Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
To be fair, I wouldn't live in any of those locations either. I used to say if I had to leave northeast Ohio and relocate to another cold weather city, I'd pick Chicago, or New York. Now...no way in Hell!!!! So if I'm staying in a cold weather place, I'll stay where I'm at. Burdell alluded to climate as a big reason why people move south. Yes that does factor in, and believe me I've lived in the Cleveland area my whole life and I hate the damn cold! In fact I'm loving this 90 degree weather right now, as it beats the alternative. Still, if weather were the determining factor as to where I ended up, I would have moved to Florida years ago when I was young. But, it's not. And...well.... home is home. Plus summers are beautiful here.
Oh, I love Chicago, great city! I actually considered taking a job there one time until I was speaking to someone in February and learned the HIGH for the day was eleven BELOW I just couldn't do that to myself.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
focus on cities going down the same reckless path and change their behavior. NOW, and change it 180 degrees.

But we should concede that for Detroit, it is simply too late.
We haven't declared it "simply too late" for Baghdad or Kabul after so many years so why should we give up on our own? But I agree with you we should focus on cities going down the same reckless path, American cities.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Who is "we"? If the residents and taxpayers to these cities want to devise and implement a plan to get themselves out of trouble, they should have at it. If by "we" you mean every taxpayer in the US, then no thanks.
If every taxpayer in the US wasn't burdened with policing the world, caring for our own places in need would be small potatoe$.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oh, I love Chicago, great city! I actually considered taking a job there one time until I was speaking to someone in February and learned the HIGH for the day was eleven BELOW I just couldn't do that to myself.

I didn't say Chicago wasn't a great city. But it's expensive as hell. Chicago gets less snow than here, but does tend to be colder in the winter.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Default Instead of Saving Detroit, we should

allow the city of Detroit and the state of Michigan to apply their own solutions.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We haven't declared it "simply too late" for Baghdad or Kabul after so many years so why should we give up on our own? But I agree with you we should focus on cities going down the same reckless path, American cities.
The American workers of Arizona,Kansas, Iowa, Maine, etc. shouldn't have their confiscated earnings spent in Baghdad or Detroit. There is no justification for any of it.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
And you propose to do what, exactly, with the 715,000 people still living within city limits?
Build a wall around downtown and pass out guns. Kind of like the Alamo.

Detroit Police already take 58 minutes to respond to a call.

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Detroit Michigan is prime 'tater country. Bulldoze those abandoned homes buildings and rip up those parking lots and streets and have fields for growing spuds. Or grow corn or raise dairy or livestock herds. Or plant orchards.
Detroit has to reinvent itself so let it go green and give anybody willing to move their a free acre of land, or a tax break if they want to buy a farm. Hippy communes, people living off the grid, doomsday preppers, that sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The American workers of Arizona,Kansas, Iowa, Maine, etc. shouldn't have their confiscated earnings spent in Baghdad or Detroit. There is no justification for any of it.
I'd say a case can be made that "promote the general welfare" justifies aiding Detroit, Baghdad not so much.

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As always, facts are like Kryptonite to lefties.
I could say the same to you, who ignores facts in favor of pre-set ideology.

The fact is that the Detroit had one major industry, the U.S. auto industry. Fact: they faced major competition in the 1970s onward, from Japan. Fact: that decreased sales and GM, Ford, et al, responded by closing plants. Fact: they also moved plants to cheaper labor areas, including Mexico and Asia. Fact: as such, plants closed in Detroit and people fled, leaving the previous debts behind.

We know you are ideologically driven to blame it all on liberal policies but that's a false narrative. When oil fell to record low levels in the 1990s, Texas had a high unemployment problem that had nothing to do with government policies. Now that oil is over $100/bbl., oil pumping is driving the Texas economy and it isn't because of conservative Rick Perry. San Francisco is doing just fine, with a 5.4% UE level, while they are the most liberal city in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.