Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A 10 year clerk in a convenience store was approached by a man with a knife who was ready to stab him and rob the store. The clerk pulled out a handgun and probably saved his own life.

He was on tv tonight and he seems like a perfectly nice, easy going guy who simply wanted to live and go home to his family rather than end up in a hospital or a coffin. He's not really angry and says he will just get another job.

Ordinarily I don't like the idea of people having guns, especially handguns. Too many chances for them to get into the wrong hands (like the hands of a crazy person or a young kid). The store fired him because they have a no gun policy. He was registered to carry a gun though. He did know about the no gun policy. I think IF I had to work in a convenience store AT NIGHT, when there had recently been other INCIDENTS, and I was AlONE, I would want something to protect myself. Is there anything else he could have done? Is there some sort of better protection that the management could put in place rather than just putting guys like this out there to get stabbed and robbed?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/...bery-with.html

I saw the video online.......This case worked out fine for both parties (no one got shot or stabbed). The employer doesn't want guns on the property due to liability (patrons shot accidentally, employee accidentally shooting himself, etc). Furthermore this case worked out fine but next time it might not, the lawyers would have a field day with suing the gas station for hiring "Rambo at the Register!"

I agree the guy should have the right to arm himself but if the employer doesn't he needs to find another job.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
The employee violated the employer's policies. Firing was just. The end.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
More people are murdered by hammers than handguns every year.

The problem is not the guns... as your post shows.
Significantly more people die from infections picked up in hospitals every year than from gunshot wounds too. The reality is that guns kill a relatively small number of people each year, and the majority of deaths are actually suicides.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Convenience store clerk is the third most dangerous occupation in America, after commercial fishing and logging.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
If the employers actions were just ,than you take the job. Seems to me that once the word is on the street that the clerk is carying ,the store would be left alone. The fact is stores carry insurance policies that replace the money , a new employee is free.It's a win win for the store owner . Criminals will ignore laws , if you don't know that you do live in a fantasy world . Gun control is about control not about guns .Putting isues against the rifles, which are rarely used in crime, is proof enough of that. The government is fallowing the NATO agenda 21 . You've got a computer look it up . Why do you think Obama has gotten away with all the things he has ? Sence jobs are hard to get ,I would have carried any way knowing I'd get fired . My life is worth more than that . So the dems and libs don't value your life, what are you going to do about it ?nothing. There are plenty more illegals that will vote dem next year.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
its from the fbi crime data - i think its actually a mis-quote, referring to the previous push to ban "assault rifles"..

more people were killed with blunt objects than with *rifles*.

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

personally, I dont agree with the FBI data being used for "talking points" - some of the gun-deaths were justifiable homicides committed by law-enforcement against maniacs & about half of all gun deaths are suicides.. truly suicidal people are going to find a way to leave this world, even if guns are completely banned.
Yep, sorry. Late night.

Fact remains, it's not the tool. It's how you use it.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Do you have any actual statistics backing that up?

Again, an attempt to deflect from the issue (handguns used for self-defense).

In addition, it's interesting that those who apparently aren't aware of such cases are constantly asking others to provide sources. All one has to be is the one attacked and deciding to defend himself and the judiciousness of the well-advised decision to carry a weapon becomes apparent. The truth is that there are many, many more of these types of incidents that go unreported because, when the licensed victim-to-be pulls out a gun in self-defense and scares off an intruder, there's no crime to be reported and the media obligingly buries the story.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Again, an attempt to deflect from the issue (handguns used for self-defense).

In addition, it's interesting that those who apparently aren't aware of such cases are constantly asking others to provide sources. All one has to be is the one attacked and deciding to defend himself and the judiciousness of the well-advised decision to carry a weapon becomes apparent. The truth is that there are many, many more of these types of incidents that go unreported because, when the licensed victim-to-be pulls out a gun in self-defense and scares off an intruder, there's no crime to be reported and the media obligingly buries the story.

my state has lawful open and concealed carry - if you aren't a prohibited person (a felon or mentally ill), you can carry a gun. To hear the prohibitionists tell the story, you would think gunfights break out all the time.. about once a week, you'll see a story where a criminal picked the wrong victim & ended up with high-velocity lead poisoning.. lots of people carry guns here, and you'll never know who they are until you need them. Even with our very liberal gun laws, taking your gun out of your holster is a very big deal - not something that is done lightly if you value your job, your assets & your freedom...

It isnt the *law-abiding* citizens you need to worry about .. it's the bad guys, and the bad guys (by definition!), dont obey laws.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
More people are murdered by hammers than handguns every year.

The problem is not the guns... as your post shows.
I've got a mean early '73 16oz ball pean that I always carry at the ready. I'm going to be ready when some crazy comes at me with a 12 oz claw he barely knows how to use.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Guns are sometimes called equalizers... how else could someone unsuspecting or of slight stature have a chance against one who has planned the attack and is often stronger... at least in the moment?

My brother worked his way through college and part of that was as a night cashier in a gun free area near the University...

Robber demanded cash and brother had just made the drop into the safe... guy started shooting... bullet resistant glass took the first two rounds and then the gun jammed... brother also hit the alarm and the guy ran out.

The glass guy said he was lucky... another round in the same spot would have gone through... only rated for one shot...

Glass cost close to $2,000 to replace and brother walked off the job and never came back...

My point is it is naive to think not resisting will protect you...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-17-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies