Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
who knows? but without welfare there would be an even lower birth rate
Riiiiight... because, you know, all those third-world countries without social programs are just empty wastelands with low birth rates.

And to the OP, how is this "the left's" fault? Oh yeah, I forgot you guys like to baselessly blame everything on the left! Besides, I don't see anything wrong with teaching children the correct words for their body parts. Why is that a problem for you? My niece and nephew are 5 & 3 respectively, and already know what is what down there. They're also full of questions, but I guess we should just lie and say "those are naughty parts," to make them feel ashamed of their bodies?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Default Sex Education In Kindergarten

I would think learning to read would benefit them more than learning their reproduction parts.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I would think learning to read would benefit them more than learning their reproduction parts.
So they can't do both? I knew how to read by preschool, and also knew what my body parts are called... does that make me special, or perhaps teachers can handle teaching more than one thing in a 9-month school year?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM

977 posts, read 763,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And as has been shown to you repeatedly, intercourse is not going to be taught to 5 year olds.

You can teach that a penis is a penis without teaching about intercourse.
You can teach that a vagina is a vagina without teaching intercourse.
You can teach reproduction without teaching intercourse.
You can teach what inappropriate touching without teaching intercourse.
You cannot teach sex ed without teaching about the act of sexual intercourse.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Yes you can. It's quite simple - here are the body parts, girls have these and boys have these. I learned about that stuff before I learned about sex, and "sex ed" has different criteria for different age groups. Didn't you learn these things at a young age, or did you call them "hoo hoos" and "ding dongs" until you were a teenager?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,378 times
I have to say, I'm just about as liberal as they come and as the mom of a rising kindergartener, I do feel this is a little too early. I feel like teaching this as its own subject will invite additional questions from kids that young, and they may not really be ready to hear the answers yet. My 5 year old has never expressed any interest in the topic. He is aware that girls have different "parts" than he does, but he's never asked why. When he DOES ask, I will have no problem answering openly and honesty, but I feel that at his age, it's better to wait for them to show that curiosity on their own. I FULLY encourage sexual education in schools, but I just don't see what benefits 5/6 year olds will really get from this.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Are you a teacher?
Actually....I already know that the answer to that is no.
So, what makes you an expert?
Because you've had sex?
Nope.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So they can't do both? I knew how to read by preschool, and also knew what my body parts are called... does that make me special, or perhaps teachers can handle teaching more than one thing in a 9-month school year?
Did a teacher have to teach you what your body parts were called? That's a parents job common sense 101, the left is way to interested in children s body parts.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes you can. It's quite simple - here are the body parts, girls have these and boys have these. I learned about that stuff before I learned about sex, and "sex ed" has different criteria for different age groups. Didn't you learn these things at a young age, or did you call them "hoo hoos" and "ding dongs" until you were a teenager?
What makes you think that they dont call body parts by those names now?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Another one who wants 5 yo's to learn about sex.
I want them to learn the proper names for their body parts, and the sex stuff comes later. But even if they did learn about sex at a young age, why is that a bad thing? Are you one of those who thinks learning = doing? We had comprehensive SEX ed in 5th grade, and I most certainly didn't start trying it that young.

Now if you're trying to imply anything sinister about me, I will report you for personal attacks - and if I could, I'd take action personally against you for insinuating such a thing. Is that all you are capable of doing, attacking people for disagreeing with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies