Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm not from Spain. My grandparents are. Now tell me where you got the notion about Cuban blacks that you posted, and we'll nicely proceed with our discussion.
Why don't you take out your magnifying glass and find me a black cuban in Hialeah.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Why do some Americans assume you come from a hellhole if you migrate. That you were escaping great strife, poverty and persecution. At least for the Caribbean the reasons are much more mundane. The biggest draws are higher salaries coupled with how close geographically the US and Canada are to "home" (Trinidad which is as south as the Caribbean gets is just 5 hours from New York City) and the fact that English is the main language spoken in the US and Canada. Those are the chief motivators for (Anglo) Caribbean migration. All of these islands are classified as medium to high development by the UN so the hell hole argument Americans seem to love makes no sense.
In the last 5 years with the Great Recession in the US, migration rates from the Caribbean have dropped dramatically. Many people are even coming back as some islands were not as hard hit as the US was.
I knew a guy from Ghana who would always get mad when people asked if there were wars, famine etc going on. It's not a paradise, but lots of places in the Caribbean and even Africa aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

Why is it people always assume Africa and the Caribbean are so poor and full of violence, but they NEVER show any starving Romanian, Moldovan or Russian kids on television and talk about how bad it is over there? The media only wants to show non-white nations doing badly. There is a reason why Botswana is rarely ever mentioned in the American press (i.e., it's an African nation run by blacks doing better than most former Soviet states)

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Why don't you take out your magnifying glass and find me a black cuban in Hialeah.
You lived in Hialeah?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Irrespective of your beliefs, African Americans are not responsible for the current state of Africa. In truth, much of the destitution is more or less the result of imperialism, the UN (and other NGO's) as well as covert operations from the West, which ensure that the people remain divided and constantly at war.

You are focussing on "he said, she said" b.s. (trivial matters) instead of looking at the crux of the problem.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that a huge chunk of the black American population treats African immigrants like trash and don't even accept that they are black.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,819 times
ok let me explain the immigrant vs slave theory. it simple that even a conservative can understand.

if I snatch 100 random babies and tell them to become NFL players would you reasonable
expect alll of them to be come NFL players.

now if I recruit a 100 NCAA football recruits who wanted to be football players
their whole lives

now which group do you expect to be better at achieving NFL successs,and is it the random babies
fault they are not NFL caliber players

debate over

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You lived in Hialeah?
No, Miami Beach. But do you need to live there to note it's all white Cubans there? How can that be if Miami Cubans are so integrated. They're even segregated politically, a lot of the White Cubans are staunch republicans.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
No, Miami Beach. But do you need to live there to note it's all white Cubans there? How can that be if Miami Cubans are so integrated. They're even segregated politically, a lot of the White Cubans are staunch republicans.
Ah, Miami Beach. The primarily gay areas?

I don't know, you tell me if it's necessary to live there to know Cuban blacks. How many did you know personally?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Ah, Miami Beach. The primarily gay areas?

I don't know, you tell me if it's necessary to live there to know Cuban blacks. How many did you know personally?
Now that I live in Houston? None.

Funny you bring that up, while there I was friends with a black cuban (he claimed to be part greek but damn he was black) gay records producer. Went by the name "Apollinaris." But to answer your question, I knew more Cubans of all colors than I can remember now. What's your point?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
For some reason Calipoppy and other African Americans can't believe folks can form opinions about African Americans on their own based on interactions with African Americans. Evidently in their view it is the invisible hand of White power manipulates these views of African Americans.
Reps for you.

I love being African. My heart yearns to see the mother land someday. I love the positive side of black culture. But, I have to be honest and say that there is a lot wrong with modern day black American culture. And I did not form those opinions from television, movies or what have you but I formed them from GROWING UP HALF BLACK IN A MOSTLY BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD.

Problem is, when ever anyone, even a person of African descent themselves, tries to point out the ills of black America, so many blacks call "traitor" or "racist" etc. It's like having an alcoholic in the family, and you plan an intervention and the rest of the family screams at you for hating the alcoholic.

If you didn't care about the alcoholic, you wouldn't be doing the intervention.

In short, the deference between African immigrants and black Americans is that Africans don't make excuses for scum while black Americans too often let a certain group of people define who they are. There is a word for those people...a six letter word that starts with an "N" and ends with an "R"

Boondocks - Martin Luther King Speech - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Now that I live in Houston? None.

Funny you bring that up, while there I was friends with a black cuban (he claimed to be part greek but damn he was black) gay records producer. Went by the name "Apollinaris." But to answer your question, I knew more Cubans of all colors than I can remember now. What's your point?
Really. Where did you meet black Cubans, besides that sample of one you mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies