Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

596 posts, read 730,409 times

Advertisements

For the straight men claiming that you don't announce your sexuality to the world, let me ask you something. Do you ever go out in pubic with your wife/girlfriend? Ever hold her hand, put your arm around her, give her a hug, maybe even a little kiss? Do you ever show any affection to her at all outside the confines of your home, even something as simple as having a romantic night out? Got a picture of your wife and/or kids in your office? Ever speak openly in public about your spouse using the phrase "my wife" without giving it a second thought? If you have done any of these things, then yes you have announced your sexuality to the world. You have done so through your actions. Straight people walk around showing their "straightness" all day everyday. If you can't see that, then I think you really haven't given it any thought at all, or you're just being intentionally obtuse due to your personal views about gay people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Personal views are personal and private. My personal views are mine...The personal life of someone else is their personal life- I don't want to hear about yours when it comes to what you do with your genitals...It's not important...also youth does not need to ask their parents "What is gay?" when they hear about this sort of thing. Is the parent going to describe the mechanics of gay sex? Or are they supposed to say that what gays do is exactly what their parents do...that it is the same when it is not?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Personal views are personal and private. My personal views are mine...The personal life of someone else is their personal life- I don't want to hear about yours when it comes to what you do with your genitals...It's not important...also youth does not need to ask their parents "What is gay?" when they hear about this sort of thing. Is the parent going to describe the mechanics of gay sex? Or are they supposed to say that what gays do is exactly what their parents do...that it is the same when it is not?
My middle child actually did ask me about gay sex. I answered her honestly.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My middle child actually did ask me about gay sex. I answered her honestly.
The horror of your child learning the truth

Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Please address the posts made by gibbsnm and jackmccullough. Also, you seem to be broadcasting various personal views at the moment....

Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
The truth usually works quite well. Maybe you should try it sometimes.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
Quote:
Oleg, I respect a lot of your views, but consider what happens when you DON'T educate your child about what being gay is.

When Matthew Sheppard was attacked, tortured and murdered, I told my son about it. I used it as an example of hatred, similar to racism and that it is wrong. What I didn't know was that my son already knew he was gay when I told him that story. It had a major impact on his decision not to come out at school. Can you imagine? A little boy living in terror of being tortured and murdered?

And maybe his fear was justified. The more parents who think "MAYBE IF WE DON'T TALK ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY TO OUR KIDS, THEY WILL NEVER FIND OUT IT EXISTS", the more parents like me have to watch our kids suffer in silence. Trust me, kids know what it is already. If they don't learn from you, they learn from the haters in the schoolyard. That way, they grow up with the perception that it is something to be whispered, something to be feared, something wrong.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
For the straight men claiming that you don't announce your sexuality to the world, let me ask you something. Do you ever go out in pubic with your wife/girlfriend? Ever hold her hand, put your arm around her, give her a hug, maybe even a little kiss? Do you ever show any affection to her at all outside the confines of your home, even something as simple as having a romantic night out? Got a picture of your wife and/or kids in your office? Ever speak openly in public about your spouse using the phrase "my wife" without giving it a second thought? If you have done any of these things, then yes you have announced your sexuality to the world. You have done so through your actions. Straight people walk around showing their "straightness" all day everyday. If you can't see that, then I think you really haven't given it any thought at all, or you're just being intentionally obtuse due to your personal views about gay people.

Thanks for this well-needed reminder.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The horror of your child learning the truth
There was no horror on anybody's part. She was curious and trusted me to tell her the truth. I call it a win-win. From the very beginning, I have told all of my children that there is no question off-limits.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There was no horror on anybody's part. She was curious and trusted me to tell her the truth. I call it a win-win. From the very beginning, I have told all of my children that there is no question off-limits.
It wasn't serious; I was mocking Oleg's dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies