Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I heard so too but I don't believe it. You can't use ebt cards for electronics...right?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
They can withdraw cash, just like a debit card, for non-food items.

This is the way the law is supposed to work.

Legal Notice
  • Misuse or abuse of your card will result in investigation by State and/or Federal authorities. Documented violations will result in sanctions including:
    • Disqualification from program
    • Recovery through recoupment/restitution
    • And/or referral for Criminal prosecution
  • It is a crime to defraud the system or to sell your card and PIN to others! Repeated loss and replacement of your card may result in a special investigation of your case.
DSS: How to Access Cash and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're a one trick pony aren't you? You've spewed this tripe countless times on this forum, as if there's some sort of vindication you feel you've earned on behalf of this President, even as we've watched with eyes wide open the Leech Society that has grown by monumental proportions under his watch, and absent any particular concern over the degradation of our society at the behest of this Food Stamp and Poverty President.â„¢

As long as you can find some caveat to protect this President at all costs, you will spew it over and over like a the Good Sheepâ„¢ that you are. It must make you feel really good to stump for such an aberration. Awesome.
Opinions are not facts.

I prefer facts to rumors and hyperbole.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I heard so too but I don't believe it. You can't use ebt cards for electronics...right?

These EBT cards contain both SNAP and TANF and other money programs.
The non-SNAP money can be used for whatever they want..even that big screen TV.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Opinions are not facts.

I prefer facts to rumors and hyperbole.
No, you prefer to stump for a worthless President, no matter how low you have to go to do so. That much is evident.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Make her work then she'll have less time to get it on with every tom, dick and harry.
The conservative CATO Institute reported that since the Welfare Reform in 1996, 80% of those receiving TANF benefits as a condition of working at least 20 hours a week, were employed in positions subsidized by federal, state, county or municipal governments.

I don't view this as too different than the U.S. doling out foreign military aid which in turn becomes payment for military equipment contracts with U.S. manufacturers.

It's all manufactured employment paid for by legacy deficit spending.

Global competition and technology have permanently eliminated tens of millions of jobs. This is not unique to the U.S.

AP IMPACT: Recession, tech kill middle-class jobs

The conservative Heritage Foundation reports that 1/3 of all manufacturing jobs were lost in the period of 2000-2010.

Manufacturing Jobs: Technology Changes Decreased U.S. Manufacturing Employment

The longer it's made into a partisan issue the tougher it will be to deal with the new reality.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
They can withdraw cash, just like a debit card, for non-food items.

This is the way the law is supposed to work.

Legal Notice
  • Misuse or abuse of your card will result in investigation by State and/or Federal authorities. Documented violations will result in sanctions including:
    • Disqualification from program
    • Recovery through recoupment/restitution
    • And/or referral for Criminal prosecution
  • It is a crime to defraud the system or to sell your card and PIN to others! Repeated loss and replacement of your card may result in a special investigation of your case.
DSS: How to Access Cash and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits

I know someone who (as a customer of a small Asian grocery) was involved in food stamp fraud and she was disqualified from SNAP for (I think) 12 months. The grocery owner got prison time and some financial penalties.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Nearly half (47 percent) of SNAP beneficiaries are under age 18 and another 8 percent were age 60 or older. Working-age women represented 28 percent of the caseload, while working-age men represented 17 percent.

Over the last two decades, large shares of SNAP households have become working households. In 1989, 42 percent of all SNAP households received cash welfare benefits and only 20 percent had earned income. By 2010, over three times as many SNAP households worked as relied solely on welfare benefits for their income.

Despite the large jump in unemployment during the recession, the share of SNAP families with earnings has continued to increase in recent years. This suggests that for a growing share of the nation's workers, having a job has not been enough to keep them out of poverty.

Hannity Omits The "Food Stamp" Facts: Most Recipients Have Jobs, Or Are Seniors Or Children | Research | Media Matters for America

Retail and food services have been the nation's dominate employers since the 80's. These sectors are known for employing part timers because employers want scheduling flexibility and to avoid paying OT.

Technology eliminated 1/3 of all middle class U.S. manufacturing jobs 2000-2010. This is not unique to the U.S. Instead of focusing on the reality, many find it easier to blame presidents and political parties and especially the working poor.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How does a society stop this?
Communist China would force an abortion.
Society?
Again...personal responsibility. How hard can it be?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, you prefer to stump for a worthless President, no matter how low you have to go to do so. That much is evident.
Opinions are not facts.

I generally don't blame any president for anything beyond kicking the can forward.

There has been an ongoing global shift in employment dynamics for decades.

No one has a plan so they blame the other party for a global reality.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These EBT cards contain both SNAP and TANF and other money programs.
The non-SNAP money can be used for whatever they want..even that big screen TV.

(For others who might be wondering...) TANF (i.e. welfare, formerly known as AFDC) includes a cash component which is distributed through EBT cards. The vast majority of SNAP recipients do not have TANF and thus do not get cash; EBT cards have both a food balance and a cash balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies