Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times

Advertisements

When idiots go and get themselves stuck all over the roads:
- The plows can't get through to clear the roads
- ambulances can't get through to take seriously ill people to the hospital
- fire trucks can't get through to put out fires
- police have to spend their time and endanger themselves rescuing said idiots
The community has a right to protect themselves from idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

You make it sound like people aren't capable of deciding for themselves, without a nanny state dictating to them, to not travel.

Not a single one of those vehicles EXCEPT the snow removal ones are getting through 36" or more snow. Not the ambulances, fire trucks, police, electric utility vehicles etc. They ain't getting through. Then once the plow goes through, if they are on hilly conditions and there is some ice under the snow, a lot of those vehicles still won't get through. So what's your point?

I'm back to if their gonna ban travel, it ought to be for anyone who doesn't have snow removal equipment or a Subaru.

Let it snow!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I know people living through this nightmare.W/O other traffic, the roads will be clear far faster. In 1978, a lesser storm, the quantity of cars stuck in snow on I95 greatly increased how many days were spent clearing it.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.
Technically the law is still on the books that all "cars" are illegal to drive on the Interstate and Highways, they would built specifically for Semi - Trucks and other transport vehicles.

Outside of that the Government can ban all travel as they see fit for emergency conditions such as a BLIZZARD on the way. IF you were to get stranded in your vehicle during a blizzard you would more than likely be stranded for a day or two and more than likely freeze to death or at the very least get hypothermia and/or frostbite and lose a few fingers and toes.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
You make it sound like people aren't capable of deciding for themselves, without a nanny state dictating to them, to not travel.

Not a single one of those vehicles EXCEPT the snow removal ones are getting through 36" or more snow. Not the ambulances, fire trucks, police, electric utility vehicles etc. They ain't getting through. Then once the plow goes through, if they are on hilly conditions and there is some ice under the snow, a lot of those vehicles still won't get through. So what's your point?

I'm back to if their gonna ban travel, it ought to be for anyone who doesn't have snow removal equipment or a Subaru.

Let it snow!
I would feel safer having hamsters pull me in a dog sled than drive one of those.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Technically the law is still on the books that all "cars" are illegal to drive on the Interstate and Highways, they would built specifically for Semi - Trucks and other transport vehicles.

Outside of that the Government can ban all travel as they see fit for emergency conditions such as a BLIZZARD on the way. IF you were to get stranded in your vehicle during a blizzard you would more than likely be stranded for a day or two and more than likely freeze to death or at the very least get hypothermia and/or frostbite and lose a few fingers and toes.
No, they can ban travel on public roads.

They can't ban you from leaving your house and traveling whenever or however, as long as you don't utilize a regulated form if travel on public thoroughfares.

Unless they declare martial law...

So say you have a snow machine, you can drive. Or if you could make it from point a to b on private roads in your truck they can't stop you. Or you can walk down the street.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
No, they can ban travel on public roads.

The overwhelming majority of roads are public. It's 2013, not 1763.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The overwhelming majority of roads are public. It's 2013, not 1763.
Of course they are. Nonetheless the fact remains...

And by travel, I mean vehicular travel.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

Let it snow!
Um, mr. "nanny state" I was being aggressively passed, in the dark around Christmas near Des Moines Iowa while there were snow packed roads and literally dozens upon dozens of cars in the ditch. I gave up and stayed overnight in a hotel.

So let me ask you this. And please don't lie....do you EVER complain about idiots out driving or otherwise making terribly poor decisions?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
I've had to use the 'force' (Star Wars) upon occasion while clearing a road because I really couldn't see past the hood or past the end of the grader. Still, I never hit a vehicle and I never ran completely off the road.
Been there, done that. Only I call it psychic driving. Or when you have to feel your way by the edge of the road, I call that driving by braille. It happens a lot during break-up when mud completely obscures your vision and overwhelms your windshield-wipers.

Quote:
Personally I LOVE the snow. I love the challenge. I love the concept of me and my (well maintained) machine vs whatever mother nature decides to throw in my direction, and I don't expect to lose. I plan for the worst, but will be damned if I'm gonna end up a victim to some snow. So... let it snow baby! Bring it on!
I love winters in Alaska, primarily because the 850,000 tourists that packed the State during the summer have all gone home. Finally, we get the State back for Alaskans.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies