Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
This kid showed class and told his haters..."I'm living the American Dream".
If he's so American, why the mariachci outfit? How many American kids dress in the traditional garb of foreign nations? How many American children with German ancestry run around in Alps mountain costumes when singing the national anthem? Or how many American children with a Scottish ancestor need to wear kilts if they sing the American national anthem? Normal American kids don't have a need to do dress up like inhabitants of foreign nations.

I doubt anyone cares about the race of this kid who most likely checks off the "white" box on race questions. It boils down to the costume of another nation he parades around in --- and the agenda behind that. Even back home in Mexico, most kids aren't dressing up in mariachi clothes.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If he's so American, why the mariachci outfit? How many American kids dress in the traditional garb of foreign nations? How many American children with German ancestry run around in Alps mountain costumes when singing the national anthem? Or how many American children with a Scottish ancestor need to wear kilts if they sing the American national anthem? Normal American kids don't have a need to do dress up like inhabitants of foreign nations.

I doubt anyone cares about the race of this kid who most likely checks off the "white" box on race questions. It boils down to the costume of another nation he parades around in --- and the agenda behind that. Even back home in Mexico, most kids aren't dressing up in mariachi clothes.
I guess you are not aware of the US Air Force Reserve and their kilt wearing bagpipe band. Or the use of kilts and bagpipes at funerals for law enforcement officers. Do you not consider them real Americans either?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM

164 posts, read 197,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
When I read this today I just shook my head.

San Antonio's own mariachi attacked in racist tweets - San Antonio Express-News

What is wrong with some people?

Ahh, some of us probably didn't enjoy the spoils of a two parent household. Something resonates with me about the this...oh yes I remember...

'Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.'

or in this case.

'palos y piedras pueden romper mis huesos, pero las palabras no pueden hacerme daño'

ROFL @ people getting upset at what a random stranger says about a random kid. You people are hilarious.

The only reason people are upset is because he was a minority, plain and simple.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
Ahh, some of us probably didn't enjoy the spoils of a two parent household. Something resonates with me about the this...oh yes I remember...

or in this case.

'palos y piedras pueden romper mis huesos, pero las palabras no pueden hacerme daño'

ROFL @ people getting upset at what a random stranger says about a random kid. You people are hilarious.

The only reason people are upset is because he was a minority, plain and simple.
I defend the KKK's right to say whatever they wish...I always have and always will.

I could care less about the Tweets...I care this kid showed class and power by flicking it off his shoulders...Racist can hate, but it took a kid to out class them. Minority or not.

This kid don't need my help in defending him. I couldn't give him any better tools that were learned from his mother and father. period.

America is not a great Nation because it allows racists idiots a voice, it is that despite that racist voice, others will rally to the defensible.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:

He's coming out with an album, he's basically promoting his musical style. His mother said that at first the controversy worried her, but thinking about it more clearly this would likely help his career by helping him gain more exposure.

He could be like Selena, she didn't know Spanish either even though she sang in Spanish and this kid also does not speak Spanish.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post

or in this case.

Yeah folks are taking these things a little too seriously.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
I defend the KKK's right to say whatever they wish...I always have and always will.

I could care less about the Tweets...I care this kid showed class and power by flicking it off his shoulders...Racist can hate, but it took a kid to out class them. Minority or not.

This kid don't need my help in defending him. I couldn't give him any better tools that were learned from his mother and father. period.

America is not a great Nation because it allows racists idiots a voice, it is that despite that racist voice, others will rally to the defensible.
Yawn America is great nation because it ruthlessly exploited it's resources. Racism was a big part of that exploitation. Folks waxing poetic about race in this country amuse me. Did you really need twitter to show you some folks don't like others because of their race?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times
Quote:
If he's so American, why the mariachci outfit?
1) A mariachi outfit is not implicitly anti-American, or pro-Mexican. It is actually a part of Mariachi, a form of music that originated in Mexico but is actually quite popular in America as well (dating back to the 1930s). So in reality, it is just as much a part of American culture as it is Mexican culture.

2) Just because you leave a country doesn't mean you abandon everything about that country culturally. If I get relocated to Hong Kong for work, and I am a country music fan, am I expected to stop listening to country music in Hong Kong because it is not part of that China's original culture? Am I supposed to stop speaking English? Am I expected to stop liking American food?

I find people who are so wrapped up in symbols are being rather simple-minded about this. It smacks of a lack of education (and rather low-class), honestly.

Remember: the only constant in the world is change...nothing stays the same, given enough time. You can't expect America to be the country it was in 1950.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM

442 posts, read 800,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
If I get relocated to Hong Kong for work, and I am a country music fan, am I expected to stop listening to country music in Hong Kong because it is not part of that China's original culture?
Maybe just refrain from singing their anthem while wearing a cowboy hat and boots.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Living the American Dream...
What part of no one has the right to the American Dream unless they come here legally, aren't you getting? It's not bigoted or racist for an ethnic group to put their ethnic group above our immigration laws and want them rewarded for breaking them all the while calling those of who object to their own racism on this issue, a"racist"? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies