Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

There are some things in life that have very long odds, many things boil down to the risk vs benefit. This is not too distant from the argument to spend a few more billion on overseas embassies, some things are extremely random and just unpreventable. Seat belts, smoke detectors make a lot of sense but putting shelters in every home on the great plains and the deep south is extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint
Why? There may be dozens of school children dead. We could put unemployed Americans to work building these shelters. Why is saving the lives of Americans a "poor use" of taxpayer money?

With global warming extreme weather events are only going to increase in frequency and severity. We already know this. Time to get prepared
But...but..Sarah Palin denies global warming and she's like, really smart!

Sarah Palin: It Snowed In Alaska In May, So There Is No Global Warming

Global warming isn't happening, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) argued over the weekend, pointing to the fact that it was snowing in Alaska in May.
"Global warming my gluteus maximus," she wrote in a post on her Facebook page, adding a small dose of politics to a picture of her youngest daughter Piper in the snow after graduation. "This is what 'Grad Blast' means in Alaska! We'll move our graduation b-b-q indoors and watch the mini-blizzard from 'round the fireplace."
Palin has been a reliable denier of climate science in the past. She's referred to studies supporting climate change models as "snake oil," and as a vice presidential candidate in 2008, she argued that humans haven't influenced changes in climate.
In her Facebook argument, Palin confuses weather with climate, a mistake frequently made by climate change deniers. Palin has made this blunder in the past, suggesting that local atmospheric conditions over short periods of time and small areas have bearing on larger trends averaged over long time periods and greater areas.

Sarah Palin: It Snowed In Alaska In May, So There Is No Global Warming

Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It will and then some when the government builds it
Exactly, I have this "bunker" in the basement that was built under a concrete slab that goes out under the front patio. Ir was put there becsue it houses the well pump. Short of nuclear blast it would be more than adequate for a shelter but you can guarantee it isn't going to meet any government specs.

Furthermore If I was going to build one I'd just do it myself but again you can gurantee the cost is going to rise significantly for the inspection etc....

Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Trillions of dollars spent bailing out the robber banks. Trillions of dollars spent in useless wars.

But America can't build a storm shelter underneath a friggin' grade school located in an area that has had three tornados in the last 15 years. What is wrong with this stupid country and its priorities?

You forgot the billion day for Israel and other country welfare nation building programs.

My question is why do you need government to help you dig a 6ft hole in back yard.
It also has multiple purpose too.

I always wonder if there millions of people where do they all go there isnt that many grave yards.
Thats another topic

Why people live in tornado alley is beyond me . Same thing with hurricanes if it gets knock down you get out and do not to go back. Unless you build an underground city.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
With global warming extreme weather events are only going to increase in frequency and severity. We already know this. Time to get prepared.
I was waiting for this and I almost missed it. This years tornado season has been well below average. I believe the number I heard quoted was 22% the average before these past few weeks. How does that fit into your theory?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
My question is why do you need government to help you dig a 6ft hole in back yard..

Exactly, If I want to build a shelter for a few thousand bucks it's a done deal. It isn;t going to be a few thousand bucks if the government gets involved.

Quote:
Why people live in tornado alley is beyond me .
Probably for the same reasons they live in flood zones, those communities, infrastructure, buildings and whatever else were built there for practical reasons in some cases centuries ago.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You forgot the billion day for Israel and other country welfare nation building programs.

My question is why do you need government to help you dig a 6ft hole in back yard.
It also has multiple purpose too.

I always wonder if there millions of people where do they all go there isnt that many grave yards.
Thats another topic

Why people live in tornado alley is beyond me . Same thing with hurricanes if it gets knock down you get out and do not to go back. Unless you build an underground city.
The ground in Oklahoma is rock, so it needs to be dynamited. You can't just dig a hole.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was waiting for this and I almost missed it. This years tornado season has been well below average. I believe the number I heard quoted was 22% the average before these past few weeks. How does that fit into your theory?
Not any more.

"The annual number of billion-dollar disasters in the United States – earthquakes, floods, fires, hurricanes and more – has tripled since the 1980s, from two to about six per year. And 2011 was a barn-burner, with 14 separate $1 billion-plus weather events."

Global warming causes more extreme weather events: it's already happening. Denying it doesn't get us anywhere. Prepare, and then go ahead an deny it if you want to be so stupid.

Fact: Annual $1 billion-plus natural disasters have tripled since 1980, from 2 to about 6. | Face the Facts USA

Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Not any more.

"The annual number of billion-dollar disasters in the United States – earthquakes, floods, fires, hurricanes and more – has tripled since the 1980s, from two to about six per year. And 2011 was a barn-burner, with 14 separate $1 billion-plus weather events."

Global warming causes more extreme weather events: it's already happening. Denying it doesn't get us anywhere. Prepare, and then go ahead an deny it if you want to be so stupid.

Fact: Annual $1 billion-plus natural disasters have tripled since 1980, from 2 to about 6. | Face the Facts USA
And the question is...what is private insurance for?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Federal government through the housing authorities, are getting a law together, to mandate all new homes have a storm shelter built and all existing homes have one before sale or in 3 years or face a stiff penalty.
Spouting all the building will stimulate the economy.
Arkansas offers a tax incentive for people who do this. The "government" could do that. But they're too busy feeding welfare mamas.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies