Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
show me where it says that in the dignity for all students act.

read the law that the class was based on and you'll see why you are dead wrong.
"That the class was based on." That does not mean that the class follows word for word what is written.

The school super, and the leader of the group who did the workshop said that they were practicing saying no to unwanted advances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
The idiocy of the self proclaimed "sexual morality police" in America continues.

Throughout elementary school we had DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), and Anti-Smoking seminars on a fairly regular basis. An officer would come in, and teach us all about drugs and smoking.

Part of the exercises often included students role-playing: Drug dealer/student, or Smoker/Not Smoker.

One kid would pretend to try to get another to smoke, and the other kid had to come up with ways to "just say no."

For example one that I still remember to this day was a strategy to use "humor" --- respond to smoke-offerer by saying, "No thanks, I'm not a chimney, I don't smoke."

So fast forward... geez... 20 years and the same is now being done in the context of avoiding sexual harassment, and the morality ninnies are predictably clutching their pearls.

I actually don't get the problem? Seems to me the social conservatives should be APPLAUDING teaching their kids how to "just say no" to unwanted lesbian advances, no?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
This class will lead to hatred that accorded in NAZI Germany!

Gay-Straight Alliances are the modern day equivalent of the Hitler Youth

all those who oppose them are undesirables and have to be "reeducated".

Your response to any topic appears to be:

Noun, verb, Nazi. Noun, verb, Hitler. Noun, verb, Jew.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The idiocy of the self proclaimed "sexual morality police" in America continues.

Throughout elementary school we had DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), and Anti-Smoking seminars on a fairly regular basis. An officer would come in, and teach us all about drugs and smoking.

Part of the exercises often included students role-playing: Drug dealer/student, or Smoker/Not Smoker.

One kid would pretend to try to get another to smoke, and the other kid had to come up with ways to "just say no."

For example one that I still remember to this day was a strategy to use "humor" --- respond to smoke-offerer by saying, "No thanks, I'm not a chimney, I don't smoke."

So fast forward... geez... 20 years and the same is now being done in the context of avoiding sexual harassment, and the morality ninnies are predictably clutching their pearls.

I actually don't get the problem? Seems to me the social conservatives should be APPLAUDING teaching their kids how to "just say no" to unwanted lesbian advances, no?
You're missing the point. The more children are taught how to fend off unwanted advances from any gender, and to be mindful and respectful of difference that is non-threatening, the more bigoted parents are going to have to answer uncomfortable questions from their children as to why they are so hateful and intolerant, and poorly informed on facts and real dangers.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe you can point out where that ACTUALLY happened. Not some rumor, or hear say.
The links are here.

My position is clear: this was a waste of resources and accomplished nothing.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
"That the class was based on." That does not mean that the class follows word for word what is written.

The school super, and the leader of the group who did the workshop said that they were practicing saying no to unwanted advances.

I read the comments on the OP's article... one of the posters added this to the story which wasn't mentioned in the main article:

The students were split into groups by gender and then taught to refuse the request for a kiss. NO one kissed, they just asked for the kiss and refused it. That was the lesson.

So really the fact that it was "same sex kiss" was just because they split the groups into boys and girls.... which makes the outrage even MORE ridiculous!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The links are here.

My position is clear: this was a waste of resources and accomplished nothing.

How do you know it accomplished nothing?

Everything I know about STDs, etc. came from sexual education CLASS in middle school. Not my parents. Frankly, I'm glad the schools take the lead on this issue because if City-Data is any indication of the type of people out there raising America's children, kids are going to get a whole helluva lot of misinformation and religious propaganda from their parents.

Those kids then go out into the real world as social misfits who have problems relating and functioning in the real world, making life miserable for everyone around them.

Schools and teachers often see the world as it IS from a cross section of students. Parents live in la la land where they believe the world does or should operate the way they *want* it to, not the way it does in a place called REALITY.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I read the comments on the OP's article... one of the posters added this to the story which wasn't mentioned in the main article:

The students were split into groups by gender and then taught to refuse the request for a kiss. NO one kissed, they just asked for the kiss and refused it. That was the lesson.

So really the fact that it was "same sex kiss" was just because they split the groups into boys and girls.... which makes the outrage even MORE ridiculous!!!
Exactly!

How have some of these people made it into adulthood with the logic and reasoning they use?

Common sense says that if they were separated by gender, there would ONLY be the same gender to practice with.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Everything I know about STDs, etc. came from sexual education CLASS in middle school. Not my parents. Frankly, I'm glad the schools take the lead on this issue because if City-Data is any indication of the type of people out there raising America's children, kids are going to get a whole helluva lot of misinformation and religious propaganda from their parents.

Those kids then go out into the real world as social misfits who have problems relating and functioning in the real world, making life miserable for everyone around them.

Schools and teachers often see the world as it IS from a cross section of students. Parents live in la la land where they believe the world does or should operate the way they *want* it to, not the way it does in a place called REALITY.
I know. Sex ed from my mom, was basically sex is dirty, bad, and evil. Don't do it.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:

Because this wasn't a formal sex education class. Those classes clearly add value.

This was teachers and administration trying to be hip and cool. The school board is already retreating as more info hits the press.

There was no approved or reviewed curriculum. Having college students was a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies