Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
When singing the National Anthem one must be properly dressed, and must be dressed neutral. The anthem is sacred. If one is dressed in Mariachi outfit, I feel they are making fun of the United States.
Well, the Three Men in Kilts have been doing what they do for quite some time, yet I haven't heard of any backlash towards them. I guess maybe if they did something on a national stage such as the NBA finals, maybe. However, given the racial climate amongst Mexican immigrants and indigenous Americans, I couldn't imagine there being much comparable backlash if it was a Irish guy in a kilt singing the anthem.

Likewise, I've witnessed the Star Spangled Banner played on bagpipes at a high school wrestling match, and the guy was dressed in full Scottish garb. However, no backlash. No one ever thought twice about it. Yet, a young Mexican kid decides to sing the national anthem in a traditional Mexican outfit and spawns a flurry of racial comments and tweets. Go figure .

Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Well, the Three Men in Kilts have been doing what they do for quite some time, yet I haven't heard of any backlash towards them. I guess maybe if they did something on a national stage such as the NBA finals, maybe. However, given the racial climate amongst Mexican immigrants and indigenous Americans, I couldn't imagine there being much comparable backlash if it was a Irish guy in a kilt singing the anthem.

Likewise, I've witnessed the Star Spangled Banner played on bagpipes at a high school wrestling match, and the guy was dressed in full Scottish garb. However, no backlash. No one ever thought twice about it. Yet, a young Mexican kid decides to sing the national anthem in a traditional Mexican outfit and spawns a flurry of racial comments and tweets. Go figure .
Yup, despite the constant claims that the uproar about illegal immigration is about the "law" - this whole episode has clearly shown that - at least for a sizable portion of folks - it's NOT about the "law" at all, but about dislike for Hispanics in general - not a surprise at all.

Ken

Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,027,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
He wore it because he ALWAYS wears such clothing when he sings - and in fact, he's KNOWN for being a Mariachi singer and dresses accordingly. That IS his profession - he is a Mariachi singer. He's NOT making a "political statement", it's JUST the style of singing he does. It's what he's known for and he dresses for the style of singing he does. It's like a country singer dressing like a cowboy. That's it.

Ken
Beautifully stated. Also, his father has served in the Navy. He is an American who is born and raised in San Antonio. He sang the anthem perfectly and didn't forget or sing the wrong words. Anyone who complains about this child really needs to get a life.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
It's San Antonio. Their Mexican-American history runs deep. In California when they celebrate "Old California" with early 19th century Mexican costumes and dances, it's not un-American at all.

There's a lot of bleedover at the borders. Just like you'll see cowboys roaming the ranges of Alberta (American settlers learned much about cattle ranching from the vaqueros, btw), Mexican culture has been going on in what are now California and Texas since the 18th century.

I do not see any discrepancy. I can understand how someone from well outside the Southwest would.
Great points.
I think that is can be very hard to understand how enmeshed the two countries are unless one has spent any length of time in that area.

Yes, they are different countries, but, the separation is no greater than going from Manhattan to New Jersey and it has been that way for hundreds of years.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Actually it wasn't perfectly reasonable. San Antonio may be a majority Hispanic city (which could be a whole 'nother topic of conversation) but this boy was singing the American national anthem.

He sang the song beautifully and respectfully (and thankfully in English) and I won't fault a little boy for any questionable actons. But he wore the clothing he did for a reason. I have to make the assumption (because he is a little boy) that it was adults who decided what he should wear to sing the national anthem on a national stage. It was done for a reason. It didn't just happen. The speculation of course, is what was the reason.
How about he wore it because it is his favorite outfit?
Or maybe because it is his dressiest outfit?

Or maybe because as you yourself noted, San Antonio is a majority Hispanic (read Mexican) city in the UNITED STATES and it is perfectly acceptable to showcase that fact as he so beautifully did.

Where is it written that "American" has to equal bland, nondescript and/or non-ethnic?

I cannot help wondering if it makes people uncomfortable because they simply do not want to accept that these, too, ARE American citizens. And many have been for a very long time.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I cannot help wondering if it makes people uncomfortable because they simply do not want to accept that these, too, ARE American citizens. And many have been for a very long time.
BINGO!!!!!

Ken

Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well when singing the National Anthem it is. The National Anthem is sacred, and dressing like that for the Anthem is disrespectful. I'm sure others feel the same.
What is appropriate attire to sing the national anthem? Cowboy gear? Pilgrim hats? An Armani suit? A baseball uniform?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What is appropriate attire to sing the national anthem? Cowboy gear? Pilgrim hats? An Armani suit? A baseball uniform?

Personally I don't care WHAT people wear - as long as they MEAN WHAT THEY SING - and there's not a single hater on this board that has produced one shred of evidence that the kid didn't MEAN WHAT HE SANG.

Ken

Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Personally I don't care WHAT people wear - as long as they MEAN WHAT THEY SING - and there's not a single hater on this board that has produced one shred of evidence that the kid didn't MEAN WHAT HE SANG.

Ken
Correct.
What if he was poor and wore his best clothes, but they were too small and ragged? The kid did a great job singing the anthem.
I am more offended when superstars insist on putting their own twist to the song.
I have seen it butchered all kinds of a twist, I have seen it destroyed by someone yodeling through it. Why not all the outrage over these practices? It's not like the little guy did a Rosie on it.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Correct.
What if he was poor and wore his best clothes, but they were too small and ragged? The kid did a great job singing the anthem.
I am more offended when superstars insist on putting their own twist to the song.
I have seen it butchered all kinds of a twist, I have seen it destroyed by someone yodeling through it. Why not all the outrage over these practices? It's not like the little guy did a Rosie on it.
Yup. I've heard some really AWFUL versions of the song by superstar singers.
The kid did good, why people can't just leave at that without bringing their own person hatreds into it is beyond me - especially as it does nothing but make those haters look BAD.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies