Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They aren't. I would expect any medication, including vaccines to have at least some side effects because that is the norm and to be expected when dealing with any medication. Old cold was responding to Ghostrider's post about a mythical vaccine. One that he (Ghostrider) dreamed up to have no side effects. A delusion, if you will, coming straight out of Ghostrider's mind, straight onto the page here on CD. Old cold responded to it, with humor because it was not based in reality and was in fact, ridiculous. The fact that you and Ghostrider are jumping on him for it just shows how far you will go to try to create an argument from thin air. Ghostrider's response is especially puzzling as he is using this an opportunity to slander people for responding to his delusional and ridiculous post.
Ghostrider only pointed out that the only vaccine acceptable to the anti-vaccine community would be one with no side effects. Old_cold confirmed that.

The problem with vaccine side effects is that, largely due to the Wakefield mess, people believe serious side effects are common with vaccines, when they are actually extremely rare. You yourself believe that, even when nurses who have actual experience giving vaccines tell you that they have never seen serious complications from them.

Why are vaccines held to a higher standard than say a drug used for general anesthesia? (Hint: Michael Jackson died from a drug used for general anesthesia --- misused, to be sure, but a drug with a far more risky safety profile than any vaccine that is routinely used in operating rooms every day.)

Oddly enough, there is a vaccine that comes close to Ghostrider's description. Not to derail the thread, but the HPV vaccines are close to 100% effective in preventing infection with the strains included and have close to no serious side effects (the worst being fainting after the injection, which can be watched for, passes with no ill effects, and is only dangerous if it leads to a fall.) The HPV vaccine has only been approved for general use since 2006, so it is a little short of the 10 year time frame in the example. They will prevent cancers related to the strains in the vaccine.

So why is there such controversy over the HPV vaccine? Answer: misuse of VAERS data to imply that there are large numbers of serious adverse effects from the vaccines, which is untrue.

Here Is How We Know Gardasil Has Not Killed 100 People - Forbes

So a vaccine that fits Ghostrider's example almost perfectly is vilified for non-existent adverse effects. Some people are just unwilling to accept any vaccine, will accept any anecdote blaming a problem on a vaccine as the gospel truth, and will consign any real scientific information about a vaccine to the garbage heap of conspiracy theory.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ghostrider only pointed out that the only vaccine acceptable to the anti-vaccine community would be one with no side effects. Old_cold confirmed that.
That is absolute BS and you know it. Ghostrider did not point out anything. I am seriously questioning your reading comprehension skills if you think that is what you read. And your sincerity.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
That is absolute BS and you know it. Ghostrider did not point out anything. I am seriously questioning your reading comprehension skills if you think that is what you read. And your sincerity.
It was subtle. Sorry it went over your head.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
They aren't. I would expect any medication, including vaccines to have at least some side effects because that is the norm and to be expected when dealing with any medication. Old cold was responding to Ghostrider's post about a mythical vaccine. One that he (Ghostrider) dreamed up to have no side effects. A delusion, if you will, coming straight out of Ghostrider's mind, straight onto the page here on CD. Old cold responded to it, with humor because it was not based in reality and was in fact, ridiculous. The fact that you and Ghostrider are jumping on him for it just shows how far you will go to try to create an argument from thin air. Ghostrider's response is especially puzzling as he is using this an opportunity to slander people for responding to his delusional and ridiculous post.

Remember my first post in this thread?
About people that have valid arguments but damage their own credibility by introducing and then vociferously defending questionable ones...and even stupid ones?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The problem with vaccine side effects is that, largely due to the Wakefield mess, people believe serious side effects are common with vaccines, when they are actually extremely rare. You yourself believe that, even when nurses who have actual experience giving vaccines tell you that they have never seen serious complications from them.

Why are vaccines held to a higher standard than say a drug used for general anesthesia? (Hint: Michael Jackson died from a drug used for general anesthesia --- misused, to be sure, but a drug with a far more risky safety profile than any vaccine that is routinely used in operating rooms every day.)

Oddly enough, there is a vaccine that comes close to Ghostrider's description. Not to derail the thread, but the HPV vaccines are close to 100% effective in preventing infection with the strains included and have close to no serious side effects (the worst being fainting after the injection, which can be watched for, passes with no ill effects, and is only dangerous if it leads to a fall.) The HPV vaccine has only been approved for general use since 2006, so it is a little short of the 10 year time frame in the example. They will prevent cancers related to the strains in the vaccine.

So why is there such controversy over the HPV vaccine? Answer: misuse of VAERS data to imply that there are large numbers of serious adverse effects from the vaccines, which is untrue.

Here Is How We Know Gardasil Has Not Killed 100 People - Forbes

So a vaccine that fits Ghostrider's example almost perfectly is vilified for non-existent adverse effects. Some people are just unwilling to accept any vaccine, will accept any anecdote blaming a problem on a vaccine as the gospel truth, and will consign any real scientific information about a vaccine to the garbage heap of conspiracy theory.
They don't get the term Hypothetical, they won't answer anything, but they know damned well if there were a vaccine developed that could prevent most cancers with an 80% effective rate, they would be the first in line.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452
You people are ridiculous, I have been receiving flu shots for 25 years with no ill/long term effects.
Your lucky!

I have an auto immune disease (seriosis) that i believe was caused by these stupid vaccines I USED TO HAVE years ago before I knew how bad they are!!!!!

THEY ARE TOXIC GARBAGE THAT SHOULD NOT BE INJECTED INTO YOU!!!!!

What do you think your NATURAL immune system is for -- SHOW AND TELL??

Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Your lucky!

I have an auto immune disease (seriosis) that i believe was caused by these stupid vaccines I USED TO HAVE years ago before I knew how bad they are!!!!!

Many people get psoriasis, It is not an uncommon condition, and I doubt it is caused by vaccines. Did you ever try high dose vitamin C (4 or 5 grams per day) It cleared up my eczema.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Your lucky!

Psoriasis existed before the first vaccine was ever invented.

A look at psoriasis through the ages - National Psoriasis Foundation

Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You people are ridiculous, I have been receiving flu shots for 25 years with no ill/long term effects. Where in Gods name do you people get your information?
You're not 6 months old and having just received a HUGE bunch of other vaccines as well.
If you'd looked at he vaccine schedule of todays infants compared to what YOU would have got, you MIGHT be able to understand.
Course you have to WANT to understand first.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Are you saying they are not?
They are not!!!!
With as much assurance as you seem to have saying they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies