Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Regarding sending the military into battle unprepared and with inadequate equipment the same could be said for WW2,Korea and Vietnam.

The fact is U.S.A's military training and equipment is second to none,but is not always geared up to certain tactics the enemy might use and they must adapt as situations arise.

Trying to take back the bonuses is shameful.I agree that the military is underpaid and should recieve bonuses,I don't agree with the idea of $500,000 or $1,000,000 bonuses like some have claimes they should get but what was promised upfront should be held up.
World War II was a much bigger, imminent war, so was Korea. Even Vietnam was an escalation. We had more of a say on the Iraq situation. The fact is, we could've better prepared for it. I remember all the talk about how the Iraqis would 'greet us with open arms', and the war would last a few days, even the generals advising that we needed a larger invasion force.

I'm not even talking about body armor either. They sent ill-equipped Guard units over there with stuff left from Vietnam and prior. Working vehicles are basic military essentials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
The war needs to end. The troops need to come home. The situation over there for them is just inhuman and the war isn't making any real political progress. My guess is Bush is waiting to dump this stinky pile of poo onto the next administration, however.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Yes, it's disgusting. But is anyone really surprised? Bush's Defense secretary sends troops into Iraq without adequate equipment. Then his administration gives huge contracts to companies like Halliburton, who in 2005 exposed troops to contaminated water, said nothing about it, and then tried to deny it when it was discovered. And in the middle of the war, the administration cuts Veteran Administration funding.

When are people going to get it? Just because this man says he believes in something, doesn't mean he really does. He has never been concerned about the military; he did his best not to serve in it. He is only about the corporations that sell to the military.
Well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
The war needs to end. The troops need to come home. The situation over there for them is just inhuman and the war isn't making any real political progress. My guess is Bush is waiting to dump this stinky pile of poo onto the next administration, however.
Bring our men and women home.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Here we go again, is anyone that is informed surprised?
Yet they are paying the private companys like Blackwater almost a thousand dollars a day. Disgusting and shamful!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Hmm, truthiness

I think TriMT7 was mimicking the 'Colbert Report'
I was. And I need to be careful with it. Some people just don't "get it" and leave negative rep!

I have to remember my audience!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
TriMT7 - "And I need to be careful with it." - the power of Stephen Colbert

Follow up on the OP. The Defense Department is fixing the problem with the wounded veterans being asked to return their bonuses; plus reviewing their procedures to prevent future occurences.

TnHilltopper - do you have any more follow ups?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Follow up on the OP. The Defense Department is fixing the problem with the wounded veterans being asked to return their bonuses; plus reviewing their procedures to prevent future occurences.

TnHilltopper - do you have any more follow ups?
Nope, if they fix it then I'm happy.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i will write my senator today and urge that this practice stop right away. thank you for the valuable post.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-21-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i will write my senator today and urge that this practice stop right away. thank you for the valuable post.
Since they're already aware of the problem and apparently it shouldn't have happened in the first place.....you should also ask them to support womens suffrage in your timely letter.

Also, it's going to happen again.....just like some poor soul on Social Security is going to their benefits stopped as they are incorrectly listed as dead....it's the govt. and the nature of screw-ups occuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies