Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
We all have that inner desire to procreate, but common sense should intervene, if the circumstances will create havoc in our lives or quite possibly the lives of others...

You haven't read too many of the threads on this forum have you? Common sense is non existant for so many.

It's laughable that people actually believe welfare recipients do well. In actuality, most earn less than 20K per year and often reside in crime infested areas.
Not EVERY single Mother is as you have described. What about those who had a good stable home with their husbands who are now widowed? What about those who are the victims of crime? Then there are those who had a good stable home until the husband decided one day to trade her in for a younger, thinner woman and left her with nothing but debt because she was a stay at home Mother for years.

Not a blanket fix for everyone and not everyone fits your stereotype for welfare benefits either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I've thought about this controversial issue for quite sometime.

I'm a black American woman that simply can not understand why so many poor urban women continue to have children, without any male support. Obviously, the overall rapid decay of vast urban communities, seem to prove that single parent homes are ineffective. Sadly, the children almost always end up either dead or in jail.

Given the grim circumstances, why do urban women continue to have out of wedlock children, without any male assistance or help from their male partners?
Urban?

You think there's more "urban" single moms than rural ones? How much money do you wanna put on that?

And i think everybody by now understands that single motherhood has a high chance of ending badly for the kids.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Isn't there a responsible way?

Abstinence, or condoms, or the pill, or you know the dad actually being a dad?

You seem to be under the impression that just killing the baby or being a single mom or the only options here.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Why are conservatives attacked for trying to encourage family and responsibility.

Did you know, that black married couples make almost as much as white married couples. The disparity between blacks and whites with income is fueled by blacks having far more single mothers. Poverty has become feminized. Single moms with kids. How does Detroit, a majority black city, having 70% of its kids in single mother homes help its future prospects?

P.S. Obama greatly escalated the war in Afghanistan, followed Bush's Iraq withdrawal timeline, used force in Libya, escalated proxy war in Somalia, started a drone war in Yemen, escalated drone use in Pakistan, has had over 20,000 air strikes as president, and has deployed special forces in 75 countries and counting..... Obama is Bush III

It is always important when using stats not to draw misleading conclusions.

In 2011, the median income of white alone married couples was $78,546, for black alone married couples it was $64,875. A yearly income of difference of $13,671 is a huge difference.

Secondly, one has to compare apples to apples. Comparing the household incomes of married black couples to married white couples without factoring in that married black couples are much more likely to have both people working than white married couples is misleading as well.

I think white married couples with children under age of 18 are about twice as likely to have a stay at home mom than black married couples.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Statistically, no other variable has as strong of a correlation to poor outcomes for children than being born out-of-wedlock, especially if they continue to live in that single parent household and there are more out-of-wedlock children born in it. It is even worse if there are multiple fathers. It is what it is. Creating false outrage that people are being moralistic and judgmental to say it needs to be addressed is disingenuous. It's a matter of priorities, the one that creates the biggest problem is that one that needs to be focused on the most.
I don't agree with your conclusion about variables, first being born in poverty is the greatest predictor of adulthood poverty or bad outcomes as an adult. So the issue truly is childhood poverty no matter the relationship status of that child's parents.

Also when stats are used for outcomes for children of single parents it is a comparison statistic. It doesn't tell you that the majority of children born to single parents have bad outcomes.

It tells you in comparison to children born to two parent households children of single parents have statistically significant worse outcomes. This is an important distinction because the majority of children born to single parents are not criminals or drug addicts, violent, etc.

I am not creating false outrage, what I pointed out is that there are many ways as a society we could group bad societal outcomes for children based on the circumstances of their parents.

We don't do that to those parents, but we do it to single parents. I think the difference is based on one of moral judgement where in fact as a society, we seek to punish single parents and their children to not encourage more of that immoral behavior, which of course contributes to the worse outcomes statistically for those children. It is a very strange thing.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Why? My own theory? These young women have no hope and lack self-confidence. The only things they believe they can hope for is a man and failing that, a child to love them unconditionally.
I totally agree. And this is true throughout social strata, although for young urban women who have a bleak start and even bleaker future, it's more likely. But rich girls who get material things but no real love or encouragement are prone too.

The answer is not money, it's mentorship - from both sexes, at a young age. Self confidence and hope for the future will go a long way if made a reality for girls.

We could stop it if we wanted. It just requires a bit of time and commitment from people.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Our present day welfare system has promoted this lifestyle.
Its called playing house.
And what female with low maturation skills wouldn't love that.
We've created a game for these folks where it doesn't matter
to them where the money comes from.
We've created a treasury of monopoly money.

The don't pass go, go to jail for the guys, well it just guarantees the cycle continues.
Or should I say excuse for.....
Its also about the liberal government declaring that fathers are unimportant, nothing more than sperm donors, easily replaced by government handout programs.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Its also about the liberal government declaring that fathers are unimportant, nothing more than sperm donors, easily replaced by government handout programs.
Where's that particular declaration, exactly?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor, but do you have anything concrete to show what percentage of urban decay is due to single-parent households?

"Almost always?" Do you have some actual stats to support this?

Sometimes they may feel secure that their male partners will be responsible and help them emotionally and financially rear the child, but then the male splits.

I have worked social services for over a quarter century. That has included recent work determining eligibility for SNAP and other programs (LIHEAP, TANF, day care assistance, etc.)

In my state, the average SNAP benefit comes out to $1.42 per meal.

I am sure there are people who get their SNAP benefits and go out and spend it all in one big grocery shopping spree buying things they can't afford and not budgeting or planning meals well. When that happens, they will just run out of SNAP benefits (and likely food) before the month is out.
You're forgetting about the WIC coupons and the free meals at the public schools and head start centers.

There is much duplication of handouts. What happens is that since the mothers sell the foodstamps or buy food for their current boyfriend, the taxpayers have to provide at least 2 free meals at schools and head start center. Plus WIC provides the real food since food stamp cards can be used to buy nothing but junk food if not sold for beer and cigarette or other money.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't agree with your conclusion about variables, first being born in poverty is the greatest predictor of adulthood poverty or bad outcomes as an adult. So the issue truly is childhood poverty no matter the relationship status of that child's parents.

Also when stats are used for outcomes for children of single parents it is a comparison statistic. It doesn't tell you that the majority of children born to single parents have bad outcomes.

It tells you in comparison to children born to two parent households children of single parents have statistically significant worse outcomes. This is an important distinction because the majority of children born to single parents are not criminals or drug addicts, violent, etc.

I am not creating false outrage, what I pointed out is that there are many ways as a society we could group bad societal outcomes for children based on the circumstances of their parents.

We don't do that to those parents, but we do it to single parents. I think the difference is based on one of moral judgement where in fact as a society, we seek to punish single parents and their children to not encourage more of that immoral behavior, which of course contributes to the worse outcomes statistically for those children. It is a very strange thing.
Of course they have bad outcomes. A life on welfare handouts, government dependency is in itself a bad outcome.

The rate of welfare dependency is growing at incredible rates. In many parts of the country many more babies are now born to welfare dependent households than are born to taxpaying parents.

It's not sustainable.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
"Poor urban women" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies