Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And Jazz came from where?

The blues came from where?

Rock 'N Roll came from where?
As well as R&B and techno.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
In the words of Hank Williams Jr. "If ya don't like country ya can kiss my ass".
Isn`t he the racist gun nut puke that got himself kicked off the Monday Night Football intro?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Everyone. Country music is America's music. Bluegrass as well. Those are the only genre's of music truly native to America. And that genre is shared amongst both political parties, believe it or not.

Well OP, as a libertarian, I can tell you that while I have a wide variety when it comes to music, country (except for a hand full of songs) is not something I generally want to listen to.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
First of all, there are some very good country music stars that are very staunch Democrats like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw. Also, Brooks and Dunn are Democrats as well as the Dixie Chicks.
TIL

Quote:
Democrats like to look down on them as rednecks, but I think Dems could learn a thing or two. Maybe Democrats could learn to be a bit more country, embrace the second amendment, go hunting and enjoy true nature :P

In all honestly, I would like to get more liberals/Democrats involve in country and bluegrass music.
so this is a nuanced topic.

first question -- what qualifies as country? is clay aiken "country" ? because he's a democrat. are we limiting ourselves to one specific type of nashville country? are you considering what's called "Alt-country" ? Shovels & Rope, Drive-By Truckers, are they country?

second question -- what qualifies as bluegrass? this is a serious question. some people are very traditional about what type of music qualifies as 'bluegrass'. other people use the word to refer to any type of string band music with a bluegrass influence. Are the punch brothers considered bluegrass? How about yonder mountain string band?

i ask, because depending on what "version" of country you're listening to, you're going to get a different mix of political and social and even ethnic or racial groups.

do you suppose these are 4 republicans on stage at the grand ole opry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3XsHMOEQGc

Last edited by le roi; 02-07-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
In the words of Hank Williams Jr. "If ya don't like country ya can kiss my ass".
If I don't like the music I change the station, lil' Hanky can kiss his own ass.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
This is what I've observed in my life. I've met maybe one or two persons in my life who is a Democrat who likes country music. Other than that, pretty much every person that I've met who listened to country music is a Republican.

I've also noticed another pattern. It is highly ironic that Blacks played a part in helping to create country music, and I don't know a single Black person who likes country music. None, not even Blacks from rural areas.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In all honesty, I would like to get more conservatives involved in worldbeat and reggae.

I love reggae. At home we have Dish Network which has the SiriusXM channels. In the event that we do a music mash up on Saturday night, and don't feel like playing DJ by playing songs from You Tube, I'll hit up the SiriusXM channels. I try to every once in a while sneak the reggae channel on (called The Joint), but my wife doesn't really like it much. I'm like "WTF we spent our honeymoon in the Bahamas and you loved it!" Plus when it's been as cold as it's been (especially this winter) it just takes you to that warmer place. Not to mention after a toke or two, it's quite soothing.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Everyone. Country music is America's music. Bluegrass as well. Those are the only genre's of music truly native to America. And that genre is shared amongst both political parties, believe it or not.
Wrong. Jazz is the genre native to America.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Country music is not a Democrat or Republican thing, IMO.

I never liked country music even when I was a kid and didn't even know or care what a Democrat or a Republican was.

This AMERICAN Democrat doesn't care for country music and can't stand blue grass, jazz or hip hop.

It is not a political thing, it is just a personal preference thing.

As a Ron Paul / Ted Cruz conservative, I like all music, except elevator music.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I've observed in my life. I've met maybe one or two persons in my life who is a Democrat who likes country music. Other than that, pretty much every person that I've met who listened to country music is a Republican.

I've also noticed another pattern. It is highly ironic that Blacks played a part in helping to create country music, and I don't know a single Black person who likes country music. None, not even Blacks from rural areas.
You're the first person I've ever heard about that asks people listening to music about their political affiliation. The first thing that comes to mind is why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies