Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, it isn't. Because Obama campaigned on helping them, and then didn't do it.
Romney did not make that comment. He said that the 47% wouldn't vote for him. You are misrepresenting his comment.

Romney had a 5 point plan. Energy independence, job training, increased trade, cut the deficit, and reduce taxes on the middle class. None of those points were to help the rich and forget the poor. He specifically said he was not going to reduce the tax burden of the wealthy. Your rhetoric is trite and tiresome.
A. how did he promise to help them? What was he going to do?
B. Yes, Romney did in fact mean that 47% wouldn't vote for him because he didn't represent them. Re watch that video. Why do you think there was such a hubbub over it?
C. Romney wanted to completely get rid of alternative energy. That my friend is not becoming energy independent. How was he going to cut the deficit? How was he going to reduce taxes on the middle class while cutting taxes on the wealthy thereby bearing that burden on the shoulders of the middle class? I'm thinking ya kinda didn't know what Romney stood for at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
C. Romney wanted to completely get rid of alternative energy.
I must have missed it. Was he planning to outlaw it? I hope not, because I own a few solar panels, and if I have a criminal record, it's more difficult to get a job.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,268 times
Quote:
B. Yes, Romney did in fact mean that 47% wouldn't vote for him because he didn't represent them. Re watch that video. Why do you think there was such a hubbub over it?
C. Romney wanted to completely get rid of alternative energy. That my friend is not becoming energy independent. How was he going to cut the deficit? How was he going to reduce taxes on the middle class while cutting taxes on the wealthy thereby bearing that burden on the shoulders of the middle class? I'm thinking ya kinda didn't know what Romney stood for at all.
Utter rubbish!

The listed you replied to about the 5 point plan was correct.

Your 'C' is laughingly wrong. Then you go on to ignore completely what was just said!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, it isn't. Because Obama campaigned on helping them, and then didn't do it.
Romney did not make that comment. He said that the 47% wouldn't vote for him. You are misrepresenting his comment.

Romney had a 5 point plan. Energy independence, job training, increased trade, cut the deficit, and reduce taxes on the middle class. None of those points were to help the rich and forget the poor. He specifically said he was not going to reduce the tax burden of the wealthy. Your rhetoric is trite and tiresome.
He absolutely did make that comment. Yes, he did say that 47% of the population wouldn't vote for him - but then he went ON to say 47% that are dependent on the government, that believe they are entitled (or some such); I clearly recall 'dependent on the government'.

His meaning was crystal clear.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He absolutely did make that comment. Yes, he did say that 47% of the population wouldn't vote for him - but then he went ON to say 47% that are dependent on the government, that believe they are entitled (or some such); I clearly recall 'dependent on the government'.

His meaning was crystal clear.
His MEANING was in an answer to a question about how he'd get the 47% of Americans that don't pay taxes to vote for him since his message of lower taxes wouldn't apply to them.

Within the answer he said he couldn't care about them.....in the context of voting for him - not as people. When you read the quote in full, that is overwhelmingly apparent.

Lefties and the lapdog media took just that one sentence out of context and sll-out lied.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yep
its funny how they call the host the parasites, and the parasites the host....

Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
It's right there in his 5 point plan. Job training and tax cuts for the middle class. He would help provide them with the skills to get a better paying job, and once they'd done it he'd let them keep more of their paychecks to support themselves and their families as they see fit.

It's just the age old liberal/conservative difference. The conservative wants to help poor people by giving them good jobs and the liberal wants to help poor people by giving them a bigger check. And since giving people a good job doesn't involve direct point to point aid, the liberals exploit that to claim that Republicans hate poor people. It's been going on like this for decades.
Quote:
B. Yes, Romney did in fact mean that 47% wouldn't vote for him because he didn't represent them.
Yes, but why didn't he represent them? That's the crux of the 47% comment. Why did he say he didn't represent them? Because he felt he could never convince them that getting off government benefits was better than staying on them. Notice he never said he didn't represent poor people. What he said was that he didn't represent entitlement minded people. Plus, "represent" was used in terms of voting constituencies not in terms of governing. Just like a pro-life candidate doesn't represent pro-choice people, and a pro-choice candidate doesn't represent pro-life people. It's simply a "this is my view, and people who don't share it probably won't vote for me" thing.
Quote:
Re watch that video. Why do you think there was such a hubbub over it?
Here's the transcription of his comments:

“Well, there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right? There are 47% who are with him. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that– that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they’re entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. But that’s– it’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And– and– I mean the president starts off with 48%, 49%, 40– or he– he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. And he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that’s what they sell every– every four years.</p> <p>And– and so my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. Whether they like the guy or not. What they– what it looks like. I mean the– it’s the– the– when you ask those people– we do all these polls. I find it amazing. We poll all these people, see where you stand in the polls. About 45% of the people will vote for the Republican and 48% or 49%– “

It is absolutely clear from an intellectually honest reading of his comment that he was saying the people on welfare who feel it is their right to have the government support them will be voting for Obama no matter what so he'd be wasting campaign resources if he tried to change their minds. He is quite clearly discussing election strategy.

But the reason there was a hubub? For the same reason that Zimmerman's 911 call was altered by NBC to make it appear he made a racist comment that he didn't make. For the same reason that people took Obama's single sentence in his Rose Garden speech about Benghazi where he referenced acts of terror and tried to retroactively use that as proof he called the Benghazi situation a terrorist attack all along when he clearly did not. For the same reason liberals took Sarah Palin's marking swing states in the election with a crosshairs as evidence of her inciting violence. For the same reason liberals consistently ignore the "and replace" part of Repeal and Replace so they can claim that Republicans' end goal is to deny health care to poor people. There was a hubub because liberals took Romney's comments out of the context they were made in, and presented them as being him stating he didn't care about poor people.
Quote:
C. Romney wanted to completely get rid of alternative energy. That my friend is not becoming energy independent.
No, you're wrong. You're simply doing exactly what I talked about earlier - pushing a false narrative. Here is Romney's goal from his own website:

Build more nuclear power plants and reform regulations on existing plants.
Expand oil exploration and drilling here in the U.S.
Invest in renewable energy, such as clean burning coal.
Utilize natural gas more effectively.
Encourage private investment in energy technology.
Don’t agree to policies that reduce only our greenhouse gas emissions, while allowing China and India to continue their current output.

So your statement "Romney wanted to completely get rid of alternative energy" is simply 100% false.
Quote:
How was he going to cut the deficit?
1. Cap government spending at 20% of GDP
2. Reduce discretionary spending by 5%
3. Replace only one for every two federal employees who retire until the federal workforce is reduced 10%
4. Reform medicare, medicaid, and social security so that they are long term sustainable
Quote:
How was he going to reduce taxes on the middle class while cutting taxes on the wealthy thereby bearing that burden on the shoulders of the middle class?
He wasn't cutting taxes on the wealthy. As I stated in the very message you responded to, he said he would not cut the tax burden on the wealthy. He stated that in no uncertain terms. Direct quote from Romney in the presidential debate:
"I will not reduce the share paid by high-income individuals, all right? I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans."
Quote:
I'm thinking ya kinda didn't know what Romney stood for at all.
It's quite the opposite. I have shown direct quotes that refute every claim you made about Romney.

Liberals created an image of Romney as an out of touch rich guy who didn't care about poor people. They then simply pushed ahead with that narrative no matter what Romney's actual policies or quotes were, and declared that anyone who didn't agree with their narrative was a liar or deluded.

I actually did not want or vote for Romney to be the Republican candidate. I voted for him in the general election purely because I was opposed to Obama, not because I really liked Romney. But that doesn't mean the Marie Antoinette type image that liberals tried to push is in any way accurate. Democrats won in 2012 by slandering Romney rather than by actually advancing any constructive policy ideas. Exit polls showed that voters actually rated Romney higher than Obama on both domestic issues and foreign policy, but voted for Obama because they like him as a person more.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Yeah, it looks like big business got a Republican in office after all.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Only those among that group that want to work for a living have fared badly.

The lazy are doing just fine -- more of them on food stamps than ever, Medicaid is expanding by leaps and bounds, more have the free Obamaphones than ever before.

The welfare class isn't hurting or shrinking for sure.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
His MEANING was in an answer to a question about how he'd get the 47% of Americans that don't pay taxes to vote for him since his message of lower taxes wouldn't apply to them.

Within the answer he said he couldn't care about them.....in the context of voting for him - not as people. When you read the quote in full, that is overwhelmingly apparent.

Lefties and the lapdog media took just that one sentence out of context and sll-out lied.

Posted with TapaTalk
NO. I heard what he said. Clearly, he was willing to write off 47% of the population. He lost and must Republicans agree that he was not a good candidate.

There is NO WAY to justify his remarks. None.

Those remarks just might have cost him the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies