Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Back in the 60s, my parents were responsible for having feed me and preparing me for the upcoming school day.

Today, some people consider public schools to be nothing more than a day care center facility for kids.
I had a conversation with someone that runs a boys and girls club locally one day, and I asked why they dont build one in our neighborhood.

their response was that people who are poor, use them as a baby sitting service, and those in middle class neighborhoods want to spend time with their kids and wont send them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,113,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have a feeling these 'one million kids' are the children of conservatives, who are forcing their children to boycott the nutritious lunches just to make a statement.

When these changes first came about, some of these kids were interviewed. None of them looked hungry and/or poor. They looked like spoiled brats, actually.
Hahaha . . . Really?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
I have a feeling these 'one million kids' are the children of conservatives, who are forcing their children to boycott the nutritious lunches just to make a statement.

When these changes first came about, some of these kids were interviewed. None of them looked hungry and/or poor. They looked like spoiled brats, actually.
You have a "feeling" they are children of conservatives...one million children of conservatives boycotting just to prove a point? Seriously????

btw, how can you tell if someone is hungry or poor just by looking at their picture?

Some posts here are pure entertainment.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Oh please....you know how hard it is to get fired for being a teacher.......

Here are 700 teachers that should be gone...but yet, they are not...thank you UNIONS....

It's an old article, but stilll provides a point...

New York Teachers Paid To Do Nothing: 700 Of Them

Again, where are the parents? Why are the parents not takinig care of thier child?

I can see the teacher worrying about the child and bring it up to the school officials, but that is about it.
I've seen teachers do a lot more then just report it to officials, which can also include Child Protective Services. I've seen them buy food, clothing, eyeglasses and other general school supplies. I've seen them wage lengthy campaigns with school administrators and parents to obtain services for struggling students.

I've known teachers who took students who were over a year behind grade level and advance them over a year. However for the student to be tested as proficient at grade level the the student needed to advance over 2 years.

In the end, all their efforts are judged on the standardized tests. When the scores come in low; the blame game begins and one of the number one targets is Unionized teachers. Sometimes the parents role will also be included, but usually lower down on the list.

I've also seen teachers fired. Normally it requires sustained effort, more effort then apparently some school administrators want to make.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Problem............Moochelle blew it is the problem. How much money and food has been wasted by this madness? Liberals of course don't care because it of course "feels" good to do. Common sense is what is needed.........and it has been lost. Those million parents have it though.
What are you talking about. They change the meals. 1 million students chose not to by the lunch meals and their families provided them with bag lunches. Schools have to serve 1 million less. Everybody wins. What waste are you talking about?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The problem is we've been told for decades that parents wont feed their children and thats why they have to eat breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner there..
Nobody's been told that. Besides if 1 million kids voluntarily decide not to eat school lunches, that means:

1) They brought their own lunch or
2) Not hungry

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Hahaha . . . Really?
Yeah, really.

Just glance through the threads here to see how petty and whacked out some conservatives can be.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I've seen teachers do a lot more then just report it to officials, which can also include Child Protective Services. I've seen them buy food, clothing, eyeglasses and other general school supplies. I've seen them wage lengthy campaigns with school administrators and parents to obtain services for struggling students.

I've known teachers who took students who were over a year behind grade level and advance them over a year. However for the student to be tested as proficient at grade level the the student needed to advance over 2 years.

In the end, all their efforts are judged on the standardized tests. When the scores come in low; the blame game begins and one of the number one targets is Unionized teachers. Sometimes the parents role will also be included, but usually lower down on the list.

I've also seen teachers fired. Normally it requires sustained effort, more effort then apparently some school administrators want to make.
The only thing you have provided is parents are not being parents....

There are great teacher out there, no doubt. Many people other than teacher go out of their way to help needy children, no doubt...hell we (me and my wife) do it for her sister.

In the end, it's the parents...how their children perform in life/school/jobs

Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Yeah, really.

Just glance through the threads here to see how petty and whacked out some conservatives can be.
Then provide some real evidence, that backs up your thought. If you can...Do you really want us to just trust you and your word...after the comments you have made....LOL...........

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She's almost 6' tall and in terrific shape, substantially better than the majority of the people.

I'm assuming you are her personal physician, because only her doctor would know that she's in "terrific shape".

Be careful about judging books by their covers. Sure, she "appears" to be in good shape (rather large rear-end notwithstanding), but only her doctor knows for sure.

I'm never impressed whe someone like Michelle Obama looks like they are "in shape". When you don't have a M-F job, don't have to pay your own bills, and have access to whatever food you'd like, you should be in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies