Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess folks aren't allowed to have an opinion.
Not true. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

But expect to get called on it if that opinion encourages (or expresses approval of) second class treatment of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

But expect to get called on it if that opinion encourages (or expresses approval of) second class treatment of people.
This.

People can have their opinions, but they're not immune from critisism.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,342 times
jason collins was and or still is a terrible player.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins:

The floodgates will now be opened. One can only wonder where this will lead. Will this diminish the stature of professional athletes? Will straight children now look to gay men as role models? What happens when players on opposite sides of the ball are married to each other? We have brothers facing each other now, but husbands and "wives"?
I assume this is just a joke or sarcasm????

There will be the exact same number of gay athletes now as there were then. This makes no difference, he just happened to mention it to the public. People aren't going to "turn gay". Kids can't "turn gay" and there will be no more or fewer gays in athletics just cause some random straight people might know they're gay.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, the people that tweet about this are big kids. They can prepare themselves for the firestorm of indignation.

For example, I am a hardcore conservative/libertarian. I "came out" at work which is dominated by liberals. I knew it wouldn't be all unicorns and rainbows for me, but I'm a big girl. I don't force my views on anyone, but if someone strikes up a political conversation with me, I will share my opinions. Has this impacted my career since my boss is a serious lefty? I don't know, but I'm not going to compromise my principles for a boost in my bonus.

Of course, my support of gay marriage really confuses them, because I don't fit into a nice, neat little box!
Well you obviously weren't a big enough "kid" to be vilified by the media if you dare speak your mind. They are and will be.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
if this was lebron james it would be a game changer. this is jason collins though so nobody will care.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
^^This.

It has never been explained why it is so gall darned necessary or important that the public be made aware of ones sexuality.
How is this his fault? All he did is mention it in an interview. It's the news media/magazines that go around printing it and spreading it around as if everyone must want to know.

You can't blame gay people for simply stating a fact (that they're gay) and then get mad that the media blows it up all over. Blame the media. Why should a gay person go out of their way to hide the fact theymay or may not be gay just because ESPN may decide themselves to go screaming about it.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

BS. The PC club is out hoping somebody makes any type of comment they can pounce on. Your post actually proves it.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
That's funny. Most heterosexuals do.

For instance, I wear a ring that my wife put on my finger thirty-seven years ago and has never been off, and it tells the world that I am married.

Whenever I meet someone it's rarely more than about five minutes before I mention my wife, or something my sons or doing, or what my wife and I did on the weekend, or some other way of flaunting my heterosexuality.

The federal government knows I'm heterosexual because I flaunt my heterosexuality every time I file an income tax return. So does the state government, and even my town government, because every time I've bought a piece of real estate I have proclaimed to the world that my wife and I have bought it "as husband and wife".

Even on Facebook if you look me up you'll see my marital status, pictures of me with my wife and our sons, wedding pictures.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we should have a law to prevent me from flaunting my heterosexuality.
You do as you please, I just don't see it as news worthy.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That much is very true. Find me a college graduate who makes what is the league min now $750K?? Aint happening very often.

Now the media is monitoring every tweeter feed or press conference all over the country trying to seek out somebody to say something non PC so they can jump up and down and scream homophobe. Like I mentioned before John Amaechi came "out" and nobody cared much. I guess that was back when liberals were told to support Clinton's DOMA he signed though. Now they are told different and follow along like the useful idiots they are.

As for Kluwe there is no "I" in "team" is still a mainstay. Look at Dwight Howard. He'll be on the move again most likely.
Amaechi came out after his career in the NBA was over. So it hardly mattered at that point. There are several names that have done the same, but I don't know of any active players that professed their sexual preferences openly before this. Amaechi commented at the time that to have done so while playing would have been like an alien dropping into the NBA or some such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies