Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't agree with the racist comments but I also think it was in bad taste to wear a mariachi outfit. We are an Anglo nation, not a Hispanic nation - and it's long past time that these Mexicans, Guatemalans, Dominicans, and Salvadorans adapt to this reality.

Even in Puerto Rico the Star Spangled Banner is always sung in English with the appropriate tone and dress. It is not sung by a Reggeton band wearing Jibaro hats.
Um...Texas has never been a purely Anglo place. It used to be a Mexican province, you know. So of course there's going to be some Anglo-Mexican cultural exchange going on. I'm sure some of the more intelligent people of Texas are aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If he's so American, why the mariachci outfit? How many American kids dress in the traditional garb of foreign nations? How many American children with German ancestry run around in Alps mountain costumes when singing the national anthem? Or how many American children with a Scottish ancestor need to wear kilts if they sing the American national anthem? Normal American kids don't have a need to do dress up like inhabitants of foreign nations.

I doubt anyone cares about the race of this kid who most likely checks off the "white" box on race questions. It boils down to the costume of another nation he parades around in --- and the agenda behind that. Even back home in Mexico, most kids aren't dressing up in mariachi clothes.
But I'll bet if a German or Scottish kid wore their country's folk costumes for whatever reason, you wouldn't pitch such a fit, would you? Of course you wouldn't.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Maybe just refrain from singing their anthem while wearing a cowboy hat and boots.
Are you kidding? The Chinese would get a kick out of that--it'd fall in line with their broadest American stereotypes...

Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As for the young man in question, being Mexican/Hispanic/Latino is one thing, wearing a "traditionally Mexican" Mariachi outfit is another.
It's San Antonio though... The local tourist board promotes the image of mariachis strolling the tourist centerpiece of the downtown Riverwalk... They have a high school mariachi band festival--it's as much a part of the local culture as having jazz music or Cajuns in New Orleans(and yes I know Cajuns are from the area west of New Orleans)...

Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I defend the KKK's right to say whatever they wish...I always have and always will.

I could care less about the Tweets...I care this kid showed class and power by flicking it off his shoulders...Racist can hate, but it took a kid to out class them. Minority or not.

This kid don't need my help in defending him. I couldn't give him any better tools that were learned from his mother and father. period.

America is not a great Nation because it allows racists idiots a voice, it is that despite that racist voice, others will rally to the defensible.
Just as I said in my prior post. The race card pulling has hit a new high in this forum today. What's classy about wearing a traditional dress of a foreign country while singing OUR national anthem? Now where is the racism in that statement. What race????????????

Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You forgot to put the word "illegal" in front of the word Mexicans. How convenient for you.
It's already been established that this kid isn't illegal - so why are people (mostly conservatives here) getting their panties in a twist? The word "illegal" doesn't even apply here, nor does it explain the faux rage over this sweet kid singing our anthem.

Btw, isn't this the same kid from "America's Got Talent?" If so, he is awesome! And as somebody else said above, he is merely wearing the costume of his band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies