Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
And what exactly is the quintessential American dress?

A man's suit designed in Europe, made in China, and shipped via a Greek or Korean-registered cargo carrier?
I can tell you what it's not and that is a mariachi suit.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why dwell on the minority then? As for racism just how racist is it to put one's ethnic group above our immigration laws and expect them to be rewarded for breaking them and then call anyone who objects to that a "racist"? Hypocricy, much? I find the ones screaming racism the most are the true racists themselves.

Nope. Wrong again. In fact, I refuse to associate with people who have bigoted views. I have ended friendships over it.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That may be the case in the border states (never been down there), but I can tell you up here in the midwest that the vast majority people who complain about illegals use "illegals" and "Mexicans" interchangeably. It's pretty clear to me that there are a lot of people who use the problem of illegal immigration as a front for their own hatred of hispanics. Definitely not all, but a large portion.

Has it ever occurred to you that that hatred just might stem from so many Hispanic citizens thinking their ethnic group is above our immigration laws and calls anyone else a racist that doesn't agree with them? Naw, I thought not. Just throw out the race card and hope it sticks.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't even think this kid has that much pride in his heritage; I saw him on the news yesterday and was shocked to learn he doesn't even speak Spanish.
Why did that shock you?

Very few American children speak more than one language - English. Doesn't matter what their heritage.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Repeating which of course you didn't address - " I think the ire about Mexicans is that there are so many here illegally. Therefore anything deemed as pushing the Mexican agenda is seen as anti-American".
No. You are the one refusing to address the topic at hand, which is this one child, who IS an American citizen as are his parents.
You want to tar every single person of Mexican heritage with the same brush because you cannot see past your obsessive need to spew about illegal immigration in every. single. thread.

In any event, the kid sang again last night to rousing applause.

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/14/11_y..._nba_crowd_ap/

Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
When I read this today I just shook my head.

San Antonio's own mariachi attacked in racist tweets - San Antonio Express-News

What is wrong with some people?
This young MAN showed the haters what a class act he is. I'm proud of him.

It's sad that some people have to stoop this low to display how dumb they really are.

I wish Sebastian future success.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I don't agree with the racist comments but I also think it was in bad taste to wear a mariachi outfit. We are an Anglo nation, not a Hispanic nation - and it's long past time that these Mexicans, Guatemalans, Dominicans, and Salvadorans adapt to this reality.

Even in Puerto Rico the Star Spangled Banner is always sung in English with the appropriate tone and dress. It is not sung by a Reggeton band wearing Jibaro hats.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Again, the objection is to illegal Mexicans and anyone else here illegally. It is also objectionable for Hispanic citizens to defend them just because they share a like ethnicity.
As a Hispanic, I agree with you. I hope that non-Hispanics won't assume that all Hispanics defend illegals or are in favor of immigration reform. I find the term "Latino vote" offensive because it implies that all Hispanics vote the same way on all the issues, which is not the case AT ALL. I don't support illegal immigration or immigration reform.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
The way that boy looks and dresses is just as much American (and every bit of our Texan heritage) as those who look like George Washington (and dresses like him) or Abraham Lincoln. Grant you - more of a SouthWest American - but AMERICAN regardless. Kudos to that young man for being a REAL AMERICAN and living/performing without fear of his detractors.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that that hatred just might stem from so many Hispanic citizens thinking their ethnic group is above our immigration laws and calls anyone else a racist that doesn't agree with them? Naw, I thought not. Just throw out the race card and hope it sticks.
But the focus of this thread are the racist comments posted in the internet. This kid is not an illegal immigrant, he is an American citizen born and raised here. So those comments are ignorant and baseless. Many people are against illegal immigration, that's fine, but when you start painting all Hispanics with the same broad brush that is simply wrong and it is exactly the definition of racism. Just because you hide racism behind a political issue, doesn't one any less of a racist.

[MOD CUT/personal attack]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-14-2013 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies