Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Yes, quite a bit more than mere anecdotal claims. LaPierre's Loonies have for quite some time now been claiming that there are 2.5 million successful defensive uses of guns per year. In addition to the obvious methodological problems lying behind those claims, there is the fact that the FBI's lists of justifiable homicides come to a couple of hundred per year. Even if every single one of those was associated with defensive gun use, they would not be nearly enough to support the claimed rate of successful intervention. These NRA claims are an example of patent lying.

But in the the interests of fairness and balance, why don't you start posting videos concerning the number of family members shot to death in cases of mistaken identity. Are you aware of any such terrible tragedies as that coming to pass by any chance? If not, I can tell you that they are part of the reason why persons living in households with guns are four times more likely to die of a gunshot wound than those living without a gun in the home.
The bottom line is that you currently have the freedom to take your chances, do everything the bad guys tell you to do - get on your knees, beg for your life & hope the bad guys let you live.

The police will be there 3-7 minutes after the action stops to write a report.

If that makes you feel "safe", then rock-on...

As the video in the first post shows, if there's gonna be a gunfight, you don't want to be the guy holding a knife..

Once you've collected all the guns from the bad guys (including the cops!), I'll gladly surrender mine..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Yes, quite a bit more than mere anecdotal claims. LaPierre's Loonies have for quite some time now been claiming that there are 2.5 million successful defensive uses of guns per year. In addition to the obvious methodological problems lying behind those claims, there is the fact that the FBI's lists of justifiable homicides come to a couple of hundred per year. Even if every single one of those was associated with defensive gun use, they would not be nearly enough to support the claimed rate of successful intervention. These NRA claims are an example of patent lying.

But in the the interests of fairness and balance, why don't you start posting videos concerning the number of family members shot to death in cases of mistaken identity. Are you aware of any such terrible tragedies as that coming to pass by any chance? If not, I can tell you that they are part of the reason why persons living in households with guns are four times more likely to die of a gunshot wound than those living without a gun in the home.
If you refuse to go with the proof I gave you, I've no need to attempt a discussion with you.

And I'm not even remotely a member of NRA.

Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The bottom line is that you currently have the freedom to take your chances, do everything the bad guys tell you to do - get on your knees, beg for your life & hope the bad guys let you live.

The police will be there 3-7 minutes after the action stops to write a report.

If that makes you feel "safe", then rock-on...

As the video in the first post shows, if there's gonna be a gunfight, you don't want to be the guy holding a knife..

Once you've collected all the guns from the bad guys (including the cops!), I'll gladly surrender mine..
lol, more like 37 minutes. Or 3.7 hours.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
The trouble with the anti gun agenda activists is they only look at the headlines which sensationalise shootings in order to sell more papers etc.. Seldom do you see on the TV news or newspaper how someone put a stop to a crime by pulling a gun. It's just not very exciting but it happens all the time.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
There are incidents like this happening all of the time across our country.
No, there aren't. It's nothing but gun-nut hype.

Quote:
One does not need to shoot at the robber/attacker, just show that he/she has a firearm and that usually (I say usually NOT always) deters them from carrying out their threat.
Reality check: Most home burglars are clever enough to plan their "capers" when no one is home. No one needs the hassle of dealing with potentially crazy people. The point is to get what you came for (including of course any guns you can find) and get out again, all with a minimum of hassle. You all meanwhile quake in your boots like the bad boys are about to burst in like the cardinals in the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch. Absurd.

Quote:
The only thing I may have done differently, and I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback this guy, is I may have let the robber have the money (the store is probably covered under insurance) and only brandished/used the firearm if the robber threatened physical harm to me personally. So much for my two cents. Mr. Cothran I am happy that you were not hurt.
Rational people are happy that nobody was hurt. And helping to keep things that way on the largest scale possible is why the employer had the policies it did and would much have prefered that their employee simply not resist and not endanger himself and potentially others by causing the situation to escalate.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Tell that to those that go nowhere without armed protection... Government Officials for one.
Seriously? Do you think there is much assassination risk for convenience store clerks? Or do you think burglars or muggers are out there targeting the President?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Don't know anything about the NRA...
Are you a hermit? Everyone knows about the NRA. They spend millions to make sure you do.

Quote:
It's not like someone is forcing you to have a gun...
And no one is coming to take yours away. That doesn't keep the NRA from lying about the situation though.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Quote:
No, there aren't. It's nothing but gun-nut hype.

Reality check: Most home burglars are clever enough to plan their "capers" when no one is home. No one needs the hassle of dealing with potentially crazy people. The point is to get what you came for (including of course any guns you can find) and get out again, all with a minimum of hassle. You all meanwhile quake in your boots like the bad boys are about to burst in like the cardinals in the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch. Absurd.

Rational people are happy that nobody was hurt. And helping to keep things that way on the largest scale possible is why the employer had the policies it did and would much have prefered that their employee simply not resist and not endanger himself and potentially others by causing the situation to escalate.

Spoken like a true liberal Fairlaker.

I know I would rather have a gun and not be forced to use it then need it and not have one. Imagine some loon coming up to you with a knife or a very Monty Pythonish pointed stick and simply by pulling your gun the would be robber turns and runs? How about a easy target for a perp the elderly "give me your walker or I'll push you down and break your hip" I don't think so sonny...
There is crime all around us and it is only going to get worse and I for one would rather not be the victim. I don't want to hurt anyone but I will not let some jerk hood hurt me either.
It was well in the rights of the clerk to defend himself and well within the rights of his employer to make him stand down and be fired.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'm a grown-up. I don't scare that easily. Actually, I didn't when I was a kid either.

Quote:
The police will be there 3-7 minutes after the action stops to write a report. If that makes you feel "safe", then rock-on...
I live in an upscale neighborhood. The last crime here was 6-7 years ago when cars up and down the block were broken into overnight. Turned out to be a team of crack neighborhood teenagers looking for pocket change left in glove compartments and the like. Whoo-hoo!

But let me clue you in a little here. Guns are a rural/urban issue. In Wyoming, the population density is about 6 people per square mile. In Manhattan, it's nearly 70,000 people per square mile. A gun means different things in different locations. One size does not fit all. Set-in-stoners on both sides need to start thinking about the concessions they could make to the people on the other side. Capiche?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If you refuse to go with the proof I gave you, I've no need to attempt a discussion with you.
It wasn't proof. Pretty big failure, there. Want to try again? Meanwhile, the goober statistics regularly bandied about by gun-nuts concerning great successes in millions of defensive uses of a gun every year are pure unadulterated manufactured garbage. Virtually all of them are descendants of the same highly flawed 1995 study done with what is now hopelessly outdated data. There never was much truth-value in that origianl study, but its propaganda value carries on so long as there are still people gullible enough to buy into it. Don't be one of those people.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A 10 year clerk in a convenience store was approached by a man with a knife who was ready to stab him and rob the store. The clerk pulled out a handgun and probably saved his own life.

He was on tv tonight and he seems like a perfectly nice, easy going guy who simply wanted to live and go home to his family rather than end up in a hospital or a coffin. He's not really angry and says he will just get another job.

Ordinarily I don't like the idea of people having guns, especially handguns. Too many chances for them to get into the wrong hands (like the hands of a crazy person or a young kid). The store fired him because they have a no gun policy. He was registered to carry a gun though. He did know about the no gun policy. I think IF I had to work in a convenience store AT NIGHT, when there had recently been other INCIDENTS, and I was AlONE, I would want something to protect myself. Is there anything else he could have done? Is there some sort of better protection that the management could put in place rather than just putting guys like this out there to get stabbed and robbed?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/...bery-with.html
I find it funny that you are "normally" against guns, but in this case it seems warranted. Most NRA types and gun rights people are exactly like this guy. They use their guns for hunting or protection, not to go out committing murders. If you only had more reporting of people using their guns for defense you'd understand that it's much more common than you think. There are many reports of people defending themselves and their property from robbers or would-be rapists or murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies