Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The trouble with the anti gun agenda activists is they only look at the headlines which sensationalise shootings in order to sell more papers etc.. Seldom do you see on the TV news or newspaper how someone put a stop to a crime by pulling a gun. It's just not very exciting but it happens all the time.
See the above, Todd. It simply doesn't happen all the time. It's quite infrequent at best. Like the others, you've been had.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
OP ,
I agree with you. I'm no fan of guns either. I am not against people using them for personal protection but it still scares me to know how many guns are out there in the wrong hands.
Anyhow, in this case the store clerk was fired because he broke the company rule, however, it saved his life! Its like, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If the store have a rule like that they need to provide other protection for their staff. I don't know. I think the whole thing is sad and un-fare. The guy did the right thing and I don't think anybody can dispute that.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true liberal Fairlaker.
Meaning I guess that you can't otherwise disagree with a word of it.

Quote:
I know I would rather have a gun and not be forced to use it then need it and not have one. Imagine some loon coming up to you with a knife or a very Monty Pythonish pointed stick and simply by pulling your gun the would be robber turns and runs? How about a easy target for a perp the elderly "give me your walker or I'll push you down and break your hip" I don't think so sonny... There is crime all around us and it is only going to get worse and I for one would rather not be the victim. I don't want to hurt anyone but I will not let some jerk hood hurt me either. It was well in the rights of the clerk to defend himself and well within the rights of his employer to make him stand down and be fired.
I'm sure you're a big tough guy alright, but some Peckinpah/Eastwood mentality is not going to provide any help in keeping you safe. In the unlikely event that real trouble ever arises, the bad guys are going to take out Rambo first and Casper MIlquetoast last. KInd of leaves you up that famous creek.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
OP ,
I agree with you. I'm no fan of guns either. I am not against people using them for personal protection but it still scares me to know how many guns are out there in the wrong hands.
Guns change hands very easily. As when buirglars come while you aren't at home and streal all the ones you have. Clean guns fetch a very good price on the street. And while only about a third of Americans own guns, there are more guns in the country than there are people. Have we gone a little overboard here do you think?

Quote:
Anyhow, in this case the store clerk was fired because he broke the company rule, however, it saved his life!
Pure speculation. There is no evidence to suggest that the clerk would have been killed if he had simpy stepped away and let the robbery occur, as company policy called for him to do.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times

in_newengland
A 10 year clerk in a convenience store was approached by a man with a knife who was ready to stab him and rob the store. The clerk pulled out a handgun and probably saved his own life.

He was on tv tonight and he seems like a perfectly nice, easy going guy who simply wanted to live and go home to his family rather than end up in a hospital or a coffin. He's not really angry and says he will just get another job.

Ordinarily I don't like the idea of people having guns, especially handguns. Too many chances for them to get into the wrong hands (like the hands of a crazy person or a young kid). The store fired him because they have a no gun policy. He was registered to carry a gun though. He did know about the no gun policy. I think IF I had to work in a convenience store AT NIGHT, when there had recently been other INCIDENTS, and I was AlONE, I would want something to protect myself. Is there anything else he could have done? Is there some sort of better protection that the management could put in place rather than just putting guys like this out there to get stabbed and robbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It seems like your emotions are overriding your sense or right vs. wrong. You liked the guy, he appeared nice, he's not really angry, he lost his job, boo hoo.

So if the guy with the gun didn't appeal to you on an emotional level, would he have been in the wrong?

Nope!

He did what gun owners everywhere do. He defended himself. 'Nuf said.
No, you missed my point and I was not influenced at all by how the guy acted on tv because I heard the story on the radio the night before. I was just explaining his demeanor for the benefit of other readers who might have thought he wasn't just an ordinary guy.

Mostly I'm against guns unless someone lives out in the country and uses a rifle for hunting. But I'm FOR guns if the police are carrying them and I'm FOR guns if somebody is a night watchman or in some dangerous job where there's a good chance they will be attacked.

I would assume that these people who need the gun for their job (like police) have not only proper training but have been screened to see if they have the restraint to not use a gun unless necessary.

In general I don't like the idea of having guns because they can get into the wrong hands. People with mental problems get into them and kids get to them. I have a relative whose son died because he and his brother were messing with guns.

It seems that some jobs leave the worker like a a sitting duck, just waiting to be attacked--like this convenience store guy. In those instances it seems like there should be some way for the guy to defend himself and not get into trouble. I guess if they only hired specially trained people they'd have to pay them more and that would be the end of the cheap convenience store.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
OP ,
Anyhow, in this case the store clerk was fired because he broke the company rule, however, it saved his life! Its like, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If the store have a rule like that they need to provide other protection for their staff. I don't know. I think the whole thing is sad and un-fare. The guy did the right thing and I don't think anybody can dispute that.
Yes. It's a dilemma. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post

But let me clue you in a little here. Guns are a rural/urban issue. In Wyoming, the population density is about 6 people per square mile. In Manhattan, it's nearly 70,000 people per square mile. A gun means different things in different locations. One size does not fit all. Set-in-stoners on both sides need to start thinking about the concessions they could make to the people on the other side. Capiche?
Umm.. no, they don't..

you can be all "gun free", and I'll keep mine..

too bad if that makes you uncomfortable.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post

Pure speculation. There is no evidence to suggest that the clerk would have been killed if he had simpy stepped away and let the robbery occur, as company policy called for him to do.
Im sure the clerk did not want to take that chance.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Umm.. no, they don't.. you can be all "gun free", and I'll keep mine.. too bad if that makes you uncomfortable.
Didn't you leave out the cold, dead, hands part? As is often the case, it's the set-in-stoners (on all sides) who are the actual problem here, and they will need to get off the pot at some point, like it or not.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Im sure the clerk did not want to take that chance.
Apparently. He seems quite content with his choices and reactions. Whether those were right or wise or justified or not would of course be a completely different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies