Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Well the priority isn't being met. Now they are on NATO type alert to get kids to school according to the article. This is a major city in the USA not some third world country. They aren't stopping anything. Business is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Well, I don't know what the solution is. Maybe because I've never been in that situation. I think most of us have never been in that situation. Maybe people should be talking to and asking questions of the ones who actually are in that situation. Truthfully. I'm sure if that happened more, this kind of thing could perhaps be eliminated.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
One legislator a few weeks back asked for the national guard to be called in. Maybe that is what is needed? Every day you see five or six folks getting shot in Chicago. My dad and aunt grew up there. My dad went to Fenger high that was reference in the article. He said it was a tough neighborhood back then but would never even go near it today.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
We've had like 20 shootings here in Milwaukee in the past week. It's been a bad week. Our mayor & police chief spoke up about it. Very quickly, I might add. I give them props for realizing very quickly that a problem is going on. Anyway, there was no talk of national guard but they are looking for more stringent sentencing for violators. I applaud that, it's about time. Any feedback towards lessening these crimes is welcome, no matter how insignificant the ideas may seem.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why don't the cops clean up the gangs first instead of wasting 8 mill on maps nobody will follow? Or just give the kids guns so they can fight back? Oops can't do that in chicago.
Because the politicians continue to make drugs illegal and won't do anything to improve the economic conditions in those neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Good for them to try and work out a way to get kids to school and back without being murdered in the streets.

I can't imagine living in such a place. You have to pray every day you don't get shot in your front yard, on your porch, going and coming from school, into your bedroom while you sleep.
Think about graduating into a world where you started the lowest on the totem poll.

Survival is graduation for some students.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well the cops can't seem to protect em. The old standby of calling 911 aint doing any good. What do you suggest? There are kids carrying guns doing the killing and drug dealing and robbing. Gotta fight back somehow or just lay and wait for your number to come up I guess.
I'll tell you my "gun" story in Chicago.

Didn't know all the laws there and was new to the area. Decided to take a walk along the lakeshore one evening. There were still quite a few people out jogging and hanging out.

An officer driving through gets on his PA and says, "Get your ass outta the park!"

Confused, I obeyed and started walking back to the underpass where I entered the park and stopped to ask a couple if the park was closed. They looked confused and said no and then I explained my story.

To make a long story short, I could've received 10 years that night just for carrying a gun with me while I walked in a place I was unfamiliar with.

KU, I'm telling you man. There's some seriously effed up systematic BS going on in this country. We need more conservatives joining up with the inner cities and vice versa. It's our government that's ineffecient, not the people.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,503 times
I thought midnight basketball was supposed to be the answer to the violence problem.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I thought midnight basketball was supposed to be the answer to the violence problem.
Lol.

No way in hell I'm playing basketball after dark in some of those hoods.

Honestly though, more positive youth activities would help in those communities. There are still a ton of great people living there just trying to get by.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
The fact that the Black community is not a shamed of this speaks volumes and tells you all that you need to know about its decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies