Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
Get a job, earn money, eat better, live better, stop suckling.

Tell your kid to get a job and pay for her own education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,906 times
Quote:
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
No you weren't.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
1.) Your story didn't happen.
2.) Why are you paying for your daughter's college? She's 18. She should have gotten a full right on her merit alone. If not, let her pay for it through loans and working. You are enabling her too much.
3.) Your mortgage? Why are you struggling to pay a mortgage? You probably couldn't afford it in the first place.
4.) If someone on welfare eats better than you, you have made poor life choices.
5.) Sad stories? We don't want to hear your sad stories of people on welfare eating better than you.
6.) If you are struggling so bad, maybe you should work harder at your job for the big promotion instead of wasting time posting thread after thread on P&OC. Those TPS reports don't get filled out themselves.
7.) Stop blaming the system for your shortcomings. That sounds like the victim mentality to me.
I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. I'm not hard up for cash in any way, but I have on several occasions watched food stamp recipients check out at the register and it was obvious that their shopping cart "quality" far exceeded mine. Do I have the money to buy all the fancy foods in the grocery store? Yes, I do. Many times over. But, the difference between me and the EBT user in front of me is that I scrutinize every penny I spend (business, personal, or otherwise), which is precisely why I have money and haven't been short on money in a great number of years.

You're living in a dream world if you think that spending other peoples' money doesn't eliminate impulse spending at the grocery store. Not an ounce of reality in your assertions.

I won't comment on the rest of your post.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,148 times
Quote:

Obama is trying to fix that.
I think he would like us all dependent upon Government.

The only problem is once you and all the rest of the Middle Class who are struggling to make ends meet and pay this a$$h0les taxes are also on government assistance - who is left to pay?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No, we would still get taxed, except the money would go to another program.

When the cut money to one program, have the taxes gone down? No, they just allocated it somewhere else.

Well shyt what's the point of getting pissy then if they gonna tax me the same? I'm getting f**ked either way. Now if you would have said, yep your taxes would go down, I would have signed the petition to end welfare, a lot of people are on it, because the government wants so much. If they could ease the tax burdens or raise minimum wage or forgive a portion of student loans, or really help someone who choose to educate themselves with finding employment in their field, then most would not be on assistance. True you have scammers who will use and abuse things but that's in every thing; especially if it pertains to money! Dayum you hurt my feelings saying no the taxes won't go down if government assistance were to vanish.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Ok we need one more to make it legit that there is something buttnasty going on up in here

LOL too late
Well I was referring him to being the Mark Sanchez of posters.

Mark Sanchez has worst fumble he could have, cause of a butt? - YouTube

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:

Sorry, but I don't believe your story. Not a word of it....

2,341 posts, read 3,499,221 times
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble...but i'm not a big meat eater and of especially junk food...
Then you OP is worthless amd has nothing to do with welfare ! ! !

2,603 posts, read 5,023,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. I'm not hard for cash in any way, but I have on several occasions watched food stamp recipients check out at the register and it was obvious that their shopping cart "quality" far exceeded mine. Do I have the money to buy all the fancy foods in the grocery store? Yes, I do. Many times over. But, the difference between me and the EBT user in front of me is that I scrutinize every penny I spend (business, personal, or otherwise), which is precisely why I have money and haven't been short on funds in a great number of years.

You're living in a dream world if you don't think that spending other peoples' money doesn't impede resistance to impulse shopping for food.

I won't comment on the rest of your post.
No you haven't.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Well shyt what's the point of getting pissy then if they gonna tax me the same? I'm getting f**ked either way. Now if you would have said, yep your taxes would go down, I would have signed the petition to end welfare, a lot of people are on it, because the government wants so much. If they could ease the tax burdens or raise minimum wage or forgive a portion of student loans, or really help someone who choose to educate themselves with finding employment in their field, then most would not be on assistance. True you have scammers who will use and abuse things but that's in every thing; especially if it pertains to money! Dayum you hurt my feelings saying no the taxes won't go down if government assistance were to vanish.
Not going to happen.

Government can elminate 100% of welfare and your taxes will still be the same. If people are willing to pay this amount in taxes, why would the government lower it?

Out of kindness of their heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies