Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,322,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
lol. I and the jury are in sync. Too bad about you.
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

298 posts, read 381,694 times
A lot of people do good due to guilt. Fact of life.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Zimmerman killed a kid? When did that happen? Last I heard, the only person he had killed was a young adult who was in the process of breaking his head.
Eighteen years old is considered a young adult, below eighteen is considered as a juvenile in most states.

Quote:
An area of the law that deals with the actions and well-being of persons who are not yet adults.

In the law a juvenile is defined as a person who is not old enough to be held responsible for criminal acts. In most states and on the federal level, this age threshold is set at 18 years. In Wyoming a juvenile is a person under the age of 19. In some states a juvenile is a person under the age of 17, and in Connecticut, New York, and North Carolina, a juvenile is a person under the age of 16. These age definitions are significant because they determine whether a young person accused of criminal conduct will be charged with a crime in adult court or will be required to appear in juvenile court.
Juvenile Law legal definition of Juvenile Law. Juvenile Law synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Now I have to worry about idiot armed vigilantes who can't tell me apart from a gang member. .
No, you have nothing to worry about as long as you do not start beating on the person and bashing their head into concrete, the way Trayvon did with George.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 PM

500 posts, read 376,213 times
Quote:
Huh?
You have a master's degree?

Let me repeat that which you find so difficult to understand:

I and the jury are in sync. If you can't accept their verdict, it's your problem. The words NOT GUILTY aren't that hard to understand.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM

93 posts, read 83,008 times
Quote:
I'm looking this from the perspective of a law-abiding person who hates it when the actions of others disrupt my life as well. It stems from the fact that I grew up black in the suburbs and have been profiled all of my life. Now I have to worry about idiot armed vigilantes who can't tell me apart from a gang member. And no, I don't sag my pants, I have a Masters degree, and I don't have an arrest record.
I'm looking at this from the perspective of a law abiding person of color who hates the denial the black community and to some extent the latino community has in regards to the criminal element within. Whites and others see it and because minorities don't hold each other accountable they are justified to profile all of us. It's our fault. If you don't hold someone accountable they think it's proper behaviour, it's cool and it definitely attracts the lady. You then have kids (like TM) who grow up seeing this crap and emulating it. He may have had great parents but that does not prevent the influence this dysfunctional gang culture has on him.

I grew up in the hood and have seen this and now I don't live there for obvious reasons. The good black people are sitting it out when there is violence propagated by black people. Why? Because they are afraid and end up latching onto the 'no snitching' code. I suppose there may be some rationalization like this is empowering or one less brother in jail is a good thing. I don't like profiling as much as you. So how do you resolve a string of crimes in your neighborhood. Do you form a neighborhood crime watch? Do you blame whites or white hispanics or koreans or Arabs or the Jewish Landlords or Dominicans and little by little until you blame Black women for the problems in the communities. After you blame Black women then hmm you're starting to run out. Since you start to run out you move from these crime infested communities to where whites live. Never once do you say to yourself well I moved because of the crime perpetuated by the culture in the black and now hispanic community. Never would you form a neighborhood crime watch. Never would you feel you're life is threatened by one of these ignorant hoodlums. No the one you are afraid of is an armed vigilante. Right the threat of armed vigilantes roaming black neighborhoods is a so pervasive in our society. I don't know why the media doesn't report on these armed vigilantes. Zimmerman can't be a vigilante since he called the police and vigilantes don't call the police before they kill.

Stop playing the victim. You living in the suburbs and feel threatened by vigilantes is a joke. If you think I don't have issues with profiling you're wrong. I hate it. But i have the sense to distinguish what is profiling and even then I don't run up on people and smash their heads on the concrete.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
I'm looking this from the perspective of a law-abiding person who hates it when the actions of others disrupt my life as well. It stems from the fact that I grew up black in the suburbs and have been profiled all of my life. Now I have to worry about idiot armed vigilantes who can't tell me apart from a gang member. And no, I don't sag my pants, I have a Masters degree, and I don't have an arrest record.
You're black, been profiled and survived?

Sounds like to me someone has taken personal responsibility in the face of a clearly (still) racist society/criminal justice system.

Are you and I pleased that walking into a 7-11 while leaving your hoodie up is incorrect behavior for males, especially black males?

No, but I bet neither one of us do it.

It's like O'Mara talked about after the trial: the system is still racist. I know it. I'm in it. Personally, I see economic class as just as big of an issue if not moreso but that's another thread. This just wasn't a case that exemplifies what is going on in that paradigm as O'Mara pointed out.

We KNOW TM was a punk thug. Not because he was black but because of his paper trail. We know GZ was a defiant, over-zealous, bully with a record of trouble. Not because he was Hispanic but because of his paper trail.

When you have as much dirt on your record as these 2 did it usually ends this way. While the system has its flaws you do it a disservice to point to this case in terms of fixing the flaws.

I work in corrections. Do you think me/my coworkers lose sleep when the idiots turn on each other? Hell no. We'd prefer it if they'd eliminate each other so you and me can live in peace and then address the real issues.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

We KNOW TM was a punk thug. Not because he was black but because of his paper trail. We know GZ was a defiant, over-zealous, bully with a record of trouble. Not because he was Hispanic but because of his paper trail.
The problem is generally when these two forces collide, one ends up dead and the other in jail.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io.I View Post
I'm looking at this from the perspective of a law abiding person of color who hates the denial the black community and to some extent the latino community has in regards to the criminal element within. Whites and others see it and because minorities don't hold each other accountable they are justified to profile all of us. It's our fault. If you don't hold someone accountable they think it's proper behaviour, it's cool and it definitely attracts the lady. You then have kids (like TM) who grow up seeing this crap and emulating it. He may have had great parents but that does not prevent the influence this dysfunctional gang culture has on him.

I grew up in the hood and have seen this and now I don't live there for obvious reasons. The good black people are sitting it out when there is violence propagated by black people. Why? Because they are afraid and end up latching onto the 'no snitching' code. I suppose there may be some rationalization like this is empowering or one less brother in jail is a good thing. I don't like profiling as much as you. So how do you resolve a string of crimes in your neighborhood. Do you form a neighborhood crime watch? Do you blame whites or white hispanics or koreans or Arabs or the Jewish Landlords or Dominicans and little by little until you blame Black women for the problems in the communities. After you blame Black women then hmm you're starting to run out. Since you start to run out you move from these crime infested communities to where whites live. Never once do you say to yourself well I moved because of the crime perpetuated by the culture in the black and now hispanic community. Never would you form a neighborhood crime watch. Never would you feel you're life is threatened by one of these ignorant hoodlums. No the one you are afraid of is an armed vigilante. Right the threat of armed vigilantes roaming black neighborhoods is a so pervasive in our society. I don't know why the media doesn't report on these armed vigilantes. Zimmerman can't be a vigilante since he called the police and vigilantes don't call the police before they kill.

Stop playing the victim. You living in the suburbs and feel threatened by vigilantes is a joke. If you think I don't have issues with profiling you're wrong. I hate it. But i have the sense to distinguish what is profiling and even then I don't run up on people and smash their heads on the concrete.
Who said anything about being a victim? I'm just a law abiding citizen who wants to be protected by the law.

Also, I'll be damned if I apologize for a crime that someone else commits. If someone aggressively follows me in the dark, I will have my guard up - especially if that person doesn't identify himself or isn't wearing anything that identifies him/her as police or security.

And yes, you would be a fool if you think that this couldn't happen to you.

I doubt that you're really black in the first place. If you are, then you would understand that blacks are scared of crime just like everyone else.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're black, been profiled and survived?

Sounds like to me someone has taken personal responsibility in the face of a clearly (still) racist society/criminal justice system.

Are you and I pleased that walking into a 7-11 while leaving your hoodie up is incorrect behavior for males, especially black males?

No, but I bet neither one of us do it.

It's like O'Mara talked about after the trial: the system is still racist. I know it. I'm in it. Personally, I see economic class as just as big of an issue if not moreso but that's another thread. This just wasn't a case that exemplifies what is going on in that paradigm as O'Mara pointed out.

When you have as much dirt on your record as these 2 did it usually ends this way. While the system has its flaws you do it a disservice to point to this case in terms of fixing the flaws.

I work in corrections. Do you think me/my coworkers lose sleep when the idiots turn on each other? Hell no. We'd prefer it if they'd eliminate each other so you and me can live in peace and then address the real issues.
Trayvon may have had objectionable tweets, but where is the evidence that he was a thug? And no, smoking marijuana doesn't make you a thug - that is unless you consider Cheech and Chong thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies