Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But they COULD...not today, not tomorrow...but some day.

The government could come and take your home, your money, and your right to social services that you've paid into at any time.

So why aren't you already totally paranoid about that? This is what happens when you agree to live in a society.
Oh I don't know, maybe because it's about a thousand times less likely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
ROTFLMAO, My MAIN weapon is already registered with the federal government. It was the service weapon of a secret service agent, and when he gave it to em, he had to file paperwork and a report, that the weapon (and it's serial numbers), were in my possession.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
ROTFLMAO, My MAIN weapon is already registered with the federal government. It was the service weapon of a secret service agent, and when he gave it to em, he had to file paperwork and a report, that the weapon (and it's serial numbers), were in my possession.

only 1 of my firearms has a 4473 attached to it. if confiscation ever did happen, i would turn in my ruger mkII and go home.
if registration happened, i would still turn in my 1 ruger firearm and go home.

all the rest have no paperwork attached to them.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I will define it as more than just a gun.

I will define it as what ever it takes.
A poke in the eye?
A fist to the face?
A knife across the throat?
a 1911 at 10 yards?
a 30-06 at 300 yards?
A tank?
A howitzer?
So, then, when the Constitution was drafted and the Bill of Rights added, it was decided that you could own a tank or a howitzer?

Over the years there have been many things that were legal, then redefined by laws. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, marriage to 12-year-olds, dynamite, brass knuckles, switchblade knives, whiskey, "assault weapons with high-cap mags", mail-order rifles and ammunition, etcetera and so on.

What we need is a legal definition of "arms". That is why the Constitution was drawn with ambiguity built in - so that there can be tests in court as new situations arise.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
BTW it is "course", as in a route or direction, not "coarse", as in something of a rough texture which is poorly sorted.

In any event they should just make it a felony to possess an unregistered firearm subject to stiff penalties including decades in prison and fines so large most people would lose their homes. In addition, like all felons, they should lose the legal privilege to own a firearm (we already take it away from felons and the mentally ill so it is not a right) as they have proven they cannot be trusted to follow the law. That would solve a ton of problems in this country and best of all the crazies would self select themselves for legal action.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
BTW it is "course", as in a route or direction, not "coarse", as in something of a rough texture which is poorly sorted.

In any event they should just make it a felony to possess an unregistered firearm subject to stiff penalties including decades in prison and fines so large most people would lose their homes. In addition, like all felons, they should lose the legal privilege to own a firearm (we already take it away from felons and the mentally ill so it is not a right) as they have proven they cannot be trusted to follow the law. That would solve a ton of problems in this country and best of all the crazies would self select themselves for legal action.

how are you going to house the millions of prisoners? also dont forget that most firearms owners do have tax paying jobs. how will the feds take to losing all that tax revenue when the imprison millions of people?

I for one shall never register any of my firearms. I have 1 firearm with a 4473 attached to it, and I can turn that in very easily. how will you get me to register the rest of them?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

That's laughable.. You don't want to pay to protect kids in school, but you are willing to spend Billions to incarcerate people for not registering a firearm... How many criminals do you think are going to "register" their firearms... I find it hard to believe that anyone is this naive.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That's laughable.. You don't want to pay to protect kids in school, but you are willing to spend Billions to incarcerate people for not registering a firearm... How many criminals do you think are going to "register" their firearms... I find it hard to believe that anyone is this naive.

if all firearms owners that did not register their firearms, i think the number would be in the millions and the feds would never be able to house that many people.

more than likely, especially in alot of gun states, the feds might find their butts getting shot at for trying to arrest people for having unregistered firearms.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Anti gun nuts actually only have themselves to thank for peoples' unwillingness to register their firearms, so it's pretty stupid to get all self righteous about it now.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well since my name, my social security number, and the serial number of my weapon are all listed on the 4473 that I filled out when I bought it and that 4473 is required to be kept for 20 years by the dealer I deem this to be a non-issue.
Only any dealers will have that info on hand.... Unless that dealer closes the shop, or is busted for some sort of illegal activity, chances are BATFE will never see the books.

It isn't a form of registry. And in the case of a gun is used in a crime and found by LEO types, then the gun is a known item, what it is what model it is, the serial number of any, and there is plenty of legal no serial number guns around still.

BUT in that case the cops go to the maker, and are sent to the middleman jobber, then the dealer and his books. Once there it is the first retail buyer that is sought out... He better know who he sold the gun to or have reported it stolen.

.................................................. ....................

If a new law makes a registry the thing of the day, i will refuse. I have always expected the Govt to make criminals out of gun owners for 50 years +.

A registry is just step 1 for total confiscation.... I won't play that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies