Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Does it have money to pay Police and Fire? Does it pay the City Council? Then yes it has money to pay its retirees.

And by the Constitution of Michigan the retirees get paid first.

Have you not been able to follow this discussion?

This discussion seems reversed. Those who normally call for accountability and responsibility are suggesting that one should get out from under if you don't have the money easily available.

Is this a new policy or only true for the retirees and the black and poor.
Lol. You just proved my point. Fine, pay the pensioners first. There will be no money for fire and police. Then the result will be no tax revenue to speak of after that, and the retires end up getting 0% forever onward.

Seems like you think it's smarter for the pensioners to get 0% rather than some lowered percent.

Doh! How fricken retarded.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Lol. You just proved my point. Fine, pay the pensioners first. There will be no money for fire and police. Then the result will be no tax revenue to speak of after that, and the retires end up getting 0% forever onward.

Seems like you think it's smarter for the pensioners to get 0% rather than some lowered percent.

, Motown can become just like that Alabama town where gov't retirees held taxpayers hostage until ..ooops..pension ran dry.oops no more pension checks.

Same vultures in Bama as Motown.

The attitude you responded to is a microcosm of why Motown is bankrupt and dying, and why it deserves to be bankrupt and dying.

I am delighted Congress would never allow funds to go to save it. It deserves no help and no sympathy.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:

And you are unbelievably naive.

Michigan and the surrounding suburbs require that Detroit function. So they know if they have to pay the retirees they will - to keep Detroit functioning. And that requires police, fire and essential services.

The issue is that Michigan and the suburbs want to pay only for minimal police fire and other.

But the Constitution requires they pay retirees first.

However you are most likely too dim to understand.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,084 times
Quote:
However you are most likely too dim to understand.
I think you're the one who has earned that distinction.

Anyone who thinks money can be conjured out of thin air isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I think you're the one who has earned that distinction.

Anyone who thinks money can be conjured out of thin air isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.
And you would have to be really dim not to know that Bernanke does it every month

And you also fail to understand that it is not a question of how much...but who pays it. And it will be real money. .

Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
And you would have to be really dim not to know that Bernanke does it every month

And you also fail to understand that it is not a question of how much...but who pays it. And it will be real money. .
DC no longer has the votes to bail out the cesspool of Detroit.

Thank God.

Now if Michigan tries, it will become the first state to declare bankruptcy-quite a feat considering Illinois' head start.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i have my doubts if there is a big hole in the bottom of the boat do u pour in more water to plug it?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have my doubts if there is a big hole in the bottom of the boat do u pour in more water to plug it?
So your solution is throw the old folks overboard to lighten the ship?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
DC no longer has the votes to bail out the cesspool of Detroit.

Thank God.

Now if Michigan tries, it will become the first state to declare bankruptcy-quite a feat considering Illinois' head start.
Why bring up irrelevant stalking horses? The US should bail out a Michigan if it is the right thing to do.

But in this case Michigan is throwing the old and infirm overboard to avoid having to deal with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies