Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that, while humans can derive nutrition from almost anything on the entire planet, including flora and fauna that no homo sapien has ever encountered before, changing a few alleles in something's DNA is going to hurt us. Unless it specifically causes the organism to produce something on the relatively short list of organic molecules that's especially toxic to humans, then there's no harm done. Nothing in your website points out a specific compound produced by a GMO that's harmful, so I don't think they understand the actual science behind it.
Ever heard of allergies? Your idea of hurt might be different than anothers.
Not to mention humans have been dropping dead and getting sick from things they eat forever.
Even the study done for the FDA stated different risks. Didn't claim there were no risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Not only that, but other countries label their GMO ingredients. While Monsanto & other big corporations fought tooth & nail, spent millions of dollars to prevent the labeling of GMO ingredients in the USA. If GMO's are safe, why are they trying soooo hard to hide the GMO ingredients from us? Why??? If its so wonderful LABEL it! We should be able to choose what we eat & how we spend our money.

I also cannot stand how different companies like Kraft use GMO ingredients & artificial colors for the products sold in the US, but use natural colors like beet juice, paprika in products outside of the US, why the double standard? Why do we get the worse? It happens with everything, from cereals, candies, drinks, etc. So, they can manage to produce a better product for other countries that demand it, but not for us?
This practice is inexcusable.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link & thread. It is a real shame, sad indeed that we have to fight for this.
It is also sad how the same people who support Monsanto, always show up in these threads, I wonder if they are on their payroll oh, nevermind, I know they must be.
of course. anyone who questions the hysterics must automatically be paid by Monsanto.
there is no other possibility. i'm only surprised it took this many posts for this to be said.

Spoiler

Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Not only that, but other countries label their GMO ingredients. While Monsanto & other big corporations fought tooth & nail, spent millions of dollars to prevent the labeling of GMO ingredients in the USA. If GMO's are safe, why are they trying soooo hard to hide the GMO ingredients from us? Why??? If its so wonderful LABEL it! We should be able to choose what we eat & how we spend our money.

I also cannot stand how different companies like Kraft use GMO ingredients & artificial colors for the products sold in the US, but use natural colors like beet juice, paprika in products outside of the US, why the double standard? Why do we get the worse? It happens with everything, from cereals, candies, drinks, etc. So, they can manage to produce a better product for other countries that demand it, but not for us?
if GMOs terrify you so badly, why not just buy certified organic?
would this not put an end to your nightmares?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if GMOs terrify you so badly, why not just buy certified organic?
would this not put an end to your nightmares?
There is no reason that they shouldn't label. Especially since they are so proud of their product.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,652 times
It's more than the FEDS that are cracking down on these terrorist/farmers:

Massive SWAT team raid destroys organic farm - Salon.com

SWAT Team Raids Texas Organic Farm, Holds Residents At Gunpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I see a few Lefties here that don't like GM foods, but in other threads praise the Fed. Government and the FDA which are RESPONSIBLE for GM foods. So which is it? Is the FDA good or bad? Please make up your damn minds! Also, it's the FEDS that don't allow local farmers to grow and sell to the populace.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link & thread. It is a real shame, sad indeed that we have to fight for this.
It is also sad how the same people who support Monsanto, always show up in these threads, I wonder if they are on their payroll oh, nevermind, I know they must be.
Isn't it funny to see people use the same old worn out phrases "on their payroll"

Must be from the certified organic food they eat that's fertilized with disease-ridden cow poop.....

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Oh no, not more weepy cry-baby articles by hipsters that want to do things their way in cities and found out they can't.

Only hipsters and other stupid people would think because "it's private land" it's no longer under a cities ordinances...

NFN but the sources of the articles cannot be verified (alternet.com) - seems the domain is for sale, so it's BS...

The picture of the massive number of SWAT members? - A stock photo from Wikimedia, has nothing to do with the police raid...

Seems these articles are MASSIVE mistruths and lies....

Last edited by plwhit; 09-12-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I saw your links the first time. You lumping everyone in a big pot isn't truth. That's your biased perspective. If you are bored why are you on this thread?
Excuse me, I replied in-topic with the OP.

Please point out to me where in the TOS it says one can only post if one agrees with the OP....

Why is it bobbing heads hate it when anyone questions their viewpoint?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
How lazy can one get? Did you check out the link I provided? All your studies are linked to there.

Here is something about one of them.

A new published study reveals that insecticidal proteins from genetically modified corn crops are entering streams throughout the Midwestern United States. The proteins enter streams through runoff and when corn leaves, stalks, and plant parts are washed into stream channels, and are being found even six months after harvest. The study’s authors say more research is needed to determine the impacts of the GM material on the streams’ ecosystems. The study was published in September in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). - See more at: GM corn polluting Midwest streams

Nothing like modern up-to-date new huh?

From your article:

Quote:
In a 2007 PNAS paper, Tank and a group of researchers demonstrated that GM materials from corn (pollen, leaves, cobs) do, in fact, enter streams in the agricultural Midwest and can be subsequently transported to downstream water bodies.

Research needed on impacts of GMO on ecosystems
Mind you, not that there is any health problems with these "GM materials" Just that some people get scawred at the mention of GM crops or Technology

Last edited by plwhit; 09-12-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies