Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
FYI...I'm not mooching off the taxpayers I own a seasonal business...
What do you do in the off-seasons, because you spend and awful lot of time here posting.

Perhaps you can provide better if you work in the off-season. Just saying.

But if you are trying to make the case that the government should not provide food to needy people, I will tell you that the average time people spend in the program is 18 months and I'd rather have this humane program instead of having desperate parents breaking into my house or robbing people for food money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I'd say about 40-50% of our monthly take home pay goes towards three things: mortgage/utilities, food, and daycare for our youngest 2. These are three things that welfare recipients get fully or mostly covered. But here's the thing, I wouldn't want my kids living in the crap holes that take section 8, or send my kids to the awful daycares in those neighborhoods. We are also able to put away a good deal of funds in our retirement accounts so that we'll live comfortably in our old age. So while they may drive cars as nice as mine, and have other nice things, I certainly wouldn't want to trade spots with them.

I feel pity for them. Unless they are using the assistance as a way to kick off on their on and not just a permanent thing (I have no problem with that since I too have found myself relying on government at times of need). It also enrages me as well, but then sometimes I admire them that they have found a way to not do anything and get almost everything handed to them, however I still pity them because most of them will never have anything else than what they have now; while I am going and doing things with my life, they are stuck in a box that they don't even want to get out of. They've given up on life, and can't see any hope beyond what they have and they are trapped.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,257 times
Quote:
Wow, this little anecdote just keeps getting more and more believable.
Oh..yeah..I'm sure they pulled that lever for Romney...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
1.) Your story didn't happen.
2.) Why are you paying for your daughter's college? She's 18. She should have gotten a full right on her merit alone. If not, let her pay for it through loans and working. You are enabling her too much.
3.) Your mortgage? Why are you struggling to pay a mortgage? You probably couldn't afford it in the first place.
4.) If someone on welfare eats better than you, you have made poor life choices.
5.) Sad stories? We don't want to hear your sad stories of people on welfare eating better than you.
6.) If you are struggling so bad, maybe you should work harder at your job for the big promotion instead of wasting time posting thread after thread on P&OC. Those TPS reports don't get filled out themselves.
7.) Stop blaming the system for your shortcomings. That sounds like the victim mentality to me.
This basically sums it all up. Let's end the thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
As a conservative it would seem like you should understand that any problems you are having with your personal finances are entirely your fault. As we have been told over and over again by many conservatives, the only reason that you are not wealthy without a care in the world is due to your own inadequacies and the personal failure of both you and your wife to properly care for your family. Suck it up and blame yourself like a good Republican.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Perhaps they voted for obama the first time around or it could've just been something they got for free, i've seen people wearing army/navy jackets as well as army/navy hats doesn't mean they served.

I've seen that too; I too have a few shirts that I wear and people ask, "Did you walk for Breast Cancer?" and of course I have to say no, that I got it for free. I never went to some of the schools I have t-shirts for either; they were just free, and I love free things (t-shirts, food, gas, etc.)

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,257 times
Quote:
What do you do in the off-seasons, because you spend and awful lot of time here posting.

Perhaps you can provide better if you work in the off-season. Just saying.
With all due respect...I'm on mission from GOD...to be a pain in the A$$ to the left!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
I see your point, I don't know where you live but some of the people replying to this post don't see the things you have or myself. Here where I live in MI I see both sides of it. The people that are just scamming the system, not looking for jobs , creating generation after generation of slackers that know nothing other than how to scam the system. Then drive a few hundred miles north you see the familes that truly need it just to survive. I have no problem helping out those that are truly in need, it's the scammers that I have a problem with.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Lmbbo!!

Quote:
With all due respect...I'm on mission from GOD...to be a pain in the A$$ to the left!!!

LMBBO!! See now I can't take you seriously anymore because of your statement! Now I KNOW you're being an ass just cause.

Just don't make yourself implode

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,872 times
Quote:
Might want to try harder because your failing us here, as well as failing at home. Again if your struggling to pay your bills maybe you should go down to Mcdonalds and ask for a job ? After all what's good for people on welfare making that big money should be good for you...right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies