stamp cottage industry.

In other words, many more millions and probably billions are expended that has never been accounted for on the "street."
More like $750M not billion,

Food Stamp Fraud: Agriculture Department Taking New Steps To Combat Selling Benefit Cards

Quote:
Overall, food stamp fraud costs taxpayers about $750 million a year, or 1 percent of the $75 billion program that makes up the bulk of the department's total budget for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,482 times
Default Even the reporter was aghast and disgusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What is odd about some of this is that some want to defund planned parenthood, the supplier of birth contraception to poor women, if that stops, the only method of contraception left for a woman would be an aspirin.

Santorum Backer Friess Suggests "Aspirin Between Their Knees" As Contraception - YouTube

Wow!! Could someone kick his sexist ass back to what ever time period he's talking about please.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of r
Pics or didn't happen.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,906 times
Quote:
Google is your friend. Look it up.

The $7.5B is the "known" fraud that takes place ....ie. via "lost" EBT card replacement and corrupt food stamp desk agents. This doesn't account for the actual fraud that takes place through merchant fraud and application fraud. The $7.5B represents the sterile fraud at the point of issuance. Quite literally, if you show up at the food stamp office claiming to lost a card, you will not be questioned in depth and you will be issued another card. This is well known within the food stamp cottage industry.

In other words, many more millions and probably billions are expended that has never been accounted for on the "street."
So basically you're saying you made this up. A Google search shows that the only place where $7.5 billion shows up is in this post

Google

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
A 1 percent fraud rate. Any program should be so lucky.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..

the other dems and left wingers have already addressed your thread, but i have to ask. Is an EBT card just like a debt card, the government puts money on each month and it rolls over ???

if so, i have no problem with them saving a few dollars for a big meal.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,872 times
Quote:
I have stood against corporate bailouts many times. You know not what you speak.
I seriously doubt that with your attitude and how you join the rest of the hyena's on this site in attacking the poor for the simple crime of being poor. Not once in this thread alone have you even talked about the money that gets funneled to them instead you and the op whine and cry like little girls about the poor always about the poor always wanting to demonize them when what exactly is it that separates you from them ? Circumstances, bad choices ? How about being laid off from your job and having to live off of unemployment ? Or like many of the completely clueless on here would call it "funenjoyment" Believe me it's not fun, nor is it fun to live off of welfare like many of the knuckle dragging fish brains on this site who keep saying stupid things like " Duhhh Imma quit my job and go on section 8 and be poor because they know how to live daaaauuhhhh" These are idiots saying this who have never been poor or have never been on welfare. If anything it's actually rather degrading, so excuse me if I could careless if we have pro posters on this site whining about people using services that is needed. I honestly could careless about what you or any of the other cold heared pathetic human beings on this site say because all you and many others on this site seem to care about is just arguing for arguments sake. You care nothing about the USA and you care nothing about it's citizens if you want to spend your life defending the "job creators" go sign up Halliburton to get killed protecting them and there interests. And btw when you become of no use to them they will throw you back broken and/or crippled to die in the street but go ahead keep talking about them like they are some mystical thing.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the other dems and left wingers have already addressed your thread, but i have to ask. Is an EBT card just like a debt card, the government puts money on each month and it rolls over ???

if so, i have no problem with them saving a few dollars for a big meal.
Yes. A set amount of money is deposited on the cards each week or month. Only approved, non-prepared foods can be bought.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,482 times
Default Whoa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I seriously doubt that with your attitude and how you join the rest of the hyena's on this site in attacking the poor for the simple crime of being poor. Not once in this thread alone have you even talked about the money that gets funneled to them instead you and the op whine and cry like little girls about the poor always about the poor always wanting to demonize them when what exactly is it that separates you from them ? Circumstances, bad choices ? How about being laid off from your job and having to live off of unemployment ? Or like many of the completely clueless on here would call it "funenjoyment" Believe me it's not fun, nor is it fun to live off of welfare like many of the knuckle dragging fish brains on this site who keep saying stupid things like " Duhhh Imma quit my job and go on section 8 and be poor because they know how to live daaaauuhhhh" These are idiots saying this who have never been poor or have never been on welfare. If anything it's actually rather degrading, so excuse me if I could careless if we have pro posters on this site whining about people using services that is needed. I honestly could careless about what you or any of the other cold heared pathetic human beings on this site say because all you and many others on this site seem to care about is just arguing for arguments sake. You care nothing about the USA and you care nothing about it's citizens if you want to spend your life defending the "job creators" go sign up Halliburton to get killed protecting them and there interests. And btw when you become of no use to them they will throw you back broken and/or crippled to die in the street but go ahead keep talking about them like they are some mystical thing.

I think nothing else has to be said; you've said it ALL

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Decade = 10 years

10 X $750M = $7.5B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies