Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The ground in Oklahoma is rock, so it needs to be dynamited. You can't just dig a hole.

Im listening - watching KFOR and the only they just stated only things that is enact is shelters

When there a tragedy I try to watch a local live stream and here is the site with local reporting.

Live Streaming on KFOR.com | KFOR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Only example of this I could find, was a bill a couple of years ago in the Senate.

Couldn't find anything current.

Link/reference?

BTW, was this storm-shelter mandate supposed to include the 20,000,000 or so people in Southern California, who historically have more chance of getting hit by lightning than getting hit by a tornado?

What parts of their household budgets are they supposed to reduce or give up, to build these oh-so-needed storm shelters?

This is a question they can never answer.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Federal government through the housing authorities, are getting a law together, to mandate all new homes have a storm shelter built and all existing homes have one before sale or in 3 years or face a stiff penalty.
Spouting all the building will stimulate the economy.
I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell I can install a storm shelter in my existing home???? Would I put the shelter in my living room?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell I can install a storm shelter in my existing home???? Would I put the shelter in my living room?
Garage. Bust the concrete. Just saw one on the news. It saved a family.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
So they can't ban tornadoes now will force everyone to put in some sort of government mandated shelter. If you can't afford it don't worry somebody else will be forced to pay for it unless your in the tea party. Remember they can force us to purchase things now.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So they can't ban tornadoes now will force everyone to put in some sort of government mandated shelter. If you can't afford it don't worry somebody else will be forced to pay for it unless your in the tea party. Remember they can force us to purchase things now.
As someone already said, there could be community shelters. They don't have to be individually owned. If I lived in a tornado alley I would certainly support such a measure.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
You pay for it then. That is all I ask. Will transportation have to be supplied to the shelters? I mean people are obviously not capable of fending for themselves according to dear government.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You and your tax burden. Is there nothing more important to you? Not even the lives of children? Public spending ADDS to economic growth. Workers get paid and then they spend their money on housing and consumer goods which has a multiplier effect. Limiting government spending during a recession or a recovery has the opposite effect ---it contracts the economy and impedes growth. You obviously don't understand basic macroeconomics.
YOU don't understand economics in the real world. You need to read highly respected PhD economist and public policy expert Thomas Sowell, starting with "The Fallacy of Redistribution" (Thomas Sowell: The Fallacy of Redistribution) in which he notes: "The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty." Then read: "The Economic ‘Stimulus’" (Thomas Sowell) which explains why so-called stimulus spending didn't help our economy. Finally read "Gross Misconceptions" (Thomas Sowell: Gross Misconceptions) because you definitely have them.

You forget that American workers PAY those taxes to Washington in the first place and since they are discretionary income, would have used them to stimulate the economy by buying new products and services (not just basic living expenses). But once in government's hands, let's look at where that money actually goes, from the breakdown of the federal budget (Error — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Defense: the part that goes to foreign aid is 100% lost to our economy. The part that pays all our government and military stationed overseas is about 90% lost to our economy. Money spent on the Military Industrial Complex: about 50% lost to our economy when the ultra-rich controlling those companies send their profits overseas to protect it from dollar devaluation. Social Security to the richest generation in history: they already have everything they need and soon get too old for much beyond living expenses. Medicare/Medicaid: mostly paid to doctors who are already wealthy and won't spend it. Safety net programs: spent on basic living expenses.

And of course interest on the debt, 1/2 going to other nations and 100% lost to our economy; 1/2 "bought" by the Fed using dollar devaluation--which robs every American of the buying value of the dollars they earn and save.

The part of the federal budget that goes to federal workers here in America doesn't really help our economy, since if they were engaged in productive labor they would actually create value that benefits both them and their employer.

And the current working class tax burden is RIDICULOUS--the average American works until April 18th just to pay for government (Tax Freedom Day® 2013 is April 18, Five Days Later Than Last Year | Tax Foundation). According to you, with the incredible level of government spending and borrowing we have today, we should have incredible prosperity. It's not a coincidence that as government grows, the economy becomes less prosperous, and everybody (except government workers and the ultra-rich) loses.

As to infinite spending being justified to save just one child's life, you're living in la-la land. I suppose you work 80 hours a week, live on dog food in a cardbox box on the street, and send all your earnings to Africa to save the lives of all those precious starving children?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
YOU don't understand economics in the real world. You need to read highly respected PhD economist and public policy expert Thomas Sowell, starting with "The Fallacy of Redistribution" (Thomas Sowell: The Fallacy of Redistribution) in which he notes: "The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty." Then read: "The Economic ‘Stimulus’" (Thomas Sowell) which explains why so-called stimulus spending didn't help our economy. Finally read "Gross Misconceptions" (Thomas Sowell: Gross Misconceptions) because you definitely have them.

You forget that American workers PAY those taxes to Washington in the first place and since they are discretionary income, would have used them to stimulate the economy by buying new products and services (not just basic living expenses). But once in government's hands, let's look at where that money actually goes, from the breakdown of the federal budget (Error — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Defense: the part that goes to foreign aid is 100% lost to our economy. The part that pays all our government and military stationed overseas is about 90% lost to our economy. Money spent on the Military Industrial Complex: about 50% lost to our economy when the ultra-rich controlling those companies send their profits overseas to protect it from dollar devaluation. Social Security to the richest generation in history: they already have everything they need and soon get too old for much beyond living expenses. Medicare/Medicaid: mostly paid to doctors who are already wealthy and won't spend it. Safety net programs: spent on basic living expenses.

And of course interest on the debt, 1/2 going to other nations and 100% lost to our economy; 1/2 "bought" by the Fed using dollar devaluation--which robs every American of the buying value of the dollars they earn and save.

The part of the federal budget that goes to federal workers here in America doesn't really help our economy, since if they were engaged in productive labor they would actually create value that benefits both them and their employer.

And the current working class tax burden is RIDICULOUS--the average American works until April 18th just to pay for government (Tax Freedom Day® 2013 is April 18, Five Days Later Than Last Year | Tax Foundation). According to you, with the incredible level of government spending and borrowing we have today, we should have incredible prosperity. It's not a coincidence that as government grows, the economy becomes less prosperous, and everybody (except government workers and the ultra-rich) loses.

As to infinite spending being justified to save just one child's life, you're living in la-la land. I suppose you work 80 hours a week, live on dog food in a cardbox box on the street, and send all your earnings to Africa to save the lives of all those precious starving children?
"Infinite" spending is not necessary. This country has enough money to build some storm shelters for Pete's sake. It's just a hole in the ground that needs to be suitable enough for less than an hour of shelter.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
A stupid law that mandates anything drives the cost of the mandated item through the roof. Everyone would be far better off if the government only worried about the specific items it is constitutionally mandated and limited to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies